Those that need/want to Fleece Purchase from a carrier

Discussion in 'Lease Purchase Trucking Forum' started by SamTheMan, Jul 6, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. speedracer 1963

speedracer 1963 Medium Load Member

Jan 12, 2008
    illinois
    nice try That wasn't the original post you left. But your starting to come around

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. pattyj

pattyj Road Train Member

Jul 19, 2008
    Sioux City,ia
    All excellent points you made snowwy as to why I won't lease.In reality you're nothing more then a company driver making their trk payments.You don't get any freedom do you?and don't they casterate your trk like all the company trks?I imagine companies are making a huge profit from you drivers that don't think and don't have any knowlege of the trking industry.Just sign your life away and soon find out you're thousands in the hole.

4. luisrolon

luisrolon Light Load Member

Feb 24, 2012
    richmond va
    your funny well i speak on behalf of myself for 1 i dont work for .90 pm and .40 thats a $1.30 pm i pick my own loads off a load board and i have posted pics on other threads showing my load assignment and what the rates look like,and i have yet to move a load under $1.50 and my highest being 2.25 with occasion of short hauls paying $5-$8 per mile, yes i pay 1k a week but none the less im still making money and working towards owning my rig but learning what it takes to own my own rig every one pay taxes whooped doo.. where you deduct truck depreciation i get to deduct my lease payments and actually i work less then i did as a company driver and im still making more and i choose my own loads so yeah your theory of me being told what to do is wrong maybe for other company but not with sni choice program. your funny think that you own your own truck your all almighty yet you forgot at one point you were a company driver working towards owning your own rig, just because ppl go about it differently doesnt mean there wrong, i swear they say the younger generation is rude but from where im standing it vice-a- versa

5. Ganja

Ganja Light Load Member

Jan 8, 2013
    HUH!!!!!!! “How dreadful...to be caught up in a game and have no idea of the rules.”

6. Rawze

Rawze Medium Load Member

Jun 29, 2013
    inmytruck

Last I researched it 2 years ago, Industry-wide, the sucess/fail rate rested at about 85% fail and 15% sucess for L/p o/o's in the dry/reefer market. Sit at most truckstop lounges, and talk to drivers for a while and it will become clear why there is a high failure rate. In just about every group of drivers, there seems to be a general majority of naay-sayers, or griefers, as I call them. Their conversation consists of some general complaint about something they do not like, trucking or otherwise. The smaller crowd, will usually discuss an actual possible soution, but naay-sayers and griefers, no matter what you say to them will continue down their path of self-set attitude. Its just opinion here, but just every LPOO that I have met that has failed, has had this same 'You Can't tell me what to do' type of attitude. Its the individuals that can bend their thinking and set in motion the fact that they might actually have to change something about themselves, or their way of doing something, to overcome their problems, that seem to be the 15% that are sucessful. People like that will find solutions to their problems when left to their own devices, but the nay-sayers and griefers will just continue down their path, hoping that some outside force will solve thier problems. After-all its easy to blame your failure on your 'Lemon Truck', or that 'OverPriced Fuel', rather than grabbing a tech. manual and studying 'why your truck broke, yet again', or 'how to lower your fuel costs' to get back on track.

...just some thaughts on the subject, nothing more.

7. WorldofTransportation

WorldofTransportation Heavy Load Member

Sep 20, 2009
    Your mother
    All these lease purchases are designed to fail.. Not one of them is set up for you to be successful.. The people that make it through are almost saintly in my book. The companies have made this a Ponzi scheme that makes them a ton of money... If you want to avoid the headache and heartache from l/p.. Here is the advice I can give you..

If you want to become an Owner operator.. Do this...

1. Put $75 a week into a savings account for truck down payment ...That is $3900 a year.
    2. Learn basics of mechanic work.. How to change tires, wheel seals, fix exhaust leaks.
    3. Don't start out with a company that has a ton of company trucks.. I suggest Landstar...
    4. When you find a truck you have all the power of buying.. You hold the cash and credit
    get what you want but don't over spend. Make your demands on the truck up front.
    This is the one time you have any power.. Ask for new tires.. Fresh overhead..
    5. Once you buy the truck and lease it on or get your authority.. Never assume that money
    belongs to you.. It belongs to that truck.. It isn't spending money. That truck will one day
    claim that money. Pay yourself a salary weekly..
    6. Start a maintainence account on day one... I would suggest putting 5% in the account of net per week.
    Until you have about 25000 in it.
    7. Don't assume you are set now... Days off come few and far between for the first year. Use this time to get a
    payment or 2 ahead.. I was 3 payments ahead on my last truck in the first month and a half.. From this point
    should just make your monthly payment early but on the day it is due.. Routine is important.
    8. Don't listen to truckstop parking lot mechanic's (other drivers) had a guy tell me I needed a $4000 repair one
    day.. For some oil leaks turns out he was wrong.. It was a $50 hose under the frame. Never assume I or anyone
    else is tell you the truth or knows what we are talking about.
    9. To me this is the most important one.. Don't forget about your wife and kids. They are there for you now but
    truck can change that.. Work hard but make some time for them. You won't ever regret it.

8. WorldofTransportation

WorldofTransportation Heavy Load Member

Sep 20, 2009
    Your mother
    Face it the l/p is designed to fail people that do it successfully are not l/p they are O/Os.. They figured out that they didn't have an choice they had to succeed.. while the l/p's know they can fail without a concern for doing it right..

You are 100% right you have to change your way of thinking from the company mill... to the Independent business and if you can do it you will succeed.. as it seems you have.... and I am proud for you.. It is a great success to make it through.. You should be commended for it.. but most won't adapt to it because they know they have the company job to fall back on and they are not motivated enough to succeed on their own.

Good luck.. sounds like you have a head on your shoulders..

9. ironpony

ironpony Road Train Member

Sep 23, 2007
    Ask my GPS...
  10. FLATBED

FLATBED Road Train Member

11. Twicebit

Twicebit Light Load Member

Dec 3, 2012
    I love this read so far! I'm on page 11 that's discussing how to save fuel and wear on the truck... I do this in my Honda Fit. Maximizing mileage is "fun" to me! Thanks for the link, Rawze!

Question for you, you probably have lots of miles on your truck having been using it for a few years and paying it off early... How many miles do you have and how many miles do you think you'll be able to get out of it before the trade-off between no truck payment but higher and higher maintenance, and more and more down time, as the truck ages, becomes too expensive, and you'd be better off getting a newer truck? Is there a general number as long as you're taking good care of your truck, that you can expect to get, like 750,000 miles?

Can good mileage be obtained with a later model truck that has all the smog equipment? I keep seeing posts about people wanting pre egr trucks, I believe they say. Those will only be available for so many years. Soon, I would think the only used trucks available will be what are currently the later model trucks that are heavy on the smog equipment, which supposedly cuts down on mileage. Any help in my understanding, here?

Thanks

Last edited: Jul 6, 2013
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

• Thread Status:
    Not open for further replies.