Tinting on truck windows is legal

Discussion in 'Trucking Industry Regulations' started by Bryan515, Jun 1, 2011.

1. brsims

brsims Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2009
    Meadville, PA
    I was always under the impression that the windows directly in front of, to the left of, and to the right of the driver could not be tinted. Maybe that's just PA, though. I do know that my Jimmy has a fairly heavy tint to all the rear windows, and it's a stone bear to see out the back after dark. Which can make backing a real trip, let me tell you!​

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. ronin

ronin Road Train Member

Jul 22, 2008
    San Antonio, Texas
    Wasn't talking about the regulation, but the beginning of the need to ban tinting on CMVs.

4. Svoray

Svoray Medium Load Member

Feb 3, 2011
    Texas
    Sorry about that, I'm not talking solely about commercial vehicles. My state law states a certain amount of tint is legal on a personal vehicle. Law enforcement on the other hand is excempt from this law and allowed to ticket you for over the limit tint despite running the same tint or darker in most cases.

It's really not matter of the "Have nots" with me. I use tint in my personal vehicles and I'm fine with the legal limits. I just think it's hypocrocy for one thing and a huge safety issue. I bought a used vehicle once that came with 5% limo tint. My plans was to replace it with 30% when I got the chance. Well I had the afternoon shift and often had to drive home at night. It was crazy, I actually had to roll down my windows every time I came to an intersection to make sure I wasn't going to run over some bicyclist/walker etc. If it was that bad for me, I can only imagine what it's like for an emergency vehicle racing to help someone in the middle of the night...I mean dark tint was banned for a reason right?

5. Big John

Big John Road Train Member

Oct 7, 2006
    Oklahoma
    It all started one night at a poker game.

6. Big John

Big John Road Train Member

Oct 7, 2006
    Oklahoma
    Well as long as they don't ban tint on my prescription glasses.

ronin Thanks this.
  7. ronin

ronin Road Train Member

Jul 22, 2008
    San Antonio, Texas
    No tinted glasses when you're in formation.

8. Tazz

Tazz Road Train Member

Oct 25, 2009
    Lynchburg,Tn

So you tint your windshield as well? Be kind of silly to get a prescription
    :biggrin_25526: for light sensitivity and leave the biggest piece of glass untouched.

Big John Thanks this.
  9. BigBadBill

BigBadBill Bullishly Optimistic

Oct 2, 2010
    Chattanooga, TN
    As an ex-CHP officer, and at the time CA did not allow tinting on personal vehicals as well, I saw the safety issue as mine. I can't see in your car on a stop and you are all going to have your hands out the window while one at a time you get out of the car on the passenger side and lay face down on the ground. And however long it takes my backup to arrive, you will lay on the ground until I feel it is safe to approach the car while you are covered.

And I will tell you more often than not the car had something illegal in it.

I guess you could say I was moving toward tint profilling.

10. Svoray

Svoray Medium Load Member

Feb 3, 2011
    Texas
    I actually knew a guy who put 5% limio tint all the way around...including the windshield. I'm not sure if he got tired of it or ticketed, but it was off the following weekend.

11. BigBadBill

BigBadBill Bullishly Optimistic

Oct 2, 2010
    Chattanooga, TN
    It wasn't off. He couldn't see and had to smash the window out.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.