Tipping on the road.

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Midnightrider909, Apr 13, 2018.

1. Midnightrider909

Midnightrider909 Road Train Member

Oct 26, 2016
    I’m just wondering what y’all tip the blue beacon guys and the people that clean out the showers at the truck stops. Up until recently I was a company driver and just gave the blue beacon guys a couple dollars and one dollar for the shower chick. Now I feel like I need to up my game because my wife and I recently became O/Os and are making tons more money than we used to. I just gave the blue beacon guys a fiver yesterday and the truck stop shower chick got a 100% raise to $2. Am I being too cheap? Maybe the shower chick deserves five bucks. I always tip the waitresses 20% and I think that’s plenty.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Western flyer

Western flyer Road Train Member

Mar 13, 2014
    I could care less about tipping blue beacon.
    How do you choose which one to tip.

I do tip the shower person a buck every now and
    Then when it's clean and they leave a note of
    Who cleaned it with a piece of candy or even
    A bottle of water.

4. Atlanta trucker

Atlanta trucker Road Train Member

Jan 25, 2017
    I allways tip $2 for the shower. I tip minimum 20% for waitstaff ,,, never less that a $5 or a $10 usually. Yes i have been tiping $10 for a $15.00 meal at dennys. Yes its a lot but i have privledge and enjoy useing it. Im an American so money flows like water for us. Have a freind and past business partner from Vietnam , born and raised in Vietnam and he told me the best business Vietnam ever had was the business of America.

Do you think there is any tipping going on in Veneasuala right now ? Why or why not ?

Lite bug and Midnightrider909 Thank this.
  5. driverdriver

driverdriver Road Train Member

May 30, 2011
    I just watched the shower cleaner here at a pilot spray his cleaner around the room then picked up the used towel off the floor and wipe everything down.
    Tip? Lol, not.
    I've seen this at every ts.

Blue beacon , really?
    They always miss something.
    Even if they didn't , nope.
    Waiters and waitresses yes!!!!!

6. Tug Toy

Tug Toy Road Train Member

Jul 4, 2015
    Corn field
    Used to be in the old days you tipped people for going above and beyond. Service and cleanliness are piss pot everywhere I go anymore. I tip very little. Wait staff gets a buck for every time they visit the table. Usually $5 or under. If my drink goes dry right back to $0. If they want me to order and pay with that electronic thing on the table I just leave.

If the cleanliness and service are anything above mediocre I’ll tip big but doesn’t happen much anymore.

If I have a special request at the truck wash and they do it without an upcharge I’ll tip.

I always have a tip in my pocket in case I see lightning strike.

To just expect a %20 tip on a meal for less than average service is a rip-off.

7. thelushlarry

thelushlarry Road Train Member

Jan 9, 2012
    glasgow ky
    Streakin beacon should be tipping you!

8. austinmike

austinmike Road Train Member

Jul 11, 2011
    Missouri
  9. Tug Toy

Tug Toy Road Train Member

Jul 4, 2015
    Corn field
    Another thing.... just because you make more money doesn’t mean everyone around you deserves more of it. Thats a good way to be broke.

Again if they do something above average then by all means tip away.

10. TallJoe

TallJoe Road Train Member

Apr 12, 2016
    Chicagoland
    Blue Beacon...no. Am I supposed to? Tips are for waitresses and bellboys, otherwise everyone can think of being entitled to tips....including me.
    When a shower is clean I leave a dollar or two, not always, depends on my mood.

tinytim and Western flyer Thank this.
  11. Rubber duck kw

Rubber duck kw Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2017
    You're supposed to tip people for going out of their way to make your day not anything and everything I've never been tipped for doing my job. Just me and maybe I'm an ahole but just the way I look at it.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.