Tie downs for under trailer dunnage Storage

Discussion in 'Flatbed Trucking Forum' started by Kansas, Jul 26, 2012.

1. Truck-N-Tech

Truck-N-Tech Medium Load Member

Sep 13, 2010
    First off, and most importantly, I didn't intend to insult anyone. I was just being honest about the importance of doing things the right way, as opposed to some other way, simply because you saw someone else doing it. (not you, but any third party to my statement)

And actually I do agree that a chain, with a binder is a better option, but I was giving the minimum case scenario. Also, I didn't know you had a rack made for storing the wood. I thought the subject was about stacking the wood in the supports for the landing gear, and using bungee straps to hold them in place. If you work for a company that has a rack for the wood, under the trailer, then by all means, use that. Just make sure that there is no possible way for the wood to fall out of the rack.

This subject is a bit of an issue with me, because we had a real tragedy in my area. Little kid killed by a 4X4 coming off a truck. Then they find out the driver had used what amounted to little more than kite string to secure the wood on his trailer. Even after he knew the kid was dead, he was on camera saying "hell, I been do'n it dis way fer years". He acted like the dead kid was no big deal. His callous disregard for the safety of the public was an outrage.

The long and short of it is, don't move the trailer down the road unless you are absolutely certain everything on the trailer, **STAYS** on the trailer.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Truck609

Truck609 Light Load Member

Dec 17, 2011
    Arizona
    Kansas:

If you feel more comfortable using bungees to secure your dunnage...I say USE THEM! Just make sure that you ALSO use the ratchet straps that you don't feel comfortable with for legality reasons. That way you know your dunnage will stay put AND is legally tied down.

Also, if you are securing your dunnage with a ratchet strap, and it is 8 foot dunnage, make sure you are using TWO ratchet straps, as one would not be legal on 8 foot material.

I use two 2 inch ratchet binders for the last couple of years, but only because I haven't taken the time to locate some light duty small chain and binders. Yes, I cuss those straps every winter......maybe this will be the winter I get the chains and binders? LOL

CAXPT Thanks this.
  4. not4hire

not4hire Road Train Member

May 16, 2012
    Calgary
    Blue (polyurethane) tarp straps have a WLL molded on them. Going from memory as I don't have one in front of me, but I think it is 75 lbs.

5. timpte

timpte Bobtail Member

Sep 13, 2011
    Explain this: bungees are not a securment but how is ur tarp secured? HMMMMM

6. Autocar

Autocar Road Train Member

Apr 28, 2012
    The Hot Rod Shop Oxford, AL
    You are not securing freight with them to the vehicle, besides, they are not listed as an approved securement device in the regs.
    Truck609 is correct, you can use bungees in addition, but not as primary securement.

CAXPT Thanks this.
  7. timpte

timpte Bobtail Member

Sep 13, 2011
    If that was the case dunnage is not considered freight. Just saying

8. not4hire

not4hire Road Train Member

May 16, 2012
    Calgary
    Correction: 50 lbs WLL.

9. SHC

SHC Spoiled Rotten Brat O/O

Feb 26, 2011
    Westville, IN
    lots and lots of times. AM General does not allow any lumber on the deck, and moving them somewhere else isn't an option unless I have an under-trailer carrier for it. I can only fit 2 between the crossmembers of the legs. Hence why the OP was asking for ideas.

As for the little kid being killed by a 4x4 coming off a truck, that's a freak accident. Just wrong place at the wrong time.

10. Autocar

Autocar Road Train Member

Apr 28, 2012
    The Hot Rod Shop Oxford, AL
    Someone had posted a link to some clamp on brackets made by Aero. They would be just the ticket, hold your dunnage and be able to mount some boxes to store your tarps and straps, without drilling.

11. skellr

skellr Road Train Member

Jul 17, 2011
    The Village, Portmeirion
    I like this idea.
    2012-09-30_15-04-30_827.jpg

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.