Time on pretrip?

Discussion in 'Trucking Industry Regulations' started by hazmatwife, Jul 18, 2008.

1. -insert name-

-insert name- ATM squishier

Jul 12, 2012
    SOMEWHERE
    I check my lights, make sure it starts and sounds normal. Test my brakes pulling out, then going down a get on ramp pull the trailer handbrake to test that. Takes about 10 minutes to check the lights and test the brakes. I say get up to 50mph and hold it at 20 PSI for 3 seconds, to be sure its slowing down. Takes 30 PSI to hold the truck at a dead stop on the trailer handbrake.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. bronco1952

bronco1952 Bobtail Member

Aug 8, 2012
    Like the lady that started this thread, I'm inquiring for my DH who drives a fuel truck. Pre and Post trips are federal law and have to be done. The company he works for also requires fueling, including additive at the end of each shift. Obviously this is all logged, but my question is "does the company have to pay him for his time doing this?" He gets paid by the mile, by stop, and for downtime. Thanks for any help.

4. Autocar

Autocar Road Train Member

Apr 28, 2012
    The Hot Rod Shop Oxford, AL
    FMCSA regs do not cover issues of driver wages.

bronco1952 Thanks this.
  5. bronco1952

bronco1952 Bobtail Member

Aug 8, 2012
    Thanks for the help.

6. kikobug

kikobug Bobtail Member

Oct 1, 2014
    You will not find a specific time on a pre trip insp. You might drive a small dump truck and the driver next to you might drive a oversize heavy haul rig so times may be different for each driver. I pulled in to a CA weigh station and asked this question and was told there is no minimum time frame for a pre trip but if i log a 3 minute pre trip for example, dot can time me and ask me to perform a 3 minute pre trip and show them how it was done in 3 minutes. So one day i timed myself and did a full pre trip checked everything tire psi guage in hand and all and dragging my feet i still finished in 9 minutes.

7. GasHauler

GasHauler Master FMCSA Interpreter

Oct 23, 2005
    Vegas/Jersey
    You're out of your mind, right?

8. Yadnom

Yadnom Bobtail Member

Jan 5, 2017
    There are published material on what's covered in a proper pretrip,,,find them and actually time how long it takes,,,one cannot do a proper pretrip in 15 mins,,,,I'll make a bet on it,,,,yes I am a driver

9. not4hire

not4hire Road Train Member

May 16, 2012
    Calgary
    I'll take that bet...

Here is what is published regarding pre-trip:

§396.13 Driver inspection.
    Before driving a motor vehicle, the driver shall:

(a) Be satisfied that the motor vehicle is in safe operating condition;

(b) Review the last driver vehicle inspection report; and

(c) Sign the report, only if defects or deficiencies were noted by the driver who prepared the report, to acknowledge that the driver has reviewed it and that there is a certification that the required repairs have been performed. The signature requirement does not apply to listed defects on a towed unit which is no longer part of the vehicle combination.

http://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/retrieveECFR?gp=1&ty=HTML&h=L&mc=true&=PART&n=pt49.5.396#se49.5.396_113
    So, how long does it take to find yourself and say, "Self, are you satisfied the motor vehicle is in safe operating condition?" Then review the last DVIR (assuming there is one; which could be days, weeks, or even months old)? Now, I am not saying that is what I would do, or teach, or agree is proper, but the reality is that if a driver can properly articulate that they were satisfied, then that's what the regulation says.

As a minimum; checking engine fluids, belts and accessories, looking for leaks, check steering column, checking that tires have air, wheels aren't cracked, lug nuts haven't come loose, trailer hubs have oil (depending on type), air bags are aired up, no air leaks, no broken wires, hoses or frame members, lights work, load is secure, mirrors and windows are good, check connections, etc., takes about 5-7 minutes... especially if the driver has had the same truck for some length of time and does a thorough post-trip daily.

And, no, an enforcement officer cannot make you re-do your pre-trip in the time you logged it as some other posts suggest.

Orangees, SingingWolf and bottomdumpin Thank this.
  10. truckersjustice

truckersjustice Light Load Member

Sep 1, 2011
    Burnsville, MN
    No. 392.7 merely says that you must assure yourself that certain parts and accessories (identified in the regulation) are in good working order. 396.13 says that "before driving" you must ensure that the motor vehicles (trailers included) are in safe operating condition. No time in particular is required by the regulations.

Paul Taylor
    Attorney
    www.truckersjusticecenter.com

11. Tao4mind123

Tao4mind123 Light Load Member

May 6, 2017
    The 15 minute pre-trip is the unwritten law by corporations and anything over 15 minutes is grounds for immediate calls from fleet management. As experienced drivers know these pre-trip inspections can take up to an hour. Most use off duty status to pre-trip correctly and log 15 minutes for paperwork required in doing pre-trips. Obviously there is "no way" to complete a good pre-trip in 15 minutes. If you crash when injury is involved the attorney will use pre-trip negligence against the driver. Only defense is 15 minute pre-trip is the unwritten law of corporate if you want to keep your job?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.