Three years of own authority costs combined.

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by TallJoe, Dec 25, 2019.

1. TallJoe

TallJoe Road Train Member

Apr 12, 2016
    Chicagoland
    If you have access to a warehouse space, you can easily double/triple the rate by doing LTLs even with a dry van and I think that's the only way to make money these days - the LTLs. Pick up collections have to be done rather quick...but these ELDs made it all so much harder.

Cabinover101 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. TallJoe

Apr 12, 2016
    Chicagoland
    If I need to go back pronto yes. If I have time and I'm not too heavy I take I81 - I68 - I70-I65 that's toll free and 80-90 miles more. I'll see your route later maybe it makes better sense.

dwells40 Thanks this.
  4. Midwest Trucker

Midwest Trucker Road Train Member

Aug 31, 2018
    Man, I need to look into this LTL stuff. I have a small building and dock at my yard. Maybe I’ve been leaving a ton of money on the table? :X

Cabinover101 and dwells40 Thank this.
  5. Long FLD

Long FLD Road Train Member

Mar 4, 2015
    My friend was doing truckload stuff for some places that made various dairy products and through conversation he found out that they were having trouble shipping their 3-4 pallet shipments. And that’s how he got his foot in the door doing 5 to 8 stops in NY and NJ to small bakeries and such.

6. TallJoe

Apr 12, 2016
    Chicagoland
    LOL. I would not wait with your Midwest location!!!! Most of the Elk Grove Village outfits with a warehouse space do nothing but partials. Not only that...They deliberately looking for light loads and short pallets in order to place additional pallets (partials loads) on load bars and plywood. The outfit I used to be leased on, mastered the game to the point of being capable of loading $8K - 10K into one trailer going to West Coast (involved 4-5 drops and a cross dock warehouse agent), while they were paying me 1.50 per mile.

Cabinover101 and Midwest Trucker Thank this.
  7. Scooter Jones

Scooter Jones Road Train Member

Apr 19, 2011
    Decided to pop in and see what's happening at the theruckersreport.com and read through your post.

I just finished up my 4th complete year with my own authority and a dry van too.

My personal conviction from the start has been that even if I can only earn as much as I could doing line-haul (as a company driver) in my area, I would still opt to be an owner operator with my own authority, booking my own loads, making my own way.

I cringe at the thought of being dependent again upon some dingbat dispatcher to plan and schedule me accordingly ;-) Not to mention having to be out for 5 to 6 weeks at a time, no thanks.

If I get to the point where I can longer do this (for whatever reason) I'll sell the truck & trailer, turn in my authority and go back to work for one of dozens of companies that would hire me tomorrow doing regional work.

Until then, I'm an independent owner operator and darn proud to be one!

Here's to a steady and successful new year to you, TallJoe!

8. TallJoe

Apr 12, 2016
    Chicagoland
    WOW!
    Thanks for poping in Scooter. We've been all missing you! You're one of the few who can prove that I am wrong. Actually, more than once I was wondering of how things were working out for you...

9. REO6205

REO6205 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Feb 15, 2014
    California.
    Good to see you back on TTR.

10. Scooter Jones

Scooter Jones Road Train Member

Apr 19, 2011
    Things have been going pretty well. My problem is that I get a little too lazy and comfortable with being home LOL.

The spot market is what it is, it goes up and down, round and round.

I finished the year in the black, which is better than the red ;-)

My taxes are paid up for the year. I Was able to pay my insurance premium in advance for 2020, my tags are paid through 2020, paid for new drive tires a couple of weeks ago, did some periodic maintenance on the truck, etc, and still have some cash-flow on the books going into the new year.

So all in all, I don't have a lot to complain about.

11. 062

062 Road Train Member

Oct 20, 2013
    The two biggest things with ltl is finding drivers that want to do it, and scheduling the stops. If I could find a good driver that wanted to do ltl reefer. I would add a truck tomorrow.

Midwest Trucker, Long FLD and dwells40 Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.