Time for a new job, Sugestions????

Discussion in 'Motor Carrier Questions - The Inside Scoop' started by American-Trucker, Jul 31, 2012.

1. gunslingercolt

gunslingercolt Bobtail Member

Jul 16, 2012
    Georgia
    For what it is worth A.T. I would suggest trying to get into something specialized. I know it is kinda hard to do but it can be done, I did it with only 2 years exp. now I currently have 4 1/2 yrs exp. at home 95% of the time (if I'm not at home I'm in a hotel, no more sleeping in the truck), off weekends, and rarely drive over 1500 miles in a week (don't really keep up with miles though, don't get paid by them) and make a decent living. Yea the job has its drawbacks but the good out ways the bad by a long shot. Jobs like this rarely advertise, usually have a very low turnover rate and for that reason have a aged driving force. With alot of the baby boomers retiring and nearing retirement now is a good time to get you foot in the door. Just half to do the footwork to find the companies in your area.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. American-Trucker

American-Trucker Road Train Member

Nov 8, 2009
    Charlotte, North Carolina
    this is why i started this thread....to find companies like that. I see 1000's of trucks everyday (daycabs) with company names i dont know, kinda hard to know whos who and whats what by looking at a truck.

American Trucker

4. gunslingercolt

gunslingercolt Bobtail Member

Jul 16, 2012
    Georgia
    Yea I know what ya saying, when I was OTR and what get to run threw my home area and would see daycabs or trucks hauling something I wanted to try I would write down the company name and google it later to get an address and info on them then to see if they were worth contacting about a job.

5. Logan76

Logan76 Crusty In Training

Jul 12, 2009
    kittanning, PA
    Who's going to come on here and tell you about those REALLY good jobs? No one with half a brain would, when you find a really good gig you keep your mouth shut about it if you have half a brain, too many people out there just waiting in line to cut your throat! Sure you have a few people who have made suggestions of decent places to work, but those big money jobs getting you by the house often arent going to be named on this forum, atleast if the people working them have any sense about them....

If you want that really good job your going to have to really start knocking on doors and getting out there and checking these places out for yourself, not making a thread on the internet...

FLATBED Thanks this.
  6. wsyrob

wsyrob Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Sep 14, 2007
    Winston Salem
    I know that seems to ring true but why if you are talking about company positions? Truck drivers are a paranoid bunch. How exactly is someone going to "cut your throat" if you have worked someplace for years and have built up a good reputation with that company and don't screw the pooch. If anything it would allow said company to collect more applications and therefore be picky and hire better quality drivers. That keeps the CSA score lower.

It could be argued that they might hire too many drivers and make the situation worse for those there. I would argue that management is generally good at these companies or they wouldn't be good places to begin with and they wouldn't hire more drivers than needed.

7. Logan76

Logan76 Crusty In Training

Jul 12, 2009
    kittanning, PA
    Guess I'm just paranoid? If I had a job making 80k+ I wouldn't be telling anyone about it, just like I don't get on the cb and spout off stuff about the freight that I haul...maybe I'm crazy?

8. wsyrob

wsyrob Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Sep 14, 2007
    Winston Salem
    2 different subjects entirely. I wouldn't get on the CB or talk in truck stops about my load either and I pull stuff that isn't easily stolen or fenced. Most wouldn't want the smelly slimy stuff I haul.

I just don't see an outsider finding out about a great job on the internet causing a good driver at the company with years of error free experience to lose his job. It costs thousands to find and train new people. Good companies want to retain good employees.

9. cpape

cpape Desk Jockey

Jul 15, 2010
    Dubuque, IA
    My view from the other side of the phone would match wsyrob...good drivers at good companies don't have anything to worry about in bringing new drivers to their companies. Usually these companies have more freight than they can handle. Most of these companies have some sort of training program to build less experienced drivers into the drivers they want. In addition, it is unlikely they would over hire. Good companies are not out there trying to grow 100% per year.

sewerman and Logan76 Thank this.
  10. Grindem

Grindem Light Load Member

Oct 9, 2011
    pilot point,Texas
    Thanks klatu, I Actually lived in Argyle TX for 3 years and worked at Chaney for a while :back in 1987:
    Your trucks pass our Red and White belly trucks (My current driving job, ,newly hired) all the time on hwy 114.
    I'm spoiled on the automatic transmissions and the new Equipment.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2012
  11. catrucker916

catrucker916 Light Load Member

Aug 5, 2012

Off topic but why would you get a new truck if the current one only has 66k? That's basically brand new

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.