This trailer tire wear pattern...

Discussion in 'Heavy Duty Diesel Truck Mechanics Forum' started by TallJoe, Dec 29, 2018.

1. TallJoe

TallJoe Road Train Member

Apr 12, 2016
    Chicagoland
    So there is not really a max pressure threshold per tire stated somewhere on the sidewall? Of course, there must be a max pressure above which the tire will rapture but it should be well above the rim maximum pressure...am I correct?
    In other words, is over inflating tires as long as it is below the rim max pressure threshold not a risky thing to do?

Rideandrepair and PE_T Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Lyle H

Lyle H Road Train Member

Apr 16, 2014
    In my opinion, it is safe.

KB3MMX and daf105paccar Thank this.
  4. PE_T

PE_T Road Train Member

You make a bit more sense on this comment, except for the last part about exceeding the max cold psi to correct irregular wear. I don’t think it’s a good idea to exceed the max cold psi on the sidewall of the tire. You can do it, and the tire will probably hold, but then there is the possibility of irregular tire wear from over-inflation.

Now, Michelin’s website has “load and inflation tables” where you can find the best psi for your tires based on the operation of the tire (single or dual) and the load the tire will be holding. There are different tables for different tire sizes and models. You know you are looking at the correct table for your tires if it matches in size, model, and max load/pressure on sidewall (images below).

Load & Inflation Tables | Michelin Truck

Attached Files:

npok and Rideandrepair Thank this.
  5. daf105paccar

daf105paccar Road Train Member

Apr 15, 2012
    Question for you.
    How long have you been buying your own tires?

KB3MMX Thanks this.
  6. PE_T

PE_T Road Train Member

I couldn’t find information on Michelin’s website supporting your claims.

@TallJoe

Michelin isn’t very clear on if tires have max air pressures. It just seems to be implied that if you put 11,960 pounds on two steer tires (image below), you want to have the tires at 105 psi (no more or less). Additionally, we know there is such a thing as over-inflation tire wear, so there must be a psi (based on load weight) that if exceeded causes irregular tire wear. One way to know if you are over-inflating it is if the very center of the tire tread depth is less than the lines next to it.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 4, 2019
    Reason for edit: Spelling
    Rideandrepair Thanks this.
  7. PE_T

PE_T Road Train Member

What difference does it make? Suppose I said I have been purchasing tires for 20 years. Could I still be wrong? I don’t see how that question is relevant to my statements. An argument stands or falls on its own merits. It sounds like an “ad hominem” you’re pulling.

Ad hominem - Wikipedia

8. KB3MMX

KB3MMX Road Train Member

Dec 29, 2014
    Orrstown, PA
    I'm thinking he's wondering because those invested "should" pay the greatest attention ... But tire knowledge is something in short supply with allot of drivers and people in general.
    IDK.

npok, Rideandrepair and daf105paccar Thank this.
  9. daf105paccar

daf105paccar Road Train Member

Apr 15, 2012
    The reason i ask is because what @PE_Trans proposes is to do basicly nothing.
    That will not help the OP with his "damaged" tires.
    So if he wants to concider that personal................so be it.

As to the merits off my viewpoint..............stated that in one off me replies above.
    So i speak from personal experience.

KB3MMX and Rideandrepair Thank this.
  10. PE_T

PE_T Road Train Member

I didn’t say to do nothing. I haven’t proposed anything. Those are two different positions. I did say that what some of you are proposing (over-inflating the tires) seems like a bad idea, and something I don’t see myself doing. I suspect there is a possibility of over-inflation tire wear if tires are inflated to 120 or 135 cold. So, doing this may not be helping much as you are concentrating most of the weight of the truck on a specific area of the tire, therefore, making it wear more in the center.

It’s also worth mentioning what “cold state” means as we are all assuming we know what that means. When tire manufacturers say to inflate tires when cold, they mean typically after the tires have not been driven for several hours and in the morning before sunrise. Factors that affect tire psi are: ambient temperature, sunlight, and tire-road friction. So, if you are inflating your tires at 120 in the middle of the day, that may just be about 113 cold state.

https://m.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=196

Last edited: Jan 6, 2019
    Reason for edit: Spelling
  11. PE_T

PE_T Road Train Member

838AE02C-8053-489F-8247-23D357126162.jpeg
    I found this website with pictures of truck tire wear with explanations and solutions. There are three different documents (steer, drive, and trailer).

Tire Wear | BFGoodrich Truck Tires

bigguns, Rideandrepair and TallJoe Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.