Ticket Question

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Hiekang, Dec 28, 2017.

1. Hiekang

Hiekang Bobtail Member

May 19, 2016
    Hey guys.

I received a ticket a few months ago for not putting my chains on in a chain area. (Had to be winced out).

Being inexperienced I went ahead and just paid it without going to a cdl lawyer which is apparently an admission of guilt. Im trying to get the ticket to a lawyer through appeals fwiw.

It was my first year of trucking and my company did not teach me how to chain up.

Some questions :
    How serious a ticket is this? Is it considered a moving violation?
    How do employers view this? Is it a big deal?
    Did I make a mistake by not fighting it? (I was clearly guilty)

Im trying to get a job in LTL currently and want to make this a career long term (im 30).

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Superhauler

Superhauler TEACHER OF MEN

Jan 30, 2010
    keep stroking.
    Forget about it.

Hiekang and TripleSix Thank this.
  4. TripleSix

TripleSix God of Roads

Apr 10, 2009
    Copied in Hell
    Second that notion. Its a non moving violation.

Hiekang Thanks this.
  5. pmdriver

pmdriver Road Train Member

Nov 14, 2017
    Sometimes it comes with a huge fine and costs with it, these states like taking money from the uninformed, look at what else your company did not tell you about, they think on the job training is the way to go, You are responsible to know all the rules at all the times and the rules are not even in this country, unless you are getting great pay I would look at another company because now you know they will throw you to the wolves.

Hiekang Thanks this.
  6. Hiekang

Hiekang Bobtail Member

May 19, 2016
    ^ nah this company was alright, I found the experience to be ok overall. also the ticket was only 80 dollars or so.

thanks for the info guys. that is great news for me.

7. pmdriver

Nov 14, 2017
    They sticking everyone including cars on I-70 in Colorado with up to a $1000. fine now so make sure you follow the rules.

Hiekang Thanks this.
  8. laaylor

laaylor Road Train Member

Oct 16, 2007
    Creston, Wa
    It’s nonmoving.. I had one once because I went to the 2nd chain up area... the 1st area was full and dangerous.. but, that didn’t matter.. they ticketed all 5 of us who were in the process of chaining up.. I fought it, but the judge didn’t care about my safety. 650$$.. no reduction; but non moving; no points..

Hiekang Thanks this.
  9. pmdriver

Nov 14, 2017
    Back when I first started we just went for it, most of the time with no chains and always made it, then them roads got super crowded and some started holding up the skiers, miss the good ol days

Hiekang and mtoo Thank this.
  10. pattyj

pattyj Road Train Member

Jul 19, 2008
    Sioux City,ia
    From now on read your signs and it'll probably be lite up so you don't miss it.Also look to see if any other drivers are chaining up.Far as fighting it you already plead guilty no lawyer will take your case.Besides $80.00 is a cheap fine.Chalk this as a lesson learned and move on.

TROOPER to TRUCKER and Hiekang Thank this.
  11. Oldironfan

Oldironfan Road Train Member

May 22, 2017
    If you caused an accident with other vehicles on a big grade for not using chains when restriction is on, your ### would be done. Use the chains.

mitmaks and Hiekang Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.