Tipping mechanic

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Mudflaps, Dec 25, 2016.

1. pattyj

pattyj Road Train Member

Jul 19, 2008
    Sioux City,ia
    I don't tip either and why I don't eat in restraurants.Everything is so expensive as it is and here they are begging for more money.Mechanics,I don't care how good they are they still rip the ppl off by taking longer then they should delibrately because you're paying $75.00 or more an hr just in labor and twice as much on the weekend.

201 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. 123456

123456 Road Train Member

Oct 22, 2010
    To each their own.

Mechanics, no.

Loading dock, Yes ..
    more times than I care to count.

And it always came back to me in service.

D.Tibbitt Thanks this.
  4. Cat sdp

Cat sdp . .

Apr 8, 2012
    Orion's Belt
    Cash tips no....

But I get all my work done at one shop. I walk out on the floor anytime I want and it's a very old school shop .. I do bring coffee/ donuts and even pizza on special occasions.

Cost of 4 large pizzas $45 payback for super service and getting in the door immediately priceless ...

Vampire, JPenn, driverdriver and 3 others Thank this.
  5. not4hire

not4hire Road Train Member

May 16, 2012
    Calgary
    Tip?

I have to borrow money from my mechanic because I already gave him all I had.

yuban, Big Don, Lepton1 and 2 others Thank this.
  6. craig_sez

craig_sez Road Train Member

Sep 5, 2013
    novascotia,Canada
    Tip or not to tip...Building a relationship with a mechanic or what ever is important..It saves you $ in the long run and benifits all involved.

Vampire, sawmill and Ruthless Thank this.
  7. craig_sez

craig_sez Road Train Member

Sep 5, 2013
    novascotia,Canada
    Every so often i have picked up coffee and donuts for all in the company(small company)and i visit with all the departments for a few minutes..

AModelCat Thanks this.
  8. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    Its a thankless job 90% of the time but its always nice to get an unexpected coffee break :)

G13Tomcat Thanks this.
  9. samcperez

samcperez Light Load Member

Nov 1, 2016
    I am an owner operator Road Service Mechanic out here in California.I do fleet work as well as road service.I would say I probably get tipped 1 time every month and usually its 20 bucks.I have been tipped by owner operators as well as company drivers.During the hot months I would say 1 out of 3 drivers offers me a cold water or soda while Im working on their truck or trailer.Although I appreciate it is obviously not expected or customary in this business.The only thing i expect from a driver is a clear complaint and or pictures of the problem so I can show up with the right parts and get him fixed quickly.I get plenty of work and dont need to drag out any jobs or overcharge.I charge an 80 dollar call out fee and 95 bucks an hour for mechanic work and 80 dollar call out fee and 40 bucks per tire for tire work.90 percent of all jobs are less then 2 hours so $270 or less not including parts.I spent 75 grand on a service truck and have another 100k of parts and equipment on board and feel I earn every penny I make.I never go to a job I dont think I can fix and either recommend a tow truck or another service.I am upfront with costs before I go and people seem to appreciate it.I very rarely get grumpy ######## who complain and usually its someone New to the business.All of the people trucking for a while have experienced 4 hour waits and 1000 dollar tire jobs so they are usually cool with me

larry2903, Ruthless, sawmill and 9 others Thank this.
  10. not4hire

not4hire Road Train Member

May 16, 2012
    Calgary
    Where have you been all my life? ;)

Lepton1 Thanks this.
  11. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    Bet you stay pretty busy too. I've moved over to heavy equipment repair from trucks. 95% of the customers are very good to deal with. It sucks being the face of the company though sometimes. Especially when the shop guys #### up and I have to go out and fix their screw ups (spent 8 hours in a cold laydown fixing a laundry list of items the shop guys either missed or messed up trying to fix the day before). Yeah there are some nice perks that come along with the job though too. I once had to work Christmas eve on a customer's site. Customer brought out turkey dinners from the camp for all of us on the job. Pretty decent of them to do that.

Ruthless, samcperez and Lepton1 Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.