Tips and Tricks of flatbedding

Discussion in 'Flatbed Trucking Forum' started by Flightline, Feb 23, 2014.

1. MJ1657

MJ1657 Road Train Member

Jan 28, 2012
    Isanti, MN
    I bought one of those extendable broom poles. Works great to move a strap over on a high load. I also used it with the broom on the end to get snow off the top of a load of pipe so I could get my straps tight without snow under them. Lots of ways it can be used to keep you from climbing up on loads.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Naptown

Naptown Road Train Member

Oct 18, 2009
    Indiana
    I keep some spring clamps in the truck for when I'm folding tarps in the wind. I add them where necessary as I make my folds, then take them off as I roll the tarp. It sure beats getting everything lined up nice and neat only to have a gust blow it open again. It doesn't work as well in really strong winds, but it has saved me a lot of aggravation over the long run. I haven't tried them on larger tarps, but they work on my steel tarps just fine.

I picked mine up cheap from Harbor Freight, but they weren't exactly what I wanted for woodworking. I was going to toss them until I had that light bulb moment.

WVOIFVET, Awol, piston188 and 33 others Thank this.
  4. MJ1657

MJ1657 Road Train Member

Jan 28, 2012
    Isanti, MN
    That is a great idea. I'm going to throw some in my side box.

SAR Thanks this.
  5. dirtyrabbit

dirtyrabbit Medium Load Member

Jun 19, 2011
    KS
    a small flat tarp or specialized smoke tarp is handy to have even if you have a grass burner. A couple of the foam places will want a tarp especially when it is a long haul. I have an old tarp cut down for this, and then Hunter Panels will have us put a regular tarp on the front. Usually they pay decent for these runs so I like them.

6. 281ric

281ric Road Train Member

Oct 20, 2011
    TX
    ive seen the pros at the pipe yards doing this same thing. I cringe every time

7. terrylamar

terrylamar Road Train Member

Oct 8, 2006
    Austin, TX
    To keep from scratching your safety glasses, store them in a glasses case or pouch, even a stiff plastic bag will do. I store my hardhat with the safety vest rolled inside it behind my seat. They make a little rack for hardhats, you can adapt it to fit somewhere in your truck, on the headliner, on the seat, attached to your cabinet doors, be creative.

John B. Hood and Rollr4872 Thank this.
  8. terrylamar

Oct 8, 2006
    Austin, TX
    Roll your tarps the same way every time, so you can get it exactly centered on the load every time.

Get a Maverick driver to show you how to fold a tarp using bungies and your siderail.

9. terrylamar

Oct 8, 2006
    Austin, TX
    Leverage works better than strength or weight. If you carry pipe stakes, the round ones, slip it over the end of you winch bar and get an additional four feet of leverage. I don't always recommend using that much leverage. You can break things and bend winch bars. