Time for a new job, Sugestions????

Discussion in 'Motor Carrier Questions - The Inside Scoop' started by American-Trucker, Jul 31, 2012.

1. JohnBoy

JohnBoy Road Train Member

Apr 24, 2009
    Lake Worth, FL.
    And here I thought that at the young age of 23, this new driver is entitled to the demands he sets forth. After 30+ years of this I still am looking for that perfect job that gives me what I think I'm entitled to.

paul_4lp, hotrod1018, FLATBED and 2 others Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. The Challenger

The Challenger Kinghunter

Dec 22, 2007
    East Central FL
    I think everone is looking for that John. Some will find it, some wont and some will put needs and wants on a list and go from there.

KH

4. chico9696

chico9696 Medium Load Member

Feb 12, 2009
    USA

Well said....puts this thread in the proverbial nutshell.

5. better late than never

better late than never Bobtail Member

Aug 1, 2012
    south jersey
    i thought reading a miss print. winkjr,what is that avatar from, it looks familiar.

6. rbrtwbstr

rbrtwbstr Road Train Member

Jul 11, 2012
    in the bush somewhere
    AT, just remember, what does not kill you will make you stronger....I've done my time with a rather large dry bulk carrier, and I got to the point of not liking the company. I've since moved to a small, local campany pulling dry bulk. Im grossing about 1200 a week now on about 2000 miles a week. And I am home every day.But my point is this....without eating crow for two years, i wouldn't be where I am today. and I am all the better for the early sacrafices i made in the early days.. keep your chin up, you will get there

7. indycolts

indycolts Bobtail Member

May 9, 2012
    NWI
    Go to another LTL company. It's not a secret that your current company is at the bottom of the barrel.

Hiring managers know about the other companies.

Radman and xlsdraw Thank this.
  8. Rugerfan

Rugerfan Road Train Member

May 3, 2011
    Redding,CA
    nothing against AT or anyone else but there are just some people that no matter where they go they arent happy and everyone to them is a bottom feeder when really maybe they are the bottom feeder themselves

hotrod1018, FLATBED and ACH1130 Thank this.
  9. paul_4lp

paul_4lp Road Train Member

Oct 21, 2010
    Fort Myers, FL

Rugerfan and DrtyDiesel Thank this.
  10. bigjoel

bigjoel Road Train Member

Jan 20, 2011
    Houston, Tx
    I look at trucking more from a driver's viewpoint.

Since truck driving requires a CDL, you are more like a contractor. You work for a company, but are licensed by the state. Therefore looking out for yourself (keeping a clean record) is paramount to staying employable.

As far as "job hopping" goes, I would agree to a point where too many different jobs in a short time period can be detrimental.

I feel like this, if I am being fairly compensated for my time, and drive a safe, maintained truck, and am treated fairly, I have no reason to leave.

If a company misrepresents themselves, promising things that they have no intention of honoring, then I don't have any problem seeking employment elsewhere.

I need to be fairly compensated for my time, and have a decent truck to operate. I have no problem leaving a company that misleads, or flat out lies about the compensation, and equipment.

Doing your homework and investigating future employers is paramount to success, and prevents wasting your time.

Of course you never really know how they really are, until you try them out.

I like reading these forums and respect other driver's opinions. The majority of them are good common sense advice.

We all have our own circumstances, desires, and needs that drive us on. It's not a "one size fits all" proposition. What's a good deal for you might not be for me, and visa versa.

I make my own decisions, and live with the consequences, good or bad. I don't need "crowd approval" either.

11. Hegemeister

Hegemeister Road Train Member

Jun 16, 2012
    Mechanicsburg, PA
    Good post! It's nice to hear some level headed advice. I really thing this is a good business that can have lots of opportunity if you give it time and effort. Set some goals and be patient.

bigjoel Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.