Three more hours added to the fourteen hour duty status

Discussion in 'ELD Forum | Questions, Answers and Reviews' started by Billyjack, Apr 2, 2018.

1. Daycabdriver

Daycabdriver Bobtail Member

Jul 2, 2013
    Houston Tx.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Daycabdriver

Daycabdriver Bobtail Member

Jul 2, 2013
    Houston Tx.
    I drove for Prime OTR when I first started driving, way back in 2004. IIhave been driving local ever since, and have been logbook exempt. I was forced out of my job,and now am thinking of hauling frac sand in Texas, but it's been so long since I've ran a log that I need to brush up. Okay so, I was brushing up on the hours of service for Texas which says, Subject to certain exemptions, intrastate truck drivers are permitted to drive 12 hours following 8 consecutive hours off duty. They may not drive after having been “on duty” 15 hours, following 8 consecutive hours off duty.

There is a maximum of 70 hours worked/driven in any consecutive 7 day period. A driver may restart a consecutive 7 day period after taking 34 or more hours off-duty.

"Does this mean I need to take a 34 hr. restart every time I reach 70 hrs, if I reach my 70 hrs within a 7 day period?"

Certain intrastate truck drivers are exempt from these regulations as well as the requirement to keep a log of their hours. They include a person:

Who returns to the work-reporting location and is released from working within 12 consecutive hours

Has at least 8 consecutive hours off between each 12-hour period the person is on duty.

"if I run like this, Does this mean I am logbook exempt!?"

Operates within a 150-air-mile radius of the normal work reporting location.

"I was logbook exempt under this rule, when I was with my previous company."

"I watched some youtube videos and heard about "recap" hour's. Can I use recap hour's in the ELD's and not ever need a restart?"

Last edited: Apr 10, 2018
    Reason for edit: Added a question
  4. Express12$

Express12$ Medium Load Member

Mar 11, 2017
    You're absolutely correct, the hour of service is there to protect driver and public

5. Billyjack

Billyjack Light Load Member

Oct 3, 2008
    London, KY
    Tucker since I started using the E Log I find my self in the left lane with fuel pedal flat on the floor trying to get as many miles as I can with the 11 hours of driving I have. Sometimes barely making it to where I had plan to stop for the 10 hour break. I figure with the 3 hour break which would really be only 2 1/2 more hours since the 30 minute break would be taken away and which also went against your 14 hours would give me a break somewhere in the 11 hour of driving time to eat, wash truck, service truck, etc.... Main thing is the 3 hour window would not go against the 14 hour duty status. The way it is now you feel just like a robot. Stop to fuel, grab a burger and swallow it down cause the next truck has fueled and he is ready for your spot and he will most likely being doing the same procedure. I really can`t see where it would be all that bad. Just my option.

Truckermania and Oxbow Thank this.
  6. tucker

tucker Road Train Member

Jun 13, 2008
    IN
    I don’t buy the left lane petal down.
    Bull haulers are elog exempt and they always drive hammer down, are they always in a hurry?
    How many times did I leave Flagstaff or Amarillo in my 62 mph truck and have the same fast trucks pass me over and over and over again? And that was way before elogs.
    And this 3 hour window should be called what it is... getting rid of the 14 hour day and making it a 17 YES SEVENTEEN!!!!! hour work day.
    Think about it.. a stupid truck driver needs to work a 17 hour day to survive.
    LOL
    How come I make a nice paycheck and I don’t have to work 24 hour days?
    This is why we have HOS, most truck drivers are stupid and can’t do anything else. They’d drive 11 hours without stopping, they’re why we have that 30 minute break, because the fools wouldn’t stop and take a restroom break and stretch their legs.

gentleroger and TruckChicken Thank this.
  7. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Ahem, I follow you completely and yes there needs to be a little bit of time, 3 hours somewhere for you to use as you see fit is not that bad. I can see a use for it.

