Those worried about self-driving trucks taking your jobs, don't!

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by SteveScott, Sep 19, 2022.

1. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    I've said that many times.

An automated train would suck too. Pull a knuckle in the middle of nowhere and who's going to change it? Train crew keep spares on board and can swap one out fairly quickly. Could have the mainline shut down for hours if they needed to get a crew out there to do it.

A good driver, in tune with the truck, will notice when something's not right. They can see a strap on the load is loose or snapped. They can hear any odd noises indicating something is off or about to fail. There's just no replacement for a good pair of ears and eyes.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Eric4Yeshua1337

Eric4Yeshua1337 Light Load Member

Apr 21, 2020
    There are geofenced driverless cars that offer taxi services in some big cities but these are predictable. It would take more programming and time to get it to want to travel anywhere else.

4. MartinFromBC

MartinFromBC Road Train Member

Oct 19, 2018

ERROR

And that is how 180 people died...

5. Geekonthestreet

Geekonthestreet Medium Load Member

Jun 27, 2021
    Chicago
    Today one of my brakes was out of adjustment on another company’s trailer I was shuttling and locked up the wheel on brake. How would a computer stop that potential tire fire from happening? That’s right it wouldn’t. It would just melt the g-#### tread right off.

MartinFromBC and InTooDeep Thank this.
  6. SoulScream84

SoulScream84 Road Train Member

Mar 21, 2020
    Was at Loves today in Alma, TX (I-45) and ran across a truck with high end electronics at multiple points on the truck and trailer. Test vehicle for running fully autonomous.

LoneRanger, MartinFromBC and InTooDeep Thank this.
  7. Eric4Yeshua1337

Apr 21, 2020
    I think it will probably have a human on board still in my personal opinion. I can’t see computer driven trucks being able to handle it at this point.

Geekonthestreet and MartinFromBC Thank this.
  8. Dennixx

Dennixx Road Train Member

Feb 13, 2010
    twin cities
    Werner, Kodiak Robotics team up on autonomy

9. LoneRanger

LoneRanger Road Train Member

Jun 3, 2018
    it ain’t gonna happen man all these companies that jump on this wagon can’t get these trucks to haul anything anywhere. Said the guy who’s about to lose his job.

I don’t see it slowing down at all, In Fact year over year more and more AT’s are hitting the road don’t care if it has an engineer in it. Their end goal is to disrupt the industry.

Remote driving is coming guys, you won’t have to worry about the pee bottles anymore, or the flip flops. They will be remote too.

Eric4Yeshua1337 Thanks this.
  10. Eric4Yeshua1337

Apr 21, 2020
    Seems like all the mega carriers are really pushing this. They can’t retain drivers so let’s get rid of them.

11. bonder45

bonder45 Road Train Member

Oct 2, 2011
    Williston, ND
    These trucks are replacing the guys who don’t notice this stuff anyways.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.