Three years of own authority costs combined.

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by TallJoe, Dec 25, 2019.

1. spyder7723

spyder7723 Road Train Member

Mar 31, 2013
    sarasota, fl
    The youngest is 4. I missed so much with the older kids, I can't go back in time to correct those mistakes but I can try to do it right this time around. But it could also be argued that if I hadn't been working so much then, I wouldn't be able to work so little now.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Midwest Trucker

Midwest Trucker Road Train Member

Aug 31, 2018
    keep your head up man. I can tel you are really down. It seems to go in 2 yr cycles and this one won’t be over until at least Sept of 20 so just hang in there. Next time around when others are taking time off in the good times, you’ll know to be going harder then ever so you can hang back a bit in the bad times. Also, pretty sure I gave you some insight In PM the other day into making yourself more sought after especially in the area we run.

4. spyder7723

spyder7723 Road Train Member

Mar 31, 2013
    sarasota, fl
    Yep. Definately keep your head up. And try to maintain perspective. 3 years is not a lot of time. It's not even enough time to see a full economic cycle in the industry. 17 and 18 were booms. 19 was not great but not nearly as bad as it can get. Take the lessons you have learned in the last three years and use them to excel in the next boom, and get by in the next downturn. This game is a marathon, not a sprint.

5. 6wheeler

6wheeler Road Train Member

Aug 30, 2009
    Attention: DAT, Truckstop, Brokers, Shippers, and Receivers!

Your offered rate of $2.10 per mile is crap!

The OP has invested in making YOUR business a profit that is greater than his own. You have no parking available, refuse to pay detention, layovers and accessorls. And the outcome from a guy that wanted his own business to help out YOUR business shows your greed in profits is more of importance than the truckers that keeps you in business.

6. TallJoe

TallJoe Road Train Member

Apr 12, 2016
    Chicagoland
    ....and they could not care less. How many times, I heard a loud laugh when asking for $1600.00 on a load from York, Pa to Elk Grove Village, IL... But that's the right kind of sarcasm. Although, I don't appeal to anyone other than myself.
    I did not mean the post# 1 to be anything else than basis for cold analysis. Giving anyone an idea of what the costs are and where the revenue should be.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2019
  7. DUNE-T

DUNE-T Road Train Member

May 10, 2015
    Detroit, MI
    Why wouldn't they laugh if tons of Elk Grove people move that lane everyday for $800?

Cabinover101 and JonJon78 Thank this.
  8. TallJoe

Apr 12, 2016
    Chicagoland
    Why a dry van in a single truck and trailer set up does not make sense?

1. Lowest Rates in the Industry.
    2. Cannot effectively compete not only with larger fleets but also smaller outfits that have warehouse space:
    crossdocking, abiltity to do LTL configurations - performing partial loads vs full truck loads, offloading rejected/delayed shipments - freeing up a trailer, possibility to drop trailers at customers.
    3. Entry level for many new owner operators who just calculate money left after fuel.
    4. The least, physically and know- how, demanding type of equipment...I don't mean to offend anyone but quite a few times, I saw an older man with a cane or old 75 - ish looking grandmother pulling a dry van. The market value of those people is the same as mine...yet I am still in my 40's and heck... give me a horseshoe, I'll break it LOL

SL3406 and Coffey Thank this.
  9. TallJoe

Apr 12, 2016
    Chicagoland
    Often, I have not other choice but do it myself too. $380 in fuel and $256 in tolls on that lane.

10. Long FLD

Long FLD Road Train Member

Mar 4, 2015
    #2.....I pulled a reefer for a month to help a friend out. He had a small building with two docks, no real storage inside but plenty of room to shuffle stuff around. We’d go pick up multiple stops from a couple different shippers and then take the 2 or 3 trucks and build some really good paying LTL loads at his dock. That was my first look into that world, and I can see why people do it. But his brother was also in the office full time putting multiple LTL loads together.

11. DUNE-T

DUNE-T Road Train Member

May 10, 2015
    Detroit, MI
    Wait, are you taking 76 all the way? I always use 322-99-80 going west from there

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.