Time to stop cutting bait and go fishing

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Working Class Patriot, Feb 6, 2008.

1. Brickman

Brickman Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Sep 17, 2006
    WY

Go with a mid roof. More interior room, and not that much loss of mpg. My former T6 had a wind scoop on a mid roof. When I took that off I gained .5 mpg. Some flat loads will be high, some won't.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Working Class Patriot

Working Class Patriot Road Train Member

Jan 17, 2008
    Wherever and Whenever...

Thanks Brickman. I think I've found a couple of 387's that meet that description. I'm going to Peterbilt today just to checkout the rigs. They don't have what I want over there power or tranny wise. But I want to see the rigs nonetheless.

4. Sandlapper

Sandlapper Light Load Member

Feb 6, 2008
    Simpsonville, SC
    A large trucking company is set up to run at a loss during slow months such as Jan and Feb. They can make up for the loss throughout the rest of the year. If you are a company driver you will probably drive less miles in Jan and Feb but you also dont have to make a payment on a $125k truck and $40k trailer. A lot less headache. You might be special, I dont know. My truck has been parked for the last 2 weeks and wont move until March because I refuse to haul cheap freight. I wish you good luck if you go for it.

5. Working Class Patriot

Working Class Patriot Road Train Member

Jan 17, 2008
    Wherever and Whenever...

I won't be ready to go late March or April(sooner I hope) anyways. I still have to sell my Dumps and trailer. I figured I wouldn't put all the money down on the new rig. Use some for padding and of course permits, insurance, fuel, and living expenses. When I started out with my first dump I had over $10k in the bank and yeah I'm glad I did that, it took 60 days to get that first check.

6. Sandlapper

Sandlapper Light Load Member

Feb 6, 2008
    Simpsonville, SC
    I feel you bro. I ran through 10 grand really quick when I got started out. I bit the bullet and refused to factor any of the loads. I work too hard for this money to hand over 5% for quickpay. It sucked watching my bank balance drop to nearly zero but in the long run it payed off.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.