Thoughts on whether I was grandfathered in please.

Discussion in 'Hazmat Trucking Forum' started by TooTiredToTalk, Feb 24, 2022.

1. Grumppy

Grumppy Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Dec 11, 2010
    West Monroe, La
    You and I started the same way. I got my Chauffeurs license in March 1982. Just went to the DMV, said I needed my Chauffeurs license. They handed me a written test, I passed, they took a picture, handed me my new license and been driving ever since.
    Never had a single endorsement that I remember. No doubles, tanker, HM, etc.
    Oh wait, I do have an air brake endorsement.

TooTiredToTalk and 201 Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. TooTiredToTalk

TooTiredToTalk Medium Load Member

Feb 24, 2022
    Yeah that's pretty awesome the life you have experienced in the industry! My ex said that same thing when he got his license....it was a chauffeurs license. No such thing as a CDL. He is still trucking to this day. Drives a '95 Peterbilt 379 18-Speed. Doesn't have a DEF system. He now hauls a lot of oversize and oversize Hazmat. I love learning from the older drivers because there is so much knowledge....some still very useful and others just cool history of the trucking industry and the drivers of that time Much appreciation for all those years though you had in the industry. I had a hell of a time learning how to do the alley dock (90°) in school, but eventually got it. Could drive the '96 Kenworth W900 18-speed, but as soon as I got into our '12 Freightliner Cascadia 13-speed (or 10-speed ) I had a hell of a time. Couldn't drive it for the life of me! Passed all my tests for getting my CDL (driving and written) first time except the Combination which I had to take a second time, and passed all endorsements first time. I was surprised though because I thought I would fail the Hazmat and actually got a higher percentage on my Hazmat and Tanker tests than my Doubles/Triples!

201 Thanks this.
  4. roundhouse

roundhouse Road Train Member

Jul 11, 2018
    No one at the dmv can tell you if :
    You had the haz mat previously and let it lapse years ago and now want to get it again

Do you take have to take the class ?

apparently the geniuses in DC never considered that possibility .

bumper Jack Thanks this.
  5. TooTiredToTalk

Feb 24, 2022
    Good point. DMV is for registering your vehicle, anything to do with titles, etc. Well I guess in some states it is the same thing.

Does the DLD not have record of that though?

6. 201

201 Road Train Member

Apr 16, 2014
    high plains colorado
    I've told this story many times, and it never gets old. My 1st T/T job in '78, all I had was a regular car license, the boss said, I better get a chauffeurs license,,fine, I went to the Wisconsin DMV, the examiner asked if I had a road test OF ANY KIND,, in the last 2 years?" I said, well, I took my motorcycle test last year,,good enough, he said, $8 bucks,,NEXT.. Things sure have changed, you can see why I'm bitter,,all this malarkey and our roads aren't any safer.

Lostkeys, T.Rucker, Kyle G. and 2 others Thank this.
  7. TooTiredToTalk

Feb 24, 2022
    Wow! Never heard something go so quick and smooth. Sure is a different time - and I've never heard of anything being so cheap nowadays either and it's only getting worse. But I know people of your time telling me of wages, house costs, groceries, fuel. It was very different then. I can understand better why drivers like y'all are so grouchy, understandably, but I still have the utmost respect for the old school truckers

Grumppy and 201 Thank this.
  8. 201

201 Road Train Member

Apr 16, 2014
    high plains colorado
    Tip of the iceberg, my friend. We had good friends, good people to work with, crummy equipment, but we didn't know any better, and we watched out for one another, give a buddy a steer tire if it meant "getting it there",,,yep, different times indeed. And,,the real kickin the pants, if I wanted to drive today, 3 million safe miles, mind you, I'd have to start all over, and I told the Colorado DMV, "I'd rather put soup cans on the shelf, than drive a truck today,,they can cram it with walnuts". Younger drivers don't have that to refer to, and to you guys, this is just the way it is, and know no different., so it's not as drastic, you'll be fine. Please be careful,,we, as a country, need you!

Last edited: Feb 24, 2022
    TooTiredToTalk and Grumppy Thank this.
  9. TooTiredToTalk

Feb 24, 2022
    That many miles and it means nothing?? That's insanity at its finest! Well there are some people that still appreciate all the work and time you put in even in my generation (I am 28 mind you). Thank you for the appreciation as well. I loved driving from the day I first started driving package car for UPS back in 2016, but it is also hard sometimes as you might know. Gets lonely and you feel like one of the most hated people around the minute you take a seat and handle that rig!

201 Thanks this.
  10. bumper Jack

bumper Jack Heavy Load Member

Dec 5, 2021
    I had mine up until the started making you get background checks. I dropped it then. No one could give me a definitive answer so I thought it best to get it again.

TooTiredToTalk Thanks this.
  11. bumper Jack

bumper Jack Heavy Load Member

Dec 5, 2021
    Being that recent you should able to pick it back up with no problems.

TooTiredToTalk Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.