Thinking of joining Werner from school?

Discussion in 'Discuss Your Favorite Trucking Company Here' started by Nirb, Mar 30, 2008.

1. Nirb

Nirb Bobtail Member

Mar 30, 2008
    Tennessee
    Well first off i figured i would post a thread about the Werner experience since i relied on this forum when i was choosing a company to go to, so thanks to who runs this forum!

I will just state the facts here.

Yes if you get a pre approval Werner will hire you, they will put u in one of there many places for a 2 day crash course oreintation in which you also have to complete a series of CBT's (Computer based Training). After that you wait at a hotel supplied by Werner for a Trainer. The average wait time from what i can tell is around 3 days - 10 days depending on your pickiness, if u ask for a trainer that smokes if u can deal with it drops the wait down a bit to. Once training i have heard stories about different trainers, dorty ones, nasty ones etc.. Which im sure could be true mine was fine not the smartest apple in the tree but did what he was suppose to do and that was to train me. Training does last 275 hrs, however be prepared to stay out anywhere from an extra 50hrs - 150hrs due to lack of frieght, trucks etc.. They do pay u extra for staying out, however during training you will make only around $239 after taxes a week, which really is very hard to survive on so make sure you are aware of this and plan accordingly becuase this pay can last for about 6 weeks depending how quick you can knock out your 275 hours which is only driving hours.

Once your done with training you go back to a terminal take some more CBT's and then they try to assign you a truck. The average wait from asking people and from my own point of view is around 4 - 8 days. You will most likely not get a brand new truck, the truck you will get will most likely be about 3 years old with a average of 315,000 - 350,000 miles on it. Yes you will most likely have some complaints regarding your used truck but there is not much you can do just get in and get a driving. Also during the orientation they tell you about per diem and they say there is no advantage to Werner taking out per diem for you. However there is a slight one if you choose that option you will start out .25 a mile for vans and .23 a mile for flats. Plus the brochure they gave you that says .32 a mile is highly unlikely startung out as it considers bonuses in which are very hard to achieve like 6.5 mpg and have to stop at a terminal to fuel up in order to reiceve the bonus which is very unpractical out on the road.

However if you decide to choose Werner they are a good company from my opinion, they offer you job, you get the job, you get a truck and you drive. The pay is quite low not going to mention exactly how much u should expect to get paid becuase it differs for everyone however I have seen people mention 800 - 1100 a week. You will not get that starting out with Werner think more around 500 - 750. I hope this helps anyone who is deciding which trucking company to go to. Thanks ( the facts are not based on my personal experience alone, as i have had 3 friends start with Werner same time as i have and this has been the same for all 3 of us, plus we are also in different divisions)

Puggsly and mickar Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Rocks

Rocks Road Train Member

Jan 13, 2008
    Somewhere
    Hi Nirb, I have posted a thread named Why Werner, asking anybody who pick this co., or is going through training or has less than 6 months with them, to tell why they chose Werner and share their experience with us. So far, nobody has replied. Would you tell me why you chose Werner? Thanks.

4. Brickman

Brickman Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Sep 17, 2006
    WY

I wouldn't work for them for the fact they are screwing their drivers from the first mile driven.

5. Nirb

Nirb Bobtail Member

Mar 30, 2008
    Tennessee
    Rocks: The choices where limited to a student just starting out, Werner, Schneider, Swift, U.S. Express. Where the options i could find. I tried smaller company like TMC becuase i am a OTR flats but they prefer experience in which i currently did not have so honestly it was a coin flip from reading stuff in this forum of course you cannot really rely on the recruiters becuase well we all know that the stuff that comes from them are a bit stretched out truths. Plus my Father and Grandfather drove truck for a living so i took there advice what company would be best to start your career with.

Brickman: I agree when i found out you really do not get the .32 i was a bit shocked one of the reasons i wrote this post, however once you pack your stuff make the commitment its kinda hard to well let me rethink this so i just went with it.

6. Rocks

Rocks Road Train Member

Jan 13, 2008
    Somewhere
    You said your choices were Werner, Schneider, etc... and you chose Werner over Schneider? Another question, what has been your experience with that electronic QC? I keep thinking, what happens if I need just a few more minutes driving to find a place to park for the night and the darn thing will show I am out of driving hours (situations like that). I guess your trainer teachs you how to deal with that, right? How many trainers did you have? Were they all good? Are you driving solo now? I'm jus trying to get an idea. Thx.

7. Nirb

Nirb Bobtail Member

Mar 30, 2008
    Tennessee
    I will tell you right now not all trainers are good with Werner hopefully if you go with Werner you get a good trainer that knows what they are talking about. Me personally even though i did not 100% like my trainer and he was a bit odd i stuck it out i was not going back to the terminal to delay me getting a truck and wait for another trainer. Some people I have talked to went thru 4-5 trainers and there training then took about 9 - 11 weeks. You don't get paid enough during training to drag it out. I also opted to stay out in stead of going home, which one of my friends did go home and he got his truck about 9 days after i did so either way works. As for the QC well its a pain in the rear yes you do not have to do logs but u also have to follow a computer in which times are pretty much exact , there is no way to strecth ur 14 hr day, also there is no way to cut ur 10 hr break short which i will admit can be frustrating u pull into a rest area shut down for the night get ready 10 hrs later and ur the lats one in the rest area becuase the drivers next to u cut there break short a 1hr or so. I have had only 2 violations with running out of hours and i have had my truck for about 3 months now, so it will happen you will get warnings at 1st i heard if it happens to much they call u in a terminal and make u take a logs class. You can trick the QC on certain things to get where u need to get to you will see what i mean if u join Werner.

The good thing about Werner is that here i am now in my own truck so what they promised they would do happened even if the pay is a bit low figured hey im starting a new career cannot make top pay right away. Thats basically what i wanted i heard all the horror stories about companies giving u pre hires then sending u home for no reason or never giving u a truck, plus i also checked the stocks just to see which company is doing good in this stale economy and wern seems to be one of the better stocks for truck companies.

Puggsly Thanks this.
  8. Rocks

Rocks Road Train Member

Jan 13, 2008
    Somewhere
    Thank you, Nirb. Werner is waiting for me to schedule orientation. But I don't know... I was accepted by Transport America, Covenant, and will call Prime tomorrow. Will have to make up my mind soon. Keep us posted, and stay safe out there.

9. Nirb

Nirb Bobtail Member

Mar 30, 2008
    Tennessee
    Your welcomed man good luck with ur decision. One point i should point out is Werner does give you the miles i run about 2,800 - 3,800 a week so thats a plus compared to some stories i hear out here on the road about drivers with other companies complaining about only getting 1,500 miles a week.

Puggsly Thanks this.
  10. IROCUBabe

IROCUBabe Road Train Member

Apr 9, 2008
    Dallas, TX
    I started out at 32 cents, on the 48 states... regional has a sliding pay scale, the more miles you do the less you get paid per mile, the less the more you get paid.

Its like 100 or less miles - 36 cents 500 or more 28 cents sorta sliding scale.

My first week prior to going team I made 750, at 32 cents a mile running majority sears loads.

11. Smokeeater

Smokeeater Light Load Member

Feb 24, 2007
    Oklahoma
    Also for the Werner prospects, it might not hurt to pray that you don't get later_dude's trainer. Just a little FYI or public service announcement:bootyshake: This smiley , his view from the top bunk. Good luck!

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.