Throw out bearing

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by freightlinerman, May 29, 2012.

1. freightlinerman

freightlinerman Road Train Member

Mar 4, 2011
    Florida
    I tried to grease what I assume is the throw out bearing, there is a remote grease fitting which consists of a hose going up into the clutch area. After the truck has been sitting, I'm assuming alot of that grease has probably dried up.

Can someone explain how the throw out bearing works and what happens as it wears. Just read a post about noise in the bell housing, got me curious.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Scrapper

Scrapper Light Load Member

Jan 19, 2010
    Nashville, AR
    The throwout bearing pushes against the pressure plate allow the clutch to disengage. The clutch fork is what puts the pressure on the pressure plate. The throwout bearing is on the fork. When the fork pushes against the pressure plate the bearing is allowed to spin when contact is made. If the fork just went right up against the pressure plate it would eat into it when it was spinning.

When a throwout bearing is worn its just like any other bearing. It get slack in it. You'll hear it when you let off the clutch. It will rattle or roar or maybe squeal. Cars and trucks would benefit greatly if you could grease the throwout bearing like you can in our trucks. You won't hear it when you push on the clutch...as the pressure of the fork against the bearing and pressure plate tightens the loose bearing back up. As soon as you let off you'll hear it again.

One tip....just a squirt of grease in it. Once you have it greased....since its been sitting up....just one pump. If you get to much in there your clutch brake won't work well and you take a chance on the grease getting on your clutch. Not to mention the mech that one day will have to get in there and do some work. Over greasing in there makes SUCH a mess...not fun when changing clutch brakes out! lol.

Hope that was clearer than mud. lol

My1st387 Thanks this.
  4. ramkatral

ramkatral Heavy Load Member

Dec 27, 2010
    Tryon, NC
    Think of it this way. A couple of weeks ago Tony Stewart lost his bearing. He couldn't disengage the clutch to put it in gear, so his crew had to push him up to speed where he could float the tranny into gear.

5. SL3406

SL3406 Medium Load Member

Jan 10, 2011
    Oklahoma
    This is a good explanation of a push type clutch in a car or pickup. However trucks use a pull type clutch. The throwout bearing is attached to the pressure plate. The fork pulls the bearing back towards the transmission to disengage the clutch, and the throwout bearing turns 100% of the time the engine is running which is why they are greasable. I would give it at least a couple of pumps of grease. While it is possible to over grease them not enough grease is worse.

6. The Admiral

The Admiral Heavy Load Member

Jul 18, 2010
    Akron,Ohio
    We used to heat up the grease gun with a heat gun,start the truck up,have someone hold the clutch to the floor(this get the bearing spinning) then pump some grease into the bearing. With the remote hose it should be easy,if not watch the fingers.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.