Arkansas has a constitutional ballot for early elections today actually starts for our Primary 22th of this month.

Ballot one states that damages awarded will limit lawyer fees to 33.3% of total award max. Done. Dot. Closed. End of story. no more fees than that.

It will further limit awards to half a million per count against a Arkansas citizen. Say if I was a trucker, and I killed a daddy, his wife and a family of two in a minivan one night drinking on I-40. My judgement including limits on punitive damages plus beneficiaries of the wrongful deaths by vehcilular homicide etc would be limited to a total of 2 million judgement. With an additional half million awarded specifically to additional kin of that family who would have been beneficiairies on wills, life insurance policies and the like. So there might be a few more millions tacked on. But that is all. No more than that.

At times I carry civil liability insurance between half a million to two million dollars so that if I shot a bad guy coming through the door of my family home at night, later sued by his family who say their son is a good boy and would never have done that... this ballot up for vote will clear much of the current dust up going on in our courts with excessive awarding and lawyering fees all over the place.

If the people should consent, our constitution will change and set that into stone.

Now back to texas three hours law.

I believe every day truckers each for themselves require a certain amount of time, which varies among all truckers who do this work in our millions every day and night. A little time to eat a meal, at least once a day, a little time to engage in necessary things pertaining to hygiene and other good things that benefit them.

The problem is that darn dispatcher. STEAMING on the qualcomm You moving yet driver? It's been three hours. Yer late get going *&^% it.

What do you think will happen if this does become Texas Law? It will literally have to consider reverting to a Republic it was once prior to Sam Houston's time when the entire United States trucking industry chooses to bypass the entire state to save 3 hours per day.

Follow me?

tucker Thanks this.
  8. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    in 1969 I could take 20 cents to a Highs which was literally the local regional equal to a 7-11 convience store. That 20 cents bought a nice hershey bar, a sort of a ice drink with flavor for summer time and at least one other item.

In 2018, I need about 2.60. 1.00 for the same hershey bar in a dollar store, 1.00 for the juice (With shaving ice out of my own ice cubes at home...) and .60 for something useful on sale.

The exact same hersheybar, flavored drink with ice and soemthing. versus 1969.

NOW.

There was a few years Hershey had to stop making chocolate bars as inflation kicked in after the 71 gold window was closed by Nixon. The hershey bars got smaller and smaller. And then really small. Maybe two bites for a dime.

What came back out became a .30 cent monster that was a standard bar in '69

If I went into walmart and tried to buy that same amount of cholocate which is shipped in to Hershey from overseas mind you... more or less... it's retailing at close to 2.00 now.

Don't get my father started. What we could do with 20 dollar silver certificate bill in his day you needed about 150 dollars in our current inflated money to do the same activity. (Dinner, movie for two and transport, gas, etc.)

Edit. I think Hershey is MM Mars. I'll have to go back all that and look it up. I get some confusing sometimes. But Im trying to be very specific examples of what happened with our money.

9. tinytim

tinytim Road Train Member

Oct 29, 2007
    Northern Ontario
    :|

10. Billyjack

Billyjack Light Load Member

Oct 3, 2008
    London, KY
    Tucker this is not the good OLD DAYS and back then trucking sure was. I don`t think by adding the 3 hour off duty window is adding to the 14 hour on duty. I would think if a driver wanted to skip the 3 hour window and take a 30 minute break and keep driving till his 11 hours is up that would be up to him. With the 3 hour window it is just giving drivers that want to stop eat, nap, shower, service truck, etc... it just seems to me to be a good think. The way it is now start the clock and get to rolling. If you want to get about 600 miles behind you by the end of the day you can`t do nothing but drive/fuel/drive. If you eat you have to do it the best chance you get. As far as the left lane goes my truck is governed at 75 so not really worried about getting a ticket just keeping the four wheelers out of my way when possible.

Makeajump, Truckermania and Oxbow Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.