Tie downs for under trailer dunnage Storage

Discussion in 'Flatbed Trucking Forum' started by Kansas, Jul 26, 2012.

1. xTHANATOPSISx

xTHANATOPSISx Light Load Member

Feb 12, 2010
    Hutchinson, KS
    Looks like E-track stuff to me. Most tracks have even spacing of bolt holes and track holes so you could probably cut what you need from a longer piece of E-track for a better price, but I'm not sure ATM...

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    i use the same ratchet straps from walmart. i have a red one. never considered what dottie likes. although i do have some strap hanging down. so they can see something there.

when i first started though. all our trailers were bungee straps. today, i'm the only one using a ratchet. the other trailers still have those bungees. but we haven't visited the southeast yet.

4. Pedigreed Bulldog

Pedigreed Bulldog Road Train Member

May 7, 2011
    Yes, underneath. Stack the timbers in the notch of the landing gear supports, wrap the 1/4" chain around the timbers (making sure it also wraps around one of the support cross members for the landing gears)...hook the 2 ends of the 1/4" snap binder to the chain and tighten. You don't need a long piece of chain...3' to 4' is probably more than enough. It just has to wrap around the timbers & one of the landing gear braces.

The problem with using a ratchet strap you'll find out in the winter.....run through some slush, then let it freeze hard overnight. Good luck getting your timbers out for an early morning load. With a chain & snap binder, that isn't an issue. Not only that, but the strap will wear out over time and need to be replaced (even if you DON'T have to cut the stupid thing off after it freezes solid or rusts up on you)...the chain & binder won't.

I just don't like messing with stuff that shouldn't need messing with. The chain is much less hassle.

Kansas, CAXPT and hup Thank this.
  5. Truck-N-Tech

Truck-N-Tech Medium Load Member

Sep 13, 2010
    I never put my 4x4s under the trailer anymore. I stack them on the very nose of the trailer, going side to side. I stack them 3 wide, and 3 high. Then I use 2 ratchet straps to secure them, putting the straps over them in an X pattern. I don't use those cheap straps. I use my 2" wide ratchet straps. It only takes a minute to do the job right, so do it. One of those 4X4s ever comes off your trailer, and kills someone, it will be a little late to think about doing the job right.

I know, you've seen everyone doing it the other way. Those guys are not doing it right, and their actions are endangering the public. If you don't think it is worth the extra minute or two to do the job right, then you shouldn't be in a truck

How many loads do you haul on flatbed, that use every foot of trailer space? If you do use every foot of trailer space, then have them load the load 1 foot from the front edge of the trailer. Better to have the load hanging 12 inches off the back end of the trailer, which is completely legal, than to have improperly secured wood under it. The 12 inches in front is plenty of space to stack the 6, or even 9 4X4s you have. Use your 2" straps to secure the wood, in the same X pattern. Have both straps start about 3 feet from the front of the trailer, run over the wood, and come down the front on the other side, going under the front corner on the other side of the trailer. This will keep the wood properly secured.

In most situations, when I am dropping an empty, and hooking to a loaded trailer, moving the wood from the top of the one trailer, over to the top of the other, is easier than pulling them out from the landing gear. Even if it was not easier, I would still do it, because it is the right way to do it.

I know all the beer bellied flatbedders, who sit around telling stories from the road, will say they have always done it their way. Well, there way is wrong, and I won't do it. I hold myself to a higher standard than some other I meet do, and will not lower safety, just to save 2 minutes strapping wood down properly.

6. Pedigreed Bulldog

May 7, 2011
    1 chain used correctly will hold the timbers more securely than your 2 straps when transporting them on the nose of the trailer. Hook each end of the chain back to itself in a loop just large enough to wrap around the end of the timbers....use a snap binder to pull the slack out of the center of the chain & squeeze the timbers together.

There is nothing unsafe or wrong with keeping the timbers under the trailer IF they are properly secured. Unsecured cargo and equipment, on the other hand, is ALWAYS a problem.

Speedemon1084, Leftlane101 and CAXPT Thank this.
  7. Kansas

Kansas Road Train Member

Apr 14, 2009
    aircap, Ks.
    Went to waly world and got a couple 1" straps. I don't like them one little bit. They could get cut really easy from vibration so I put corner protectors under them.

In the mean time I've ordered some 2" straps with wire hook ends. All I can find on the road is the flat hooks. Not sure I'm digging this solution either. It's gonna be a hassle.

Im trying to find custom length poultry binders. Or I may end up fabricating my own. Doing it this way I'll only have two ends to wrangle. One chain end and one hook on the binder.

Like Bulldog said, wet, snow and ice is going to equal misery with the ratchet straps, especially sitting down low as that rack does.

CAXPT Thanks this.
  8. Kansas

Kansas Road Train Member

Apr 14, 2009
    aircap, Ks.
    Uh yeah, not to mention the rack under my trailer was specifically intended for dunnage storage. Although I appreciate Truck-N-Techs taking the time to type out how he does it. But, his way is not the only safe way. It's a shame we can't get our point across on here with out resorting to insults.

After all I came on here to ask about a better way to get this job done! I'm seeking advise not insults. I'm certain my rubber tarp cords are much more secure than those stupid one inch straps I'm using currently! And yes I understand those rubber straps are not legal.. I don't feel at all safe with them right now, and will probably end up not using them at all. Prior to now I had been stacking them on the nose of my trailer, since it is a Conestoga they alway interfered with the latching mechanism, and we're otherwise a total PITA! But I did it anyway. I have recently installed two new chain racks on the nose of my trailer, and a chain tail catch box that also stores my V-boards. So... The nose is no longer an option. You see Truck-N-Tech, not all options and situations are the exact same as yours...

spyder7723 and CAXPT Thank this.
  9. AZS

AZS Honk if anything falls off

Sep 30, 2010
    PHX, AZ
    didn't realize the subject shifted into winter lol, as long as its secure and its legal who cares.

10. kwswan

kwswan Road Train Member

Jul 26, 2009
    mcminnville,tn.
    Kansas,go to a tractor supply or lowes,they will have the two inch wire hook ratchet straps. I bought two at tractor supply back in the spring on sale for ten bucks apiece,2x15.

Kansas Thanks this.
  11. Pedigreed Bulldog

May 7, 2011
    September is only 34 days away...and September means certain states require CMV's to carry tire chains on certain roads. Tire chains mean winter is coming.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.