This whole thing is a pain!

Discussion in 'Trucking Jobs' started by slatherd, Feb 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. slatherd

slatherd Light Load Member

Feb 2, 2007
    I'm tellin ya, I wish now I never set foot into trucking school. It's been constant grief since day 1. A lot of hurry up and wait, empy promises and piles of crap.

I realize you are going to have a certian level of grief no matter what industry you go into, but trucking has to be the worst I have ever dealt with.

I am at Werner now. It has taken a week to get a nonsmoking trainer. Most of the guys that went out ahead of me tell me about their trainers putting them in the drivers seat and going to sleep.

I called Schneider, their website says they have all sorts of stuff going on in Michigan. I called early and the message says, "our office is open from 7 am to 6 pm M-f". Well, here it is Monday at 830 and they are just now answering the phones.

I call them. and they say no. All we have is OTR. Now, I understand being a new driver you arent going to get these cake gigs. But dont say you have it when you dont even offer it. I also found out that if you dont pass their 3 day orientation, they make you stay on for a 14 day orientation. which would be fine, but they make you sign a 1 year contract to do it.

No thanks. I'll stay where I am.

I still say I have made a big mistake.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. 2xR

2xR Medium Load Member

Dec 12, 2006
    Ol' North State
    You are most certainly correct making that assessment. That is the primary reason what we do is referred to as "work", or, a "job". If it was easy, fun, and desirable to do it would be called "vacation", or, "holiday". :joker:

4. pro1driver

pro1driver Heavy Load Member

Mar 30, 2006
    North East, USA
    and this from you the other day:

i guess that "mole hill" is starting afterall........??

yes, a certain amount of BS from any job. you "requested" a non-smoker trainer..........that killed you right off the starting gate.

trucking is NO WORSE than any other industry, again, you have lost your patience with the whole picture. there are only so many driver trainers for all the students any trucking company gets each week.

schnieder made a "blankket statement" as to what was available, and they were probably "presuming" that experienced drivers were going to answer the ads and make the phone calls.

yes, you did make a big mistake when you said: "Sure, its not all perfect but it seems a lot of it is just people making a mountain out of a mole hill".

you realize now that you made a mistake, now its how you handle the situation from this day forward. buck up, and in due time you too will be on your way down the road. then when time warants it, you can go to another company if you are still dissatisfied with werner.

but remember, anyplace you go to, with so little experience like you have now, you will "hurry up and wait"..........its the nature of the industry. get used to it, or find employment elsewhere's, as you will not be able to adjust to this industry and its practices..............

give it time, patience, and understand of the "whole picture" that is in front of you. you are not alone, far from it. every student faces his or her own problems. this is what we tried to tell everyone who comes here to these boards..............

5. slatherd

slatherd Light Load Member

Feb 2, 2007
    Well, I wont own up to making a mistake about my mole hill comment. Because I know people personally that have done that.

And I also said that I know there is a certian level of grief with any industry. I've been a machinist, a loss prevention manager, a mortgage consultant and a bouncer to name a few. And none of those other jobs have ammounted to this. Not one. even the drama that went on it bouncing at nightclubs had this much.

I dont know where it comes from? Is it the lack of care from the owners? Only caring about the bottom line? I dunno.

One thing I have noticed is that there is a lot of arrogance with the drivers. From the refreshers at my school, to online to the guys at the terminal. I cant see arrogance on both sides of the table getting along very well. vinegar and water.

6. pro1driver

pro1driver Heavy Load Member

Mar 30, 2006
    North East, USA
    i don't know where it comes from either. maybe everyone is so "involved" with themselves, no one else matters..? yes, it too can be lack of care from the owners. afterall, they have seen more problems over the years than the "average" employer, what with regulations, laws, rules, etc, and the high cost of everything. i think it "dips" into their bottom dollar, more than they ever wanted to "give up".

the people going thru "refresher" courses are probably angry that they have to go through this, but why did they give up trucking in the first place..? we won't know, so they blame everyone else for thier problems.

water/vinegar for sure. do your time, be done with it, don't even say good-bye. just walk out when you're done, and don't look back.

7. Smurf

Smurf Light Load Member

Sep 9, 2006
    Arky Saw
    You think thats bad? Wait till you start looking for a parking spot in the middle of night dead tired and hope like #### you don't back into someone. One thing you have to have in this industry is Patience. Sorry you're having to deal with things like this but all of us at some point had to go through . It does get better. Good luck.

8. stranger

stranger Road Train Member

Oct 10, 2006
    NC

I'm not trying to be smart or anything by my answer, but the things you mentioned in that sentence have not even began yet.

You will rush somewhere without sleep or food to make an appointment, only to be met with anger, rudeness, and many, many hours of waiting.

You will be promised things by everyone from the dispatchers, to the shippers/receivers, and much of it will not be true. Examples are: miles promised, home time, truck repairs, pay, pickup and delivery times, loads promised that went to someone else, and much more. If it can be lied about, you will hear it.

As far as the crap, you will be treated like crap by dispatchers, mechanics, DOT officials, police, shippers, receivers, other drivers, 4 wheelers, and life in general.

Trucking is a hurry up and wait world, with much stress. Sometimes more aggervation and stress than you think you can bear.

It takes a certain mentality to do this job. Maybe we are all just crazy for doing this.

I can understand your frustrations. The things I mentioned are not in order to bad mouth this industry, or to try to scare you off. There will be many good days in trucking, but there will also be many days that are much worse than I spoke of.

Try to prepare yourself for these things now before you are in a situation, and are at the end of your rope. The bad days will come, sometimes with a worse one the next.

This is why you must enjoy the good ones when you have them.

9. Yeti

Yeti Bobtail Member

I am considering Werner, I was just wondering, how long have you been there thus far? Do you even know how long you will be there?

Thanks,
    Yeti.

10. truckerjaw

truckerjaw Light Load Member

Feb 6, 2007
    If you want my two cents here it is. No offense but if your already this frustrated you might want to find a different line of work because what your talking about is nothing compared to whats out on the open road.

11. Yeti

Yeti Bobtail Member

Well, Well....

I guess the answer to my question was top secret!!! :toothy7:

Yeti.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

• Thread Status:
    Not open for further replies.