Time for a new job, Sugestions????

Discussion in 'Motor Carrier Questions - The Inside Scoop' started by American-Trucker, Jul 31, 2012.

1. Wedge

Wedge Road Train Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Griffin, Georgia
    AT, I think what would give you the most leverage and flexibility as a driver is before it's too late, return to OTR. Get into a lease/op program with a buy out, and then you can take your truck and lease on to what ever company you want.

As an O/O you can control where you go and what you do. There are plenty of proprietary manufacturers out there that would pay you to run their goods from their facility to another. I was offered a job to run back and forth between a sheet metal house and an assembly plant. My only problem is I lack the truck....lol.

The way I see it, if you want to stay in the drivers seat (pun escaped) you have 2 choices: Stick with line haul or go back OTR. IMO buddy, you jumped from OTR a little too soon. Get back out there, even if you have to spend a few nights out on the road. Your loved ones at home will support your decision.

DrtyDiesel Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Trashtrucker1265

Trashtrucker1265 Road Train Member

Dec 14, 2009
    Inverness, Fl
    I have no job suggestions for you, just life suggestions like a few others have tossed your way. I'm 28, soon to be 29 and was just like you at your age. I had an arrogance about me that I never knew I had, but everyone else around me sure as hell did, but hey I was 22 and knew the ins and outs of trucking like no other. I followed your same path, with a little more longevity tossed in, and every fence I saw by god wouldn't you know it THE GRASS WAS GREENER ON THE OTHER SIDE!

The economy hit rock bottom a few years back in Florida and wouldn't you know it now the employer had the upper hand, my job hopping ways were a thing of the past and I struggled to find a decent position. To this day reputable companies still don't take me seriously because of my job history, I have no accidents, tickets, or terminations but longevity goes a long way.

I would like to say stick it out with CT, but I can't because they're everything everyone on here told you they would be, GARBAGE! Garbage trucks, garbage pay, garbage schedules and everything that goes along with it. I hope you find what you're looking for in a job but guys like me, and Logan who have traveled the same career path as you are finding it harder and harder to acquire decent employment with good pay. Take a step back for a minute and take some of this advice seriously and change the things that need to be changed before you're stuck with a "reputation".

hotrod1018, Logan76, chico9696 and 6 others Thank this.
  4. The Challenger

The Challenger Kinghunter

Dec 22, 2007
    East Central FL
    AT,

I was once a job hopper myself and it cost me dearly. When my friends were out getting good jobs with good companies, I was overlooked for this reason. The only reason why I was ever hired or got called at by some of the places was my experience in my former field. You have had doors open for opprtunities left and right. You had it good at LS and some will tell you that had it good. I figured by now you would be working for a small company that is willing to teach you how to be an o/o. Yet you come here and ask for advice and flag everyone down because it isn't good enough. The bigger companies might be your best shot. I am sorry to offer bad advice, but were in a tough economy where we have to suck it up or take a cut in pay to get what we want.

vikingswen, FLATBED, aiwiron and 5 others Thank this.
  5. Jorihe84

Jorihe84 Road Train Member

Sep 1, 2010
    North Florida
    You know...... Those same carriers you label a BFI just may have a dream gig for you. My company gets bashed quite a bit on here. I put my all into them and its paying off. I run 2500-3000 a week consistently, home Atleast one night a week, sometimes 4...and off weekends. Decent benefits and a 401k. Truck is APU equipped, has 66k miles on it and ill be getting a new one this month. Just because a company was horrible for other people and has a certain rep doesn't mean it's going to be the same for you.

FLATBED, scottied67, milskired and 4 others Thank this.
  6. Pirate Trucker XOXX

Pirate Trucker XOXX Medium Load Member

Aug 2, 2012
    Orlando,Fl. & NC & VA
    Hey AT talk to us brother let us know what your thinking. I'm really wanting to help if I can.

7. losttrucker

losttrucker Road Train Member

Mar 9, 2008
    greenville,nc

When you get to a terminal they ask you "How many hours you got left" What you tell them is totally up to you, If your sleepy tell them and head to the hotel, if your at a termianl and you happen to like the hotel choice there bed down!! They will expect you to be able to run and be productive, the reason we used to, some still do, the 65mphX11hr thing is simple, 3200 miles at 48-50cpm equals NICE paychecks.

aiwiron, paul_4lp and milskired Thank this.
  8. Superquack

Superquack Medium Load Member

Mar 7, 2010
    Theres also a company called Valley Proteins thats all local. Pull tanks and dumps, volvo tractors. About all I know

9. aiwiron

aiwiron Road Train Member

Aug 24, 2011
    Sunny Tampa Florida
    But you work, I will leave it at that.

losttrucker Thanks this.
  10. chico9696

chico9696 Medium Load Member

Feb 12, 2009
    USA
    "I originally wasn't going to start another thread, since i should be doing the same route 5 days a week, a simple round trip. But I've decided to start this blog for 2 reasons #1 Because there is little to no info about being a Line Haul Driver on here #2 quite a few readers of my blog requested that i continue my saga....so here it is!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

So it all started about 2.5-3 weeks ago I was home on home time and I saw an AD on Craigslist advertising a Local Line Haul Job for a Big LTL company.

Now I've been applying with the big LTL companies since i was 18....and continue to update my apps every 6 months (they expire) and I've NEVER gotten so much as a call back. And im not just applying to apply i apply for OPEN jobs posted on their sites! and still NOTHING for 4 YEARS!

So anyway, i was going to apply at their site like usual BUT this job wasn't even posted yet! :biggrin_25524: So I drove down to the terminal to fill out a paper app in person. And just in case i always like to be prepared like a boy scout so i brought a Copy of my MVR and a Copy of my Long form (for my DOT Physical). So i get their and fill out the app, and turn it into the Terminal Manager, and i tell him i also had my MVR and Long Form if he wanted to see it and to my surprise he said he did. So he made a copy of both and Faxed the App, MVR, and long form into Corporate and asked me to wait a few min to see what they said :biggrin_25511: ( I was thinking dang a few min and their gonna see my app that fast?)

Well not 2 min later the phone rings, it was corporate calling to tell the manager to set me up for a Video Interview (web cam/phone) so i did that, and they seemed very interested in hiring me. When she asked how long i was on the road i told her out 5 weeks then home for 5 days she says "omg that sucks, lets get you home" i liked the sound of that.

So after that the manager hands me a piece of paper and says "go here and do a drug test", i didn't notice it ALSO said DOT Physical on it too until i got their lol. When i saw that i was thinking dang they sure are spending allot of money on someone they aren't going to hire...:biggrin_25511:

The terminal manager also gave me a stack like 2 inches thick of paper work to read/ sign/ fill out and return to him. So after the test and physical i went home to do the paper work.

The terminal manager had also said as he handed my the drug test form, "when they send someone for a drug test, that usually means you have the job" and i about fell over! :biggrin_2555:

Now at this point my head was spinning, i didn't know what to do! I had just started working at Lone Star Transportation (Started December 8th 2011) and i LOVED it there, i loved my truck, flat bedding, the money was insane, and i had a great dispatcher who ran me good and hard just like i like! BUT at the same time i also wanted to be home more and actually have a life...I'm only 22, i moved to NC after High School when i was 18 and have done nothing but work and i mean 10-16 hours a day 5-6 days a week, and unfortunately almost every job I've had in NC everyone i worked with was wayyy older like 30+ so little to no chance in making friends down here :biggrin_25511: and the FEW that were closer to my age were married and had kids lol. I had spent 1.5 YEARS LIVING in a truck, don't get my wrong, i like OTR, i love Sleeper trucks, i love this country and getting to see it (even the sheety places like NJ, NY, and CA) i really didn't mind leaving home, sleeping in a truck, truck stops, truck stop showers/bathrooms (i didn't LIKE them but i could live with it).

Yeah there are things i don't like about OTR but nothing i cant handle, but this was an opportunity to be home, make good money, have a life, and all with a CAKE JOB! So i was lost, i spent 4 DAYS thinking, researching, calling friends (mostly truck driver friends) and after 4 days i finally decided to was going to give it a try, I've been 2nd guessing myself since i made the decision to apply for the job in the first place, and i am STILL doing it, i gave up a BEAUTIFUL 2007 379Exhd Peterbilt and a $60,000- $75,000/year job for this (this being the unknown)

I am choosing to keep the company OUT of this blog for 3 reasons, #1 Company policy about blogging (it doesn't prohibit it, it just discourages it), #2 The name of the company doesn't matter, this is MY blog about MY experience in a Niche of trucking, not with this company specifically, #3 Line Haul is Line Haul so i want this thread to be helpful to anyone looking to get into this Niche of the Industry, not just this company.

I know some of you know who I'm going to work for, if you don't know you clearly aren't looking. But i would appreciate it if we can keep the company Bashing and questions about this company out of this thread. If you have questions about the company (like you already know who im going to work for and you applied here to and want some info about the company...PM me I'll be glad to help)

For any of you thinking "WTF is Line Haul?":

A line haul driver is a shuttle driver, most commonly seen pulling a set of pups (Doubles or Triples) or a 53' trailer. Line Haul Drivers simply do a round trip, from their home terminal to another terminal a few hours away and straight back to their home terminal OR they meet up with another driver halfway between terminals and switch trailers. So basically you hook to a trailer or trailers drive to a terminal or a meeting point, drop your trailer or trailers, hook to another trailer or trailers and return to your home terminal...same route every day...easy!

They had 2 different routes open when i applied so I'm not sure which one I'll be getting.....yet.

I start Monday April 16th 2012. First day is basically just watching videos etc (typical orientation type of stuff) and learning about the dock stuff, forklifts, loading and unloading etc all the stuff I'll need to know about the terminal operations and dock work. Tuesday and Thursday I'll be riding with a driver trainer, his job is basically to show me how to put together and break down a set, and show me how the paper work and whatever else is involved with the run is done.

Then Thursday i should be own my own, running my route. Also NOTE: most line haul drivers run Night Shifts. My shift starts at 7pm Mon-Fri with weekends and Holidays off, shift goes to 6-9am so basically 11-14 hour work days.

Thanks for Reading!

American Trucker"

Amazing what can change in 14 weeks.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2012
    Leftlane101, ACH1130, ladyfire and 6 others Thank this.
  11. THE ROOKIE

THE ROOKIE Light Load Member

Nov 2, 2009
    Buena Vista, GA
    I agree, might I suggest where you can stick it?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.