This is private property, you can't park there

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by iceman32, Sep 18, 2016.

1. str8t10

str8t10 Medium Load Member

Apr 25, 2015
    Rochester,ny
    I've been out of hrs and parked in small gas stations or strip malls before. When asked to leave I explained my situation, and that it's not legal for me to drive for x hrs. Also I should have planned my trip a little better, but I'd leave as soon as it was legal to do so and wouldn't park there again without permission. That happened 3 times and they always let me stay the rest of my break. A little manners go a long way. So does trip planning lol. I'd say find another place to park because after this encounter there will be signs and or Gates to keep you out. Good luck

KillingTime and carramrod32 Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. rasymacmac21

rasymacmac21 Light Load Member

Sep 25, 2009
    East of the Mississippi.
    Lol. But if they ask you to move, then just move. Signs or no signs. It isn't your property. Now I hope they tow your truck away so you can pay a heavy price.

4. iceman32

iceman32 Medium Load Member

Sep 26, 2014
    Wow such negativity. This place is a strip mall with a Walmart.

If you guys started refuting problems instead of dismissing them, we wouldn't have such a bad image and reputation.

Heres my update. The tow truck and security supervisor did come and I called the cops. The cop defused the situation. He said "This is a private property but there is no signs saying trucks can't be parked or any tow away zones. Now I won't stop you from towing it away. Heres the thing, you cannot dictate or kickout anyone who comes into your business in terms of if that individual will shop or not. Just because a person comes in, looks around and doesn't buy anything, you can't just decided on your own to kick out that individual. This is how I see this situation and Im pretty sure this is how the judge will see it also, if this driver takes it to court".

So problem solved, and I get to rest at home peacefully.

This community's response is the perfect reflection of how you drivers are out there. Your always criticizing, never encouraging. Your always watching, your never going to get out and help. Such a pity.

Ooops, Lucy in the Sky and Finfn1372 Thank this.
  5. not4hire

not4hire Road Train Member

May 16, 2012
    Calgary
    I would respond, but my doctor told me to cut back on my irony intake.

6. tscottme

tscottme Road Train Member

Some WalMarts are on leased land owned by someone else. WM is just a tenant and must abide by landlord rules. That's why some WM allows truck and some do not. The WM near the auto maker in town has No Truck, towed at owner expense signs. Most of the time they allow trucks. Then after a few months and after the parking lot is full of trucks overnight they enforce the no truck signs. Usually they have the local police chase out the trucks. A few weeks to a month later they allow trucks again. They always enforce the no truck signs leading up to Thanksgiving and Christmas so they can use the truck parking are for extra seasonal storage.

Arguing with WM is like winning an argument with your wife. Even if you win you will lose.

carramrod32 Thanks this.
  7. tscottme

Yeah drivers tell the auto maker in town, after they make a delivery to the auto maker "I'm out of hours and if you kick me off the property you will be violating federal regulations. Umm, no. The driver is covered by HOS, not the shipper/receiver.

JC1971 Thanks this.
  8. tscottme

I worked at a gas station. What we learned is that if we let one truck park for an hour we would have more trucks before the hour was up. Seeing a truck signaled to other truck drivers the place was ok with trucks. Our pavement wasn't not meant for truck traffic and the pavement was quickly broken and rutted. One driver chewed me out for not having the pavement fixed. "Did I know how rough it was to drive over that pothole?"

tucker Thanks this.
  9. str8t10

str8t10 Medium Load Member

Apr 25, 2015
    Rochester,ny
    Well as I said I didn't park there again without permission. But you're right. One truck parked will invite others. I can't argue that. I've got a pretty good rhythm going now and know or plan where I'm gonna park. Only once in the last 6 or 8 months I left myself hanging and had to go off route to find a place to park for the night.

10. JC1971

JC1971 Road Train Member

Jul 29, 2013
    L.A.
    I'd love to see a driver tell that to a business owner in a rural area of Texas.

11. Grumppy

Grumppy Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Dec 11, 2010
    West Monroe, La
    Sounds like you got yourself a democratic little town there.... must be in California.

ramblingman Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.