Thoughts on Gordon

Discussion in 'Gordon' started by TruckerScott, Jan 24, 2009.

1. TruckerScott

TruckerScott Bobtail Member

Oct 27, 2008
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    I am a student driver looking to start a truck driving career and quit my current job of 15 years as a parts guy at a car dealership. I have already attended a truck driver training program about a year ago and got my class A license, so I will need a refresher which is no problem. My problem is finding the right trucking company and from what I can gather Gordon might be one of the better ones for a student. I have a job offer from them but would like to hear from some of their drivers as to what kind of company they are and what kind of money a first year driver can make with them? Also curious how their training program is and what to expect there. Any help would be great...

Scott

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. RECON08

RECON08 Light Load Member

Dec 27, 2008
    Hudsonville, MI
    if you got an offer from them, take it. things are really bad in the industry as far as hiring freezes and so fourth, so if they gave you an offer, take it before its gone and your still looking.

4. nicnat2

nicnat2 Medium Load Member

Oct 26, 2008
    sin city
    Yep I agree...I have an offer and will know next week when I call to set a date for orientation with GTI. I have filled out quite a few app's and they just aren't really hiring newbys right now. From what I hear on other posts, they only accept like 40 % of people that even apply. That's being picky and getting the right people to work for them...:biggrin_255:

5. nicnat2

Oct 26, 2008
    sin city
    I just found out that I'm going to orientation with GTI on feb 17th...:biggrin_25525: Man am I excited,and can't wait to get there.Hey Truckerscott, I spent 23 years as a GM parts mgr/back counter guy and this will be a big change for me.

6. CornerCarver

CornerCarver Light Load Member

Oct 15, 2007
    running a twisty road
    Congrats, Welcome aboard, I think you will really like it here. By the way, I was a tech for the last 30+ years. This is quite the lifestyle change.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2009
    nicnat2 Thanks this.
  7. TruckerScott

TruckerScott Bobtail Member

Oct 27, 2008
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Hey Nicnat2, I too work the back counter at a big GM dealership here in Cincinnati and I think this is going to be a big change for me which is why I am seeking a little advise. I also have a wife and two kids so I am a little scared about that and the fact that I am not the type to job hop so I want to make sure I choose the right company as well.

8. nicnat2

Oct 26, 2008
    sin city
    You got that right.I wanted to get into a good company so I wouldn't have to jump around.There are so many horror stories out there and GTI is one of the very few companies that I haven't found any major issues at all with. They are very deliberate with who they hire now and 4 guys in my class got turned down by them. I'm ready for the change and welcome new scenery instead of some tech with a bad attitude...LOL

9. sw1241

sw1241 Light Load Member

Jun 29, 2007
    Ashtabula, Ohio
    Hmm, maybe its a parts guy thin w GTI, I am talking to them, was a FORD PM for 20 some years and got downsized New Years Eve, my thing is , I drove OTR and was a OO for 9 years before so need to go thru the whole thing again to get started

10. nicnat2

Oct 26, 2008
    sin city
    This seems to be a good time to get away from dealerships I guess. They have been on a downslide since last summer....at least here in Vegas. I have 6 more days till I get to Calif for orientation....:biggrin_255:

11. SavageSam

SavageSam Medium Load Member

Feb 7, 2009
    CA.? Where at ? Modesto?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.