Thought I had a fuel leak!

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by GlobalFM001, Oct 13, 2019.

1. GlobalFM001

GlobalFM001 Light Load Member

Mar 9, 2019
    Fueled up full tanks. Went down the road, after 100 miles I noticed I’ve gone through half a quarter on the gauge.

I reset my trip meter and after 60 miles I had used 20 gallons of fuel!

So I stopped at the next truck stop and looked. Could not find a leak anywhere near the tanks. Anywhere in the engine bay
    I let the truck sit idling for 20 minutes while I used the facility and grabbed some food.
    Came back and looked some more. NOTHING LEAKING.

I hopped back in the truck and my gut was telling nope, something wrong. I pulled the truck forward and went back to look around. No leaks. Got back in the truck and same feeling. Something just ain’t right.
    Got out and went over the truck from the front to the back and found

This!

041408A7-E498-4031-9A15-33C94A19B595.jpeg

My right rear wheel covered in oil like substance.
    Luckily I’m at a loves, unfortunately they won’t have a mechanic until tomorrow morning.
    I’m not sure if this explains the fuel use, but I’m thinking maybe, what are the chances I got this and a fuel leak.
    I found a spot I can park with no other leaks on the ground so that by tomorrow I’ll confirm whether there’s fuel leaking.

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    I am glad you described the picture to me it was a instant migraine creator while I tried to understand where I am in relation to the big tractor in space.

Have you tried to decide if you leak with engine on? Or engine off?

Hopefully you will have a peaceful night hiddden relatively in the a darkness. This would not be the time to have goody two shoes bleeding heart call out the hazmat response to that particular truckstop.

We will know and see alot more when the sun comes up.

GlobalFM001 Thanks this.
  4. Flat Earth Trucker

Flat Earth Trucker Road Train Member

Nov 19, 2018
  5. magoo68

magoo68 Road Train Member

Jun 11, 2011
    st malo mb canada
    Hate to say it but that’s a seal leak .. if it was from fuel tanks it wouldn’t have pattern that comes from the inside out .. as far as your fuel leak pull caps off and see if one tank is overfull from a plugged vent .

bzinger, D.Tibbitt, buddyd157 and 2 others Thank this.
  6. 201

201 Road Train Member

Apr 16, 2014
    high plains colorado
    That's an axle seal, and by the looks of it, it didn't just happen. Not your fuel issue, though, unless of course, there's no oil in the pumpkin and the bearings are seizing holding you back,,,that would be bad.

starmac, x1Heavy, D.Tibbitt and 4 others Thank this.
  7. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    Stick your head down in there and do a good driver inspection. Like good drivers do.

As mentioned. You'll probably see your brakes and drum covered in oil.

8. DieselDrivinDaddy

DieselDrivinDaddy Light Load Member

Feb 13, 2016
    Poconos, PA
    Ok. I finally agree. It’s time for the autonomous trucks.

9. GlobalFM001

GlobalFM001 Light Load Member

Mar 9, 2019
    Yep it’s a seal leak. It looked up overnight

That’s what it is. It pooled up overnight. Fuel level is fine. So I’m guessing this was holding my truck back.
    Now I wait 6 hours before Loves can take me in.

Sure is. Everything will need to be thoroughly cleaned.

What!? If anything this is a reason why autonomous trucks shouldn’t happen. This happened while I’m going down the road and i checked and found it. How would an autonomous truck know this is happening?

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  10. D.Tibbitt

D.Tibbitt Road Train Member

Apr 26, 2013
    Gettin' down westbound
    What does a seal leak have anything to do with fuel? Im not sure these 2 events are related? How do u not catch this during pre trip? There is oil slung all over the air bag amd im sure all over the drum, brakes, suspension, frame... u are lucky u found this and not a dot man or the fire department when its on side of road engulfed in flames...

201, x1Heavy and DieselDrivinDaddy Thank this.
  11. DieselDrivinDaddy

DieselDrivinDaddy Light Load Member

Feb 13, 2016
    Poconos, PA
    I give you credit for getting out and finding a leak.

I just think it’s frightening to share the road with ‘drivers’ who can’t tell the difference between a fuel leak and a failed wheel seal.

In my opinion, if you can not assess what type of fluid is leaking from your vehicle (car, truck, airplane, golf cart, etc) then you are a danger to others who are around your vehicle.

D. Tibbitt finished my thought for me so I rest my case on that now.

I also apologize for picking on you, when in reality there’s tens of thousands of other so called drivers who wouldn’t have even gotten out to check when they sensed a problem.

bzinger, x1Heavy, D.Tibbitt and 2 others Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.