This is for every kllm driver

Discussion in 'KLLM' started by woodtown318, Aug 23, 2009.

1. woodtown318

woodtown318 Bobtail Member

Aug 20, 2009
    lafayette,la
    It's down to the wire between KLLM & ARROW. I gotta make a decision by tuesday. I need to know miles per week with net pay no deduction, for 4 weeks. Not to get personal peeps, but kllm got arrow beat by a long shot with management. On the dollar side, i don't know for sure. I'm a military man for 8yrs so i can put up with a little bs. On the other hand i got a family to feed and bills not just to pay, but git rid of. U guys that been with the company for less than a year, maybe able to get this 1 for me. I think its .32cpm til after a year of service. Oh yeah, i have all endorsement plus twic.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. dancnoone

dancnoone "Village Idiot"

May 6, 2007
    Mississippi
    I haven't worked for either.

But my money would be on KLLM.

There's always freight for a reefer, dry or temp controlled.

Not true for a flat. I know some will disagree....but that's been my experience.

4. leannamarie

leannamarie "California Girl"

Arrow was one that we were considering before making our decision, just because they had lax hiring policies and we knew he could get in there, so it was our fall-back choice if a better carrier wouldn't hire him. I would recommend KLLM. They have been very good to us. I know I sure hear alot more negative comments about Arrow than I do about KLLM.

5. justanothercrzytrkdrvr

justanothercrzytrkdrvr Light Load Member

Dec 14, 2008
    Fort Worth Tx
    I agree, I would go with a refrigerated carrier in this economy if you can get on with them.

There will no doubt be some things that you are not going to like about either one and things that you will. However, I think that overall you would be more satisfied at KLLM.

Flatbed freight is suffering right now so I would stay away for a while longer. That's just my opinion though.

6. Jarhed1964

Jarhed1964 Road Train Member

Jun 22, 2007
    Charlotte, NC
    PLEASE do yourself a favor and dont even give Arrow a second look. KLLM vs Arrow is like the difference between a Country Club and a busted up basketball court in 'da hood'.

7. newbiewannadoitright

newbiewannadoitright "Right Wing Nut Job"

Sep 26, 2007
    Cajun Land
    I hear alot of people complain about reefer trucking. It's too loud, loading and unloading can be slow, etc. Here's the skinny at KLLM and reefer freight. In this economy, you do what you have to do, and haul whatever you can. This past week, I hauled -10 degree frozen stuff, a load of flooring adhesive that was non-reefer, a load of dry goods that had to be kept at 70 degrees while in shipping (almost non-reefer and rarely kicked on) and some candy at about 40 degrees. I have also hauled more non-reefer dry goods like kitchen and household cleaning products, a load of pallets, big totes of kerosene, you get the picture. With reefer equipped trailers you can haul almost anything, and you will stay rolling. I never finish a load without having a pre-plan for my next one. I rarely deadhead over 40 or 50 miles to get my next load. A good washout of the trailer by blue beacon or one of the others and you're ready to go.

Yes, SOME of the cold storage warehouses are slow and some are rude. That's who they are and employ in some areas. SOME places are better or worse than others. Smaller ones seem to be faster and friendlier than big warehouses with 50 trucks trying to get in and out. I always try to be nice and have a smile. One of the reasons that some are rude, is because so many drivers come in 24 hours a day, complaining and being obnoxious. I've seen it. A smile and good attitude will go a long way. There have been many times when I got loaded first after "rude boy" was already hooked up to a door and waiting for an hour. Don't get me wrong, I'm not always smiles and happy, but even acting like you are can help in any place you are getting a load. Also, being relatively CLEAN and not smelling like a goat can help. It's not always easy to get a shower, but I do keep a large salad bowl, some bottled water and a bottle of Dr. Bonners Peppermint Soap and a washcloth and towel in the truck. It's as easy as pulling your curtains shut, making some soapy water in your bowl, and taking a "sitz bath", or Hospital bath before bedtime, along with a quick shave and brushing your teeth. You can dump the water out in the grass. It's not a complete shower, but you will smell better and your morale will improve when you are clean. So will your image at the shipper.

The reefer units we use are mostly the newer Carriers. For the most part, they are much quieter than the older units. Some of the sub-frozen loads can cause the unit to work more and are somewhat louder, but for the most part, the reefers are tolerable and I sleep just fine. I slept on a band tour bus for years with an Onan Generator humming in the background. The drone actually lulls me to sleep some nights and keeps you from hearing the constant in and out traffic of the truck stop or rest area.
    You can always haul flatbed, and have the busted knuckles, dirty sweaty clothes and scuffed up arms, along with tarping and strapping in 20 degree weather with 40 mph winds. Don't get me wrong, some guys love it and wouldn't do anything else, but it's not for me. I see alot of Maverick trucks on the road, along with some TMC guys. You might talk with NoTarps and see how freight is comming along if you want to yank a skateboard. Sorry, I'll walk outside and flip the switch and setting on my reefer unit. :biggrin_25520:

Last edited: Aug 31, 2009
    RoadToad69 Thanks this.
  8. Allow Me.

Allow Me. Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

May 28, 2009
    Rancho Mirage, Ca.
    Kllm, Arrow is too messed up/disorganized....

9. Jarhed1964

Jarhed1964 Road Train Member

Jun 22, 2007
    Charlotte, NC
    Hey Newbie,

Glad to see you are doing well!!! I'm still kicking myself for not taking that offer from KLLM in Dec 2007.

:biggrin_2556:

No biggie, I'm a Health Ins Broker now, but cant get that #### diesel out of my veins. Will def go reefer if/when (lets face it, it's a when) I get back into trucking.

You getting decent miles these days?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.