Tipping Porter's at truck stops

Discussion in 'Questions To Truckers From The General Public' started by Tbmcnee, Dec 11, 2019.

1. VIDEODROME

VIDEODROME Road Train Member

Jun 7, 2007
    angola, in
    In many truck stops I go to I sometimes see different employees doing different things or multi-tasking between the showers and cashier or running the cart outside picking up trash. It often seems like a situation where people are changing duties and if I leave a couple bucks, someone could snag it who had nothing to do with cleaning the shower I just used.

Otherwise, many people do get into trucking to escape crap jobs and after trucking school are not necessarily in great financial shape. I myself and paying off college student loans while I do this crazy job.

I guess one more thought on this is we don't always carry a lot of cash or the little we do, we don't want to leave it for tips. We also often get the showers from points on our reward cards. It would be nice if we could TIP some of the value of extra points to the shower attendant as an option that is also convenient to drivers.

Badmon and Love7 Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. The real ROADRUNNER

The real ROADRUNNER Bobtail Member

Dec 14, 2019
    I generally leave $5 on the counter everywhere I take a shower unless I don't have any cash. It is pretty messed up on the tip switch though. Some people are like that simply because they think a womans place is cleaning or in the kitchen.

Love7 Thanks this.
  4. Love7

Love7 Light Load Member

Oct 21, 2018
    Wich x ran off

5. silverspur

silverspur Road Train Member

Sep 26, 2012
    I leave a dollar, more at the holidays. It might be the gas money that gets them home. It's my way of telling someone I appreciate them and that they have value to me.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2019
    Love7 and LoSt_AgAiN Thank this.
  6. Odin's Rabid Dog

Odin's Rabid Dog Heavy Load Member

May 6, 2018
    NW MT
    Ironically, I have startd leaving a buck or 2 since reading this thread.

silverspur, Love7, MIT and 2 others Thank this.
  7. JonJon78

JonJon78 Road Train Member

Jul 1, 2018
    You guys that are tipping $5 everytime you take a shower, how many showers do you take a week 1 or 2? Certainly not tipping $5 everyday. LOL

8. silverspur

Sep 26, 2012
    People with humble jobs deserve respect because they often go on to bigger and better things.

The billionaire that created Rock Star energy drinks said that when he worked at Burger King as a teen a customer once tipped him a dollar and it meant a lot to him.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2019
    Love7 and Odin's Rabid Dog Thank this.
  9. justcarhaulin

justcarhaulin Light Load Member

Jul 20, 2015
    There are only two times I leave a tip. I don't fuel at the big chain truck stops which means I usually pay for my own showers. Occasionally a cashier will give me a free shower. When this happens then I leave a tip. I get tips when I deliver cars to private owners. For example if a customer tips me $50 bucks then I will use that to pay for a showers and leave a few in the tip jar. I don't mind tipping coz I get tips too. It's just my philosophy. $14 for a shower is ridiculous.

Odin's Rabid Dog Thanks this.
  10. silverspur

Sep 26, 2012
  11. JonJon78

JonJon78 Road Train Member

Jul 1, 2018
    LOL... Ya... Just for the picture, then it went back in your pocket.

48Packard and Mattmanstroked Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.