Time to buy a new semitruck, but not sure what brand

Discussion in 'Flatbed Trucking Forum' started by Flatbed1991, Nov 28, 2018.

1. Rubber duck kw

Rubber duck kw Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2017
    I'm well aware nobody will change his mind, I like to see his reasoning though, makes for good entertainment.

Zeviander and Humblepie Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Misesian

Misesian Road Train Member

May 21, 2014
    Nothwest Arkansas
    It’s not playing Russian roulette if you have clearly defined rules and flags to watch for. That’s what oil analysis is for. I’ve said several times already how I determine when to change the oil. You’d have to somehow prove to me that oil samples are inaccurate and do not provide valuable information. Secondly, you’d have to show me something, that in the face of an oil sample says everything is good, that takes precedent over what the data shows. I’m all about doing things the best way but, I need data, numbers, or studies to back it up, not just feelings. I push everything to the limit to save money and, in the process, saving maintenance cost. From the way my truck and trailer are spec’d to what I’m trying to do with oil. I understand why there is so much backlash to this idea but it’s not harming anything. I pay extra to know my TBN and TAN. As long as you’re changing your oil by the time TAN exceeds TBN by a point or two, among other things, you aren’t harming anything.
    Until I get this system on here, I have no idea if I’ll be able to extend it at all. Even if I can’t, at least I’m getting really clean oil into the motor.
    As far as, “if this is so good why don’t they put it on at factory?” comment, Volvo and Mack do. Their 3 filter oil system incorporates a 5 micron bypass oil filter. Why more OEMs don’t, I don’t know. It has been shown in numerous studies from cars, to semis, to oil and gas, and even military how effective these systems are at extending drains and improving engine life.

daf105paccar Thanks this.
  4. Rubber duck kw

Dec 9, 2017
    Why would you push the limits on what could easily be a 40k dollar bill, especially for maybe 2k a year, it makes no sense to me and never will. You're taking the cheapest part of owning truck and trying to make it cheaper, it's just stupid.

stwik, PoleCrusher, Zeviander and 2 others Thank this.
  5. daf105paccar

daf105paccar Road Train Member

Apr 15, 2012
    @Rubber duck kw
    By your logic we should replace tires when they are half worn.
    The more a tire wears down,the more it is at risk off picking up a nail or a screw.
    So why risk it?

6. Rubber duck kw

Dec 9, 2017
    You want to talk about comparing apples and horse ####.

7. johndeere4020

johndeere4020 Road Train Member

Jan 1, 2010
    Ohio
    Man that’s got to be one of the most unrelated posts I’ve ever read.

8. Misesian

Misesian Road Train Member

May 21, 2014
    Nothwest Arkansas
    Not a fan of Air Tabs, another thing KR over-hypes that don’t agree with. I do run singles in my truck and trailer and have for 3 years now with zero issues, I don’t run recap singles though. It’s another of those situational things, I wouldn’t put singles on a logging truck, as an example. Typical highway hauling, OTR stuff though, they’re hard to beat. They’re easy to maintain, save weight, and save fuel. As long as you check the air pressure and don’t just kick them every once in awhile, they last a long time.

9. daf105paccar

daf105paccar Road Train Member

Apr 15, 2012
    No.
    Same principal.
    Replacing something before it is needed.

Every deciscion we make in regards our trucks should be weighed risks vs benefits.

You feel that replacing half use oil makes sence because you think you will profit from that.
    Fine........your $$$$ ................your choice.

10. Rubber duck kw

Dec 9, 2017
    You're right, every decision you make should be weighed risks vs. benefits, and I see very little benefits running your oil that long compared to the risks. Running your oil that long is like running your tires till the cords are showing, yes I know somebody who runs his #### that way. I spent 10 grand on tires this year alone, I don't buy retreads and I don't buy cheap garbage jokahamas, and the last 2 sets of drives I took off had about 1/4 tread left, you take them to the local farm sale and get 150 apiece out of them yet, or save them to run as tag axles tires.

snowman_w900 and Humblepie Thank this.
  11. Zeviander

Zeviander Road Train Member

Jan 23, 2015
    Winnipeg, MB, CA
    Considering some used emissions trucks from the 2012-2015 era need DPF/SCR service every 250k-350k miles, and a pre-emissions CAT or ELD exempt Detroit or Cummins can run 1 million+ without more than oil changes before an overhaul, I'd say those $2500 per year savings aren't worth it.

Granted, those new X15 Performance motors are apparently on track, statistically, to be as good as the N14 in terms of costs per mile for maintenance, but you've still got to think about the extra you are spending on DPF/SCR service after whatever window they'll start going bad in.

And if I'm going to buy a truck to squeeze every penny out of a load that I can, I can tell you I wouldn't drop $150,000 on a brand new truck, but buy that 1999 Freightliner Columbia with a C13 CAT for $12,500 and run it till the wheels fall off paying for nothing beyond fuel and a few other maintenance things that might come up.

It doesn't matter what mpg I get, if I'm getting 3 mpg versus Misesian's 8.9, I'm still making more money over the course of the year than him. Especially since I won't be pulling a box for $1.10 (or whatever) per mile.

stwik and stayinback Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.