Tipping Porter's at truck stops

Discussion in 'Questions To Truckers From The General Public' started by Tbmcnee, Dec 11, 2019.

1. Tbmcnee

Tbmcnee Bobtail Member

Dec 11, 2019
    Why do truckers not tip Porter's at truck stops? I understand that a lot don't bring in much money or they don't carry cash. I have been a porter for a year and maybe bring home $50 in a month in tips. I do at least 50 showers a day. What pisses me off is i left work today and guy had gone into one of the showers before I left and my co-worker told me that he left $2 on counter and when he found out my co-worker was cleaning the shower he put the $2 away and handed my co-worker a $20. Only difference between me and my co-worker is I am a female and he is a male. He treats the drivers the same way I treat them & is as detailed as I am in cleaning showers. What is up with that? Is it because it is expected out of a female and not a male.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Mattmanstroked

Mattmanstroked Light Load Member

Nov 24, 2019
    Until this post I have never given a thought to a tip.

Always figured truck stop was paying a person to clean the showers as their assigned job??

reefertank, Badmon, Coffey and 5 others Thank this.
  4. homeskillet

homeskillet Road Train Member

Jun 1, 2013
    Dayton, OH
    I have never tipped a truckstop porter, nor would I ever.

It's the job you're being paid to do. Sorry.

I don't tip the tire guy, either....

dunchues, Coffey, D.Tibbitt and 3 others Thank this.
  5. Tbmcnee

Tbmcnee Bobtail Member

Dec 11, 2019
    Truck stops also pay waitresses to do their job. It might not be as much but they do get paid. It isn't expected to get tips but it is nice to feel appreciated sometimes. I know I work hard because I appreciate what the truckers do for us! Some areas like mine don't pay Porters like they do in other areas.

Dino soar and x1Heavy Thank this.
  6. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    Why don't you tip a driver when he cleans a table? Heck, unlike you thats not his job

As for the waitress, well the US is a tipping society for food service. They are paid much less knowing they will get tips.

70’Nova Thanks this.
  7. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    My spouse has certain requirements (Special needs a poor word choice) When we run into a staffed truckstop that has a staff worker who shows making our reservation... that worker is about to see the rain.

8. homeskillet

homeskillet Road Train Member

Jun 1, 2013
    Dayton, OH
    True.

However, waitresses can LEGALLY be paid a buck or two below minimum wage. Their tips are supposed to make up the difference. The sweeter they are, the harder they hustle, the more they make.

Used to be the IRS depended on foodservice workers to report their own tips. Now the IRS calculates how much they SHOULD HAVE EARNED based on the restaurant's annual sales. From what I heard, they are then taxed accordingly.

You make at least minimum wage as a porter. You are paid that wage in exchange for you doing your job correctly.

Sorry, that's all ya get.

No one tips me.

Of course, my boss gives me a turkey at Thanksgiving, so there is that.

I'm not trying to bust yer chops, but I'm an old guy, and I learned as a teenager, that you only earn what your employer thinks you're worth. If it's not enough, you gotta make changes.

dunchues, Corn-Fed, TankerP and 2 others Thank this.
  9. Tbmcnee

Tbmcnee Bobtail Member

Dec 11, 2019
    I got my answer from everyone. I was asking because I heard that tips weren't bad when I took the job & wanted to hear a truckers point of view. Just wondering if the job is worth it when truckers try to feel you up but they don't appreciate you cleaning their #### and ### all over the bathroom. No the pay isn't worth that.

Badmon and Numb Thank this.
  10. Numb

Numb Crusty Curmudgeon

Jan 30, 2012
    Charlotte, N.Carolina
    if the shower is clean and not a half a##ed job I would throw a buck on the counter.

it's a thankless job, cleaning up after disgusting drivers and I appreciate the effort.

TokyoJoe, Badmon, LoSt_AgAiN and 9 others Thank this.
  11. Tbmcnee

Tbmcnee Bobtail Member

Dec 11, 2019
    Thank you! I try my hardest to make it nice for the drivers because they have a hard job and they don't get appreciated enough for it. Some can be disgusting & you won't believe what surprises they leave for me. SMH

bigguns, D.Tibbitt, JonJon78 and 3 others Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.