Throttling will get you in to trouble.

Discussion in 'Cellular - Voice - Data' started by snowwy, Aug 26, 2018.

1. River9601

River9601 Light Load Member

Feb 4, 2017
    Springfield Illinois
    I burn through about 150 a month on the road. At home I have AT&T Gigabit which is 1000 mbps which rocks.

KB3MMX and Oldironfan Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Hurst

Hurst Registered Member

Aug 24, 2011
    Tampa, Fl
    How much do they charge for Gigabit service there?

I have Fios at home,.. currently with 300/300 which is plenty fast for me. Only thing that can max it out is my torrent site. Nothing else can even come close.

I could upgrade to 1000/1000 gigbit service,.. but its expensive ($300 a month) and nothing out there is able to send to me or take from me that fast,.. so kinda useless.

Hurst

KB3MMX Thanks this.
  4. River9601

River9601 Light Load Member

Feb 4, 2017
    Springfield Illinois
    It’s about 100 dollars a month.

KB3MMX and Hurst Thank this.
  5. Oldironfan

Oldironfan Road Train Member

May 22, 2017
    Well I'm lost. Don't know how to use hotspot, or online link to netflix.
    I am not happy at all with Verizon $75 unlimited prepaid plan. Them seem to throttle like mad after 10gb.
    My Galaxy J7 is not special, but I don't need the super phone.
    My home service is Charter and they say they are fastest at 300mbps.

KB3MMX Thanks this.
  6. Hurst

Hurst Registered Member

Aug 24, 2011
    Tampa, Fl
    I'm not familiar with Verizon's pre paid plans. But the rest I can explain.

I'm guessing the plan you are is similar to the entry level unlimited plan. Verizon has 3 different unlimited plans. Kind of a contradiction if you ask me. If it's unlimited.. then there should be only 1.

Anyway,... the entry level unlimited gets you unlimited phone data and 10gb of hotspot usage. That's wifi for anything you have that needs Internet access. Be it your tablet, laptop, what ever. 10gb isn't very much.

The next up offers 15gb of hotspot and the top tier unlimited plan gets you 20gb. The pricing structure for the plans themselves with out financing a phone start at $85 for a single line, $98 for the 15gb hotspot and $110 month for 20gb.

I don't know how much data you need,.. but I know I eat through my 20gb in about 2 weeks. So what I did was added a 2nd line for a jetpack hotspot only service. The jet pack was free with 2 yr agreement and added another 15gb of hotspot for $20 a month.

So with your current plan for $75 with 10gb of hotspot, you could add another 15gb for $20 a month.

I'm going to be experimenting with my new phone once I get home. I ordered the Samsung Note9. It should be home already. The reason I wanted that phone is because it has an updated dongle app that with a mini USB to HDMI adapter will allow the phone to turn into a sort of laptop when connected to any TV. It will project it's screen and the idea is to be able to use the Netflix, Hulu and Philo apps on the phone to watch TV on the larger screen with out eating up my hotspot data. Because the phone data is unlimited and not castrated.

I have a Note4 phone right now. And I've tried some different apps that are supposed to allow you to project to your laptop or TV and do the same thing sort of. And they do work to a degree. But I can't get any of them to allow video from Netflix, Hulu, Philo,.. not even YouTube video works. I get audio but no video on the screen. So they are pretty much useless to me. From everything I've read, the Samsung Note9 will allow the the data encryption for Netflix and other video content to pass through and not be blocked by the phone.

If what I want to do works,.. I'll drop down to the cheapest unlimited plan and drop my jetpack line.

I'll keep you updated on that.

Hurst

KB3MMX and Oldironfan Thank this.
  7. midgetripples

midgetripples Light Load Member

Sep 16, 2018
    I know this is a bit old but do not drop to the lowest unlimited plan it sucks, on the lowest unlimited plan you will get throttled if you are in a congested area even if you have only used 1gb of mobile data and hotspot is unlimted at 600kbps only you will never get faster then that on hotspot, where I live its always congested on Verizon found that out the hard way and had to bump up to the higher plan just to be able to use any data on my phone, the beyond unlimited is 22gbs before they throttle in congested areas with 15gbs of hotspot then drops to 600kbps and the above plan is 75gbs before throttle with 20gbs of hotspot

8. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    Thank goodness for ATT. 1TB for $20 per month. But that's my car hotspot.

I haven't tested the waters yet with my tablet or mobile hotspot. Both unlimited for $20 per month each.

9. slim6596

slim6596 Medium Load Member

Dec 1, 2015
    I swapped my iPhone 8 plus for a Note 9. Loving it. How do you like yours?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.