Thoughts on Wood Pellet Outdoor Cooking Stove?

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by PE_T, Mar 14, 2020.

1. PE_T

PE_T Road Train Member

I know many of us have an APU, but for those who don’t have one or is currently out of service, I thought this might work if used outside the truck. Apparently campers use these.

974783C0-61D9-4D71-AE76-0D83D6694C69.png

54A926C2-97B4-419D-A1F2-5F7A1C01D8CD.png

Starts @ 3:20

JC1971 and Lite bug Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Lite bug

Lite bug Road Train Member

May 3, 2014
    Columbus Ohio
    Glad you posted this. I need to get one.

PE_T Thanks this.
  4. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    I have a Irish Stove capable of taking whatever fuel in the bottom being cut wood, charcoal or whatever. Heat goes to top cooking whatever it food has in it. Just need to keep feeding it a bag of charcoal once you get it going.

I am not inclined to be at the truckstop grilling with a fire on the cat walk and have a gasoline tanker park next to me in full diamonds and sloshing tanker.

=)

Hows that for a brevity.

PE_T Thanks this.
  5. PE_T

PE_T Road Train Member

I found one for $25 online.

Attached Files:

x1Heavy and Lite bug Thank this.
  6. PE_T

PE_T Road Train Member

After a bit more searching, another option that does not use an APU or an idling engine is a butane fuel stove. I’ve seen them at truck stops, but Walmart should also have them and cheaper as well. What’s neat about this one is that it can apparently be used safely inside the truck, but keeping all the windows open for ventilation wouldn’t hurt.

In comparison to the wood pellet stove, my guess is that butane fuel would cost a bit more to run, but a butane stove takes almost no time to set up, is easy to store away, and can be used inside the truck safely and where you don’t have to worry about the rain or any other weather conditions.

One last note, the single burner stove in the image below does not allow pans wider than about 7 inches because it can cause the butane can to overheat and explode. It makes sense once you think about it. Coleman also has a two and three burner stove where this wouldn’t be a problem as the butane tank is away from the burner.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 15, 2020
  7. Moosetek13

Moosetek13 Road Train Member

Nov 1, 2010
    Burnsville, MN
    Why do people so often try to do things the hard way?

8. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    There's also this setup too. Although somehow this is the complete package. It can be sold seperately for about the same price.

The (single) burner comes with the propane stand and was around $17 when I bought 2 of them last year. The propane bottles were about $6. They were bought in store. Not the package sold online.

Don't know the cost comparison though. I used the one burner stove mounted to an extension which was screwed on to a 30 lb. propane bottle. For the tanker trailer over the winter. Made a nice little portable firepit to thaw out the valve and trailer.

Beat the snot out of freezing your butt off standing outside with a weed burner and burning down air lines. Was a whole lot faster too.
    https://www.walmart.com/ip/Stansports-Single-Burner-Propane-Camp-Stove/21684336

PE_T Thanks this.
  9. PE_T

PE_T Road Train Member

Why do people not read before posting a comment?

10. tscottme

tscottme Road Train Member

If you're going to start a fire, do it outside not where you sleep.

11. 88228822

88228822 Heavy Load Member

Sep 26, 2018
    I use a white gas stove outside the truck

tscottme and PE_T Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.