Time to move on...

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by JReding, Feb 16, 2019.

1. JReding

JReding Road Train Member

Sep 8, 2014
    Puyallup, WA
    Wilson Logistics has been very good to me, and I am grateful for the experience of living on the road, even though it’s only a week at a time. But call me a wuss if you will, being out there has taken a huge toll on my health, and with all the stress I’ve been through in the last year, it’s just snowballed.

So I’m saying thanks and goodbye to Wilson and going back to local work. In two weeks I’ll be heading down to Portland, Oregon for orientation with DSV. I’ll be on a Monday to Friday, home nightly, weekends off, hourly pay gig again. And I’ll be glad to be doing it, even with the traffic (I-5 corridor between Seattle and Eugene).

I have a new appreciation and respect for you folks that live on the road. Continuing on that road would probably eventually kill me.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. THE ROOKIE

THE ROOKIE Light Load Member

Nov 2, 2009
    Buena Vista, GA
    You are not a wuss. It's very wise to listen to your body and make an informed decision. Blessings to you in your new endeavor.

4. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    We’re all gonna die sometime and given where this nation and truckload transportation industry is headed, sooner may be better than later.

Did I say that out loud?

Last edited: Feb 16, 2019
  5. THE ROOKIE

THE ROOKIE Light Load Member

Nov 2, 2009
    Buena Vista, GA
    It really saddens me but i agree with you about the country's direction.

Mike2633 Thanks this.
  6. buddyd157

buddyd157 Road Train Member

May 25, 2017
    under a shade tree
    i saw in my earlier years, as i started ot, that long haul (what it was called back then) was not for me as well.

a host of things were the direct cause of me getting out of that segment.

i found overnighters, or nightly runs to be far more advantageous to my health as well as my overall home situational thing.

good for you.

7. ibcalm19

ibcalm19 Road Train Member

Nov 30, 2015
    Pennsylvania
    I second that I found a dedicated flatbed 30 minutes from the house. You're right you have to be concerned about your wellbeing. All the best to you.

8. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Smart decision on your part. We're all different in some respects and should do what's in our own particular best interest and our long term welfare.

PostmanMJC, Coover, Tug Toy and 2 others Thank this.
  9. Derailed

Derailed Road Train Member

Dec 10, 2008
    Upstate NY
    Not a wuss at all. Life is far to short for OTR in my opinion and some days trucking in general unless your one of these part time guys. I do just fine with my truck running local.

Dan.S, TheyCallMeDave and JReding Thank this.
  10. Accidental Trucker

Accidental Trucker Road Train Member

Jun 4, 2015
    Congratulations on a wise choice. As they say, we work to live, not the other way around.

JReding Thanks this.
  11. Scooter Jones

Scooter Jones Road Train Member

Apr 19, 2011
    FWIW, DSV has lost a LOT of work to Market Express.

Former owner of Market Transport who sold to a company (UTI) who then sold to DSV, decided to come out of retirement a couple years back and start Market Express.

Because he knows a lot of those shippers that he previously serviced, he's getting a lot of them back.

Friend of mine just quit DSV a couple months back. He said the company was going to heck in a hand basket.

Take it with a grain of salt...

Last edited: Feb 16, 2019
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.