Time for New Trucks....Seeking Advice

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by 68Goat, Apr 15, 2021.

1. 68Goat

68Goat Light Load Member

Jan 4, 2013
    Very small company here in Georgia. I"m down to just two trucks but I am spending too much on them each month. Of course, that means missed days as well. We have a very light schedule. We only run about 440 miles per day, five days per week. All in the southeast. I have had the accounts for many years. Anyway....I have basically owned Freightshaker and KW in my 13 years in the business but if I'm gonna buy 2 new ones, I'm looking for the best deal on the best truck. I can't be buyiing a POS and I don't want to be working with a snake oil salesman. Any recommendations on a dealer, sales person, small bank for financing, and of course truck model (2021-2022) would be greatly appreciated. I did buy a 2010 International a long time ago...was definitely the worst truck I have ever owned. But maybe the new Intl. trucks are good. Let me hear your thoughts.
    Thanks!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    No such thing as a best truck.

go with what you know. Freightliner or kw, the quality of the drive train is all the same, the cabs are about the same, but it is the dealer service that matters most.

68Goat, Tug Toy and Doealex Thank this.
  4. Midwest Trucker

Midwest Trucker Road Train Member

Aug 31, 2018
    2022 KW T680. Cummins X15 efficiency with an endurant 12 speed auto. 232 wheel base. If you order now you might get them by this fall. Kenworth has a new update debuting in July with LED head lights, new aero package, and digital dash.

I ordered two about 4 weeks ago and they are supposed to be built mid August. We’ll see. I hear Freightliner is backed up to December.

Vampire, 68Goat and Tug Toy Thank this.
  5. Arctic_fox

Arctic_fox Experienced mx13 execrator

Sep 16, 2016
    While this is true it is only so to a point. Keep in mind a better speced more comfortable truck will HELP attract a better class of driver if you expand or need to replace one. Though this should be a tie breaker consideration not a main point. As for engines they all have pros and cons. MX engines are the best mileage wise, but are stupid expensive to fix and require a code clearing tool to stay cost effective. ISX motors are good all arounders and are decent to get fixed but have been hit or miss on whats attached to them (fuel pumps gernadeing blocks anyone?) detroits are middle of the road reliability wise but can be fixed more affordabally then the other two and can be fixed #### near anywhere.

As for a dealer MHC kenworth in KCMO sold me my new truck about a month ago. jeremy luangphithack was my guy and i had a decent experince and he made sure i got the best truck for my buck too.

68Goat Thanks this.
  6. Cat sdp

Cat sdp . .

Apr 8, 2012
    Orion's Belt
    Google Peterbilt Steve.

68Goat Thanks this.
  7. SteveScott

SteveScott Road Train Member

Nov 10, 2015
    That's my wife's pet name for me. :eek:

8. jamespmack

jamespmack Road Train Member

Mar 25, 2014
    OH

She calls you that too?

God prefers Diesels and JoeyJunk Thank this.
  9. 68Goat

68Goat Light Load Member

Jan 4, 2013
    Midwest....Thanks for this info.
    What do you have to say about an automatic?
    You ordered two so you must already have one and like it or you liked it on the test drive.?
    My guys are older and we run 13 speed and have for as long as I can remember. Don't know what they might have to say but it's my decision in the end anyway.
    With the X15 efficiency and 12 sp. auto, what kind of mileage do you think you could eek out of that setup?
    Our mile per gallon is God Awful....always has been. If we can average 6 I am happy.
    Pathetic.....But our front haul is always around 44k.
    If you don't mind me asking....Did you use local bank, pay cash, or dealer finance? I'm wondering if you could get 72 months.
    Thanks Again

Midwest Trucker Thanks this.
  10. 68Goat

68Goat Light Load Member

Jan 4, 2013
    OK...will do. Thanks

11. 68Goat

68Goat Light Load Member

Jan 4, 2013
    Yep....I'm most familiar with Cummins and Detroit. That's good info. on KCMO...Thanks for that.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.