Time on pretrip?

Discussion in 'Trucking Industry Regulations' started by hazmatwife, Jul 18, 2008.

1. GasHauler

GasHauler Master FMCSA Interpreter

Oct 23, 2005
    Vegas/Jersey
    No, it's if you're satified all that is listed is working properly.

CA_Medicine_Woman Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. MNoutkast

MNoutkast Medium Load Member

Feb 24, 2012
    Elk River, MN
    Very true technically....what I said would apply to the post-trip. The pre-trip is just a formality to make sure repairs were made and that you are satisfied with the safety of the vehicle.

LogsRus and GasHauler Thank this.
  4. LogsRus

LogsRus Log it Legal

Nov 23, 2006
    Indianapolis, Indiana

You said it perfectly, that's why the driver is to log how long it takes THEM to do a pre-trip or post-trip! It's gotta take longer than 1 minute though, if on e-logs and e-logs is recording by the minute :biggrin_25525:

DOT can say, let me see you do it in the amount of time you logged it..
    Regardless if you "flag" it or "log it on-duty" you must notate the amount of time it took you truckers :).

Don't over analyze anything, use common sense.. Common sense tells me, I know you can't do it in less than 1 minute (e-logs) and probably not in less than 15 minutes (paper logs).. Log how long it takes YOU!!!!!!!! Stop trying to log what you "think" will satisfy DOT and your life will be much easier in the log world :)

Sorry, most of that was towards "all" drivers, not just you :biggrin_2551:

5. LogsRus

LogsRus Log it Legal

Nov 23, 2006
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Clarify, that's the pre-trip.. You dont inspected it on your post-trip..therfore, what could go wrong while you was parked needs to be inspected, keeping open mind.. I could be laying under your tractor passed out!!!!!!!! I could have tampered with your equipment...

From my understanding is the post-trip you must inspect your equipment (truck/trailer, if one attached) at the completion of each day's work. It must be done in writting (can be computerized) and you must notate any defects, if defects noted you must get them repaired prior to driving that equipment again and on your following pre-trip you must sign off that noted repairs was completed and everything is fine with your equipment.
    The post-trip is the one you should be inspecting very well, so repairs can get started asap, when possible.

6. LogsRus

LogsRus Log it Legal

Nov 23, 2006
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    You should still make sure nothing happened to your equipment in the mean time. You could of ticked me off by looking at me wrong and I did something to your truck or trailer:biggrin_2551: Now I would never do that but have you met some of these people in today's world:biggrin_25525:
    Oh, make sure I am not laying under your truck/trailer cause I may have been to tired to make it to my truck :yes2557:

7. GasHauler

GasHauler Master FMCSA Interpreter

Oct 23, 2005
    Vegas/Jersey
    The pre-trip is what we started with here. Somehow the post inspection got thrown in there. We don't sign any report on the pre-trip since a pre-trip report is not required. We sign off any repairs and all is good on the previous post inspection. You can go ahead with some defects ,it just depends on what they are.

Our per-trip is just about the same as the post trip. That's just the way we like it since we're hauling gasoline. It takes us about 30 minutes since we have a truck and trailer. Any one that takes less than 15 minutes is taking a gamble in my book.

Crusty and LogsRus Thank this.
  8. Crusty

Crusty <b>Just Plain Crusty</b>

May 29, 2010
    Canton, GA
    Well the newer top level, shiny, better than ever, double throw down, level 7 pretrip takes me 24 minutes. Now granted, I'm old and slow. But if you really do it right; 15 minutes is a strech.
    Lets say your company requires one of these fancy pretrips. Never mind the DOT. Anyway; you log 15 min. for it. Ok, you mosey down the highway. All is good until something breaks. This something is an item is something you should have seen on the inspection/pre-trip. It might get embarassing when your safety guy looks on the log and sees you only devoted 15 min to checking out a 200,000 dolor piece of junk. It's also gonna put a wad in your shorts when you get a gander at your CSA score.
    Look man, I agree with those that think it's more like a 25K mile inspection than the pre-trip I used to do. But things have changed. It is what it is. Roll with it and cover your cheeks. (wink).:biggrin_2554:

9. MNoutkast

Feb 24, 2012
    Elk River, MN
    When I took my CDL the pretrip portion took about 20 mins, that is everything to the book on one side. That is also as a rookie and having to explain every little detail about what I am checking on a light to an examiner, that takes time, on a real inspection a glance at a light is all it takes.

I just don't see what you guys are checking in your half hour inspections. It is all visual except steering and brake free play. And checking 10 slacks adjusters takes about 2 seconds each.

Also a pre-trip doesn't guarantee that a brake chamber or air line or tire will not fail two miles down the road. I will leave the full annual through inspection to the mechanics. To each is there own I guess, definitely nothing wrong with taking as much time as you want to do it....and I am sure if I had to work on my truck and pay for the repairs I would do more than is required.

10. lonewolf4ad

lonewolf4ad Road Train Member

Nov 4, 2008
    Displaced to Colorado
    MN you're counting on everything being perfect when you have a 15 minute pretrip. That means no air leaks, no lights messed up, no low air pressure in tires. doing small maintenance can eat up a little more time than you think of, and with all things mechanical you will see little things you can fix. I spend a little extra time usually 20 minutes on a pretrip, because anything I catch there can save me time I might be broke down on the road.

11. MNoutkast

Feb 24, 2012
    Elk River, MN
    Very true. Although I usually complete my entire pre-trip before making any repairs. Mostly because I am an hourly employee of a company that micro manages very effectively.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.