Thinking of making a temporary career change is it worth it?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Flyboy88, Feb 8, 2021.

1. Flyboy88

Flyboy88 Bobtail Member

Feb 8, 2021
    Hey all
    I’m currently a commuter airline captain that flies single engine turbo props. To move on in the industry I need a couple more ratings that will cost me in the tens of thousands of dollars. The issue is I’m making in the low 30s and it’s barely enough to pay my bills let alone paying for all the stuff I need to progress. Plus my company is pretty terrible and sounds a lot like some of the bad companies I’ve read about here. I don’t want to get out of aviation but at this point I’m pretty well stuck.
    I’ll need to get my CDL-A, and I’ve already started research on a few companies that can provide that. I’m 32, living in northwest Alabama with my wife and 2 year old and have a clean record. I’ve looked at Roehl (mostly for their training but I’m aware of their reputation), Maverick, Swift Refrigerated and Stevens Transport. My family has adjusted pretty well to me being away from home already as I’ve been flying for almost 2 years now professionally and was an aircraft mechanic for 8 prior to that. My question is, can I reasonably expect to make more than 30k? And is it worth the career change for a couple of years? What does home time really look like? I’ve read all the touted salaries and benefits put out by the carriers Ive looked at, but I’ve been around the block enough to know the difference in what’s real and what isn’t. What do you guys and gals think?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    You won't have any trouble at all making $60K+ after all training is complete.
    We'll help you get started.
    You probably are eligible for free private cdl school through the Alabama WIOA program since you're currently in a low paying job.
    Being a pilot, you're familiar with drug tests, so be prepared for that in trucking on a regular basis; hair follicle & urine.

4. GYPSY65

GYPSY65 Road Train Member

Nov 16, 2012
    SW FLA
    You can make that and more as stated above
    But I would think you are going to dick up your aviation license somehow

Either by being away from it and missing out on important training or ??
    Or just an absence in your resume may cause the next job to look at others and pass you over

I personally would relocate your family to a different zip code that has a company in your field that can move you up the ladder

Last edited: Feb 8, 2021
  5. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Here's an excellent job and can probably easily make $65 - $80K per year.
    This is where the Alabama WIOA program will help because it requires a 200 hr. cdl school.
    Heniff has a terminal in Decatur, AL
    ~
    Heniff Transportation Systems, LLC. | Heniff Transportation
    Heniff Transportation Systems, LLC.
    • For Entry Level drivers- Must attend a class A CDL Truck Driving Training course with at least 200 hours of instruction and provide transcripts. Must present Diploma for Entry Level Driver Training in Accordance with 49 CFR 380.503
    • [​IMG]

Mooseontheloose Thanks this.
  6. smokey12

smokey12 Road Train Member

May 30, 2012
    Look in to Millis. They provide training and are not too far from you in Cartersville Ga. They have a decent reputation as far as I know. Like Chinatown says yes u probably qualify for assistance and can go to a community college near you.. that's what I did but paid myself..it's a lot less going that route. Company schools charge three times as much and take it out of your pay over time. But..sometimes the company school route is better, just depends on your situation, good luck!

Flyboy88 and Chinatown Thank this.
  7. Flyboy88

Flyboy88 Bobtail Member

Feb 8, 2021
    As long as I stay current (3 take off and landings in 90 days and 6 instrument approaches in 6 months) I won’t really lose much. I’ve greatly considered the gap in aviation employment, but without the other ratings I need, I can’t even apply to places that might pass me over if that makes sense. I would be getting the other ratings on my home time so I’d still be flying and building that resume. Unfortunately my company pays the same regardless of where the pilots live and NW Alabama is actually one of the cheapest places to live in our system. Plus all of our family is here so child care is free. I’ve lived in Chicago and Nashville at different companies as a mechanic. Better pay but cost of living is higher so it evens out, just with bigger numbers.

tscottme, Bean Jr. and GYPSY65 Thank this.
  8. Flyboy88

Flyboy88 Bobtail Member

Feb 8, 2021
    Awesome! I’ll check into the WIOA program. I didn’t know that existed.

9. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Private cdl school through the WIOA program gives you more choices of companies.
    I'd put Heniff Transportation at the top of the list though.

tscottme and Flyboy88 Thank this.
  10. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Another good company that hires from private schools is Old Dominion Freight Line.
    Nearest terminals to you are Huntsville and Birmingham. $70K+ for these jobs and can lead to much more.
    • Must have 12 months previous tractor-trailer driving experience OR be a graduate of a State Certified, Licensed and Safety Department approved driving school, OR have satisfactorily completed the Old Dominion Truck Driver Training school
    [​IMG].[​IMG]

K_R Thanks this.
  11. GYPSY65

GYPSY65 Road Train Member

Nov 16, 2012
    SW FLA
    I’m not on this forum a ton but what’s your background or job?

when I am here I notice that you can answer almost anyone’s question about where to work per their own personal situation and with backed up info as you have here

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.