Time for a new job, Sugestions????

Discussion in 'Motor Carrier Questions - The Inside Scoop' started by American-Trucker, Jul 31, 2012.

1. The Challenger

The Challenger Kinghunter

Dec 22, 2007
    East Central FL
    So you went from saying this:

I HATE my job, correction i HATE my EMPLOYER, i love that my job is easy and that im home everyday and off weekends, but i cannot take the crap equipment, low pay, long hours, total disregaurd for safety and DOT Regs. Not to mention the money for all this work is an insult to even a driver with 6 months OTR exp...

To this:

KH

anj8488, scottied67 and FLATBED Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. American-Trucker

American-Trucker Road Train Member

Nov 8, 2009
    Charlotte, North Carolina

like i said im not happy, but im hardly in a mess or any kind of trouble lol. There are guys that have been here 20+ years with clean CSA and MVR's, they only make $65,000/yr but thats better then most of the local driving jobs around here. I'm not saying there is much of anything good about this place, but for the moment im still home every night, off weekends and holidays. This is hardly the live n death situation your makeing this out to be...

American Trucker

4. j.r.1981

j.r.1981 Light Load Member

Aug 22, 2012
    Have you looked into fedex freight? I did that for a while but i was on the bottom of the board and was going to be stuck there for a couple years. They have road runs called shuttles. Mine went from flagstaff,az to phoenix,az. Work dock for three or four hours then haul a set back to Flagstaff was just not my thing only did it for six months and was taking home 1000.00 a week. Paid hourly and by the mile. Get paid for drops hooks and fueling.

5. j.r.1981

j.r.1981 Light Load Member

Aug 22, 2012
    Also fedex is freight is a non-union company so not as much crap to put up with. Still quite a bit but not as much haha!

6. sheilamarlene

sheilamarlene Bobtail Member

Dec 9, 2011
    Columbus, OH
    Hello,
    This is actually my first post on this forum...but I thought I might have something somewhat relevant to say. I don't want to name the company outright because of company policy, but they have a terminal in Charlotte and if you're interested please PM me. I've actually been to the terminal a few times...and it's a nice terminal. The dispatchers and the few people in the office that I met were great, and I've met a few Charlotte drivers on some meet&turn runs I've covered for senior drivers. I'm not sure what it's like there, but at my terminal in Ohio, you're on the extra board until you gain enough seniority to get on the bid list. Here, that's about 1.5- 2 years. I heard the Greensboro, NC terminal has about 8-10 years wait....just depends on the terminal. As much as I can't wait to get on a scheduled run, the extra board isn't that bad. I really have the opportunity to make as much/little as I feel- within reason. Sometimes I get to cover a senior driver's schedule when he/she calls off or goes on vacation. Sometimes they'll set up an unscheduled meet/turn for me. Every once in awhile I'll stay out and hop from terminal to terminal. Last week I went from Columbus, OH to Wytheville, VA. Dropped one trailer from the set, grabbed another and went to Greensboro, NC. When I got to Greensboro, the dispatcher asked, do you want to keep going or go to bed? I said keep me moving, and so he sent me to Charlotte. Once I got to Charlotte I broke my trailers apart in the yard, and hooked to a set back to Greensboro. I barely made it in my 11hrs, but I had 680 miles that day. When I got to Greensboro I had to go to bed. The dispatcher asked me if I'm out to run or not. I said I'd like to go home if they had the freight. I woke up on my 10 and was already set up to head home. If I would have said I was out to run, he would have asked me when I wanted home by, and I'd just hop around and stay in hotels until it was time for me to go home. I've been with the company 6 months and have never had a break down and have never had to stay out when I requested to be home. I know you aren't interested in e-logs...but I like it. I never have to touch freight, just drop and hook...and back my trailers to the dock depending on the terminal, but if I've had to drop and hook 3 or 4 sets in a day, I'm glad to have the 14 hours on the computer to protect me. Also, there's drop and hook pay. If I choose to run wild for 5 or 6 days I still do at least 520 miles a day. I've never made less than $950 after taxes and that's at bottom pay. A lot of this stuff may be pretty standard for LTL carriers...but I don't know much about others to compare. There are some days when I am just so OVER it and feeling like I want to look for a new job...but that's usually because I'm dispatched to some crappy terminal I hate, but I'm in and out of it in less than an hour, so I'm quick to cheer up. I think you should stick with LTL, like others have stated. I have co workers who did a lot of job hopping before, and not even in LTL, and still got hired. I'm sure if you called and asked to talk to the line haul manager first, he'd be happy to hear you out. That's what I did, and I got hired with no experience. This company has a very low turn over rate. I feel lucky to be where I'm at. PM me if you're interested...you may have already tried them.

7. Trucker Steve

Trucker Steve Medium Load Member

Nov 9, 2008
    Phoenix az
    LMAO you crack me up bro!

American-Trucker Thanks this.
  8. American-Trucker

American-Trucker Road Train Member

Nov 8, 2009
    Charlotte, North Carolina
    you work for YRC, they already offered me a job and i turned it down.

American Trucker

9. snowman01

snowman01 Road Train Member

Sep 27, 2011
    North Carolina
    I took a job with a national carrier on a dedicated account and quickly found out it was not for me. I stuck it out for 1 yr to avoid the stigma of job hopping then gave my notice and found another which I ran for 2yrs. Due to much turmoil at the account we hauled for including a buyout from a different company of the business we hauled for I again gave my noitce and had no problem getting back on to the national carrier I left although I am not doing a dedicated account with them. Anyone can stick a job out for some time if they have to and I would recommend always giving it 1yr unless something is seriously wrong and then to give 2 weeks written notice before leaving. Doing your homework prior to hiring onto a company can avoid much unpleasantness. "I had no idea this company was this messed up" or "man, I didn't know what crappy equipment they had" is no excuse. The job I just left, I showed up at the terminal before hiring on with them and not only talked with several drivers but climbed into some of the spare trucks to see what they were.

10. rubberducky68

rubberducky68 Road Train Member

Sep 9, 2010
    Jefferson GA
    Only 65k per year? I know a lot of out of work Americans that would kill for that right now. Heck, I would settle for that.

Milktanker and CertifiedSweetie Thank this.
  11. rubberducky68

rubberducky68 Road Train Member

Sep 9, 2010
    Jefferson GA
    AT, I know you have heard this a million times but you can't have your cake and eat it too. I would stick it out there for a while so you don't wind up screwing yourself down the road. I hated my last job but I stayed there 7 years.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.