Time for a DPF bake? Excessive and long rolling regens

Discussion in 'Heavy Duty Diesel Truck Mechanics Forum' started by zaroba, Oct 2, 2022.

1. bonder45

bonder45 Road Train Member

Oct 2, 2011
    Williston, ND
    Sounds like it’s time for a bake.

On a serious side note, you need to stop idling all night asap. Those paccar engines will die quick because of it. Idling is the silent killer on Diesel engines.

bzinger and lester Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. zaroba

zaroba Heavy Load Member

Aug 28, 2012
    South East PA
    Unfortunately I don't have an APU so I have no choice but to idle during the warmer months if I want AC. Hopefully in spring I'll be able to get one. I don't idle much in the cooler months, i like the cold, I'm fine down to 30f without my bunk heater.

bzinger Thanks this.
  4. zaroba

zaroba Heavy Load Member

Aug 28, 2012
    South East PA
    Few times now checking for leaks while it was smoking. Side panels off, even crawling under the truck. All the clamps are tight and there's no soot/dirt build up indicating a leak.

Only leak I've found so far was a small one in the engine, seemed much to small to produce the billowing smoke.

This bottom valve between the turbo and exhaust (egr?). Small amounts of smoke puffing from behind it under the pipe.

20221022_082925.jpg

D.Tibbitt Thanks this.
  5. D.Tibbitt

D.Tibbitt Road Train Member

Apr 26, 2013
    Gettin' down westbound
    check those clamps that connect the pipes together... best way to check is after ur truck has been sitting so all pipes are cold.. then startup and spray with soap and water and watch for bubbles.. you can still do it when its hot but the soap exaporates to quickly

6. armo

armo Light Load Member

Jun 16, 2022
    bake ? no...
    hot water and brick acid(or pool acid -32%) will clean it good and fast.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.