Time managment and the paperless system??

Discussion in 'Werner' started by scurvydog, Jan 21, 2010.

1. scurvydog

scurvydog Light Load Member

Apr 24, 2007
    Northwest Indiana
    I have spoken with Werner on the phone and it seems that out of the few companies that will hire me(no recent experience) Werner is looking to take me on the soonest.

I have read a ton of threads about Werner, some good and some bad. I am not afraid of signing on with them as a company driver if I think I can get the hang of their log system.

My worry is that I will have alot of trouble having to drive "by the book" with the QC tracking my every move. I have based my paper logging and time management system around what i learned from a trainer I had at Prime. We did loose leaf logs there and it really is a whole different world between loose leaf logging and a paperless log system. Most of you know what Im talking about. I became so used to loose leaf that I am worried about being on time every time and running out of hours. I was never trained the proper way of time management by either of the two trainers Ive had in my short trucking career. In fact, my trainer told me that it was impossible to make money and stay truly legal at the same time. Now obviously thats untrue and i knew that, but I stuck with what i had learned.

Werner tells me that I will have to go out with a trainer for some time before they let me go solo because I havent driven since june of 2008. I expected this, but how will I figure out this system when they are starting me off running a team format? It's like I will have to learn a whole different way of truck driving when it comes time to go solo.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. RickG

RickG Road Train Member

Jul 22, 2008
    Owensboro , KY
    So Prime trainers teach trainees how to take advantage of loose leaf logs ? We're getting some great stories posted here about trainers and log books .

4. scurvydog

Apr 24, 2007
    Northwest Indiana
    Are you surprised?

5. Stump

Stump Heavy Load Member

Jan 27, 2009
    Modesto CA
    Running legal is alot easier then running illegal. The Quallcomm is easy, your out of hours you don't drive. Let your Dispatcher know if you can or cannot make the load in the time given to you. I have never had a problem with this system. Don't listen to people that have never logged legal.

A good trainer will teach you how the system works well before your on your own. If you donot think your getting the training you think you need, let the student deptment know and change trainers. Trust me, for all the bad ones there is a few good ones. Iam a trainer and the last 2 guys i have had on my truck were with other trainers for there first half of training and had no idea what to do.

The guy i have now was with another company, who ill keep to myself, and he was out for 2 weeks with the trainer. The trainer only had him drive 4 nights of that time. Everytime the trainer drove all day, then had him drive all night. He just told him, "Follow the Garmin GPS and don't wake me up untill 0500." If you get a "follow the gps" guy, get off the truck. You will learn nothing.

This so called trainer was so bad, when the student asked about the RPM's and road speeds to shift at, the trainer told him he had to find that out himself and went to bed.

Trust me, iam all for Training to be an endorsement on your CDL, it might help weed out some of these clowns.

6. scurvydog

Apr 24, 2007
    Northwest Indiana
    Maybe I will get a decent guy like you. I can hold a steering wheel, shift gears, back into a dock, fill out paper work, read a map, and all that crap. However, I have yet to learn how to be a successful Truck Driver. My first trainer at an undisclosed company set me up in the drivers seat my first night and went straight to bed. He was lucky Im not an idiot and can figure things out quickly! Thanks for the encouragment

7. RickG

RickG Road Train Member

Jul 22, 2008
    Owensboro , KY
    I'm surprised insurance companies aren't looking into this so called "training" . When a trainee runs 5,000 miles a week it's obvious what is going on . Then they say an experienced driver without recent experience needs a refresher course but a recent CDL mill grad can be on his own while the trainer sleeps .

8. scurvydog

Apr 24, 2007
    Northwest Indiana
    Yeah it makes no sense to me either. In my experiences with trainers, I hate the idea of going out with yet another one because I havent learned a dang thing other than how to cheat logs and be a nasty gear grinding slob that knows everything. I drive a truck better than both my trainers ever did and I only have a little over a year under my belt. I learned what NOT to do from those guys. I just dont have the mind to ask for another trainer cuz it just wastes even more time. I'd rather get it over with and get my own truck.

9. scurvydog

Apr 24, 2007
    Northwest Indiana
    I was wondering how you guys time your deliveries and pick ups to work well with the system? I mean if I had a pick up at 7am and I made it into town at 9pm, would it be better to stay at the shipper or at the local TS? Lets just say the TS is 6 miles down the road. If I stay at the TS, the second my truck moves my clock starts ticking. If I stay at the shipper I may have more time on my side. Am I making sense? I just hate sleeping at shippers and deliveries because your break always gets interrupted. With werner's system, they might wake you up and say you gotta move and that totally screws you. How do you play this in real life?

10. RickG

RickG Road Train Member

Jul 22, 2008
    Owensboro , KY
    I never stay at a shipper or receiver . My schedule is never that tight though . I have plenty of time . We have 1 shipper that is bad about getting loads out late . Sorry , the delivery will be late . I'm not making delivery with less than a 10 hour break and still on the 14 hour clock . Run out of hours unloading and have to take a 10 hour break there ? I don't think so .

11. Starchdoggy

Starchdoggy Light Load Member

Aug 6, 2007
    seated
    6 miles down the road can probably be driven without starting your clock. Great for you to be at TS and have food, shower, whatever else you may want. Not so great if you have accident while driving on line 1 and try to explain to DOT or safety. I have driven over 30 miles while on line 1 and not been moved to line 3 or 4 by the system. It all depends on how you log where you are and which macros you use to do so. There are ways around the system if you work to find them. I would not suggest them as they are not really legal.

Some things I have learned by accident and others by just trying and getting lucky. I have also tried things and had to pay the price of longer break due to being picked up by the system. It is trial and error and up to you if you want to try. The company is much quicker to let you go now for minor things as they always have a new hire wanting to fill your seat, and more people in line to be hired.

bigtex07 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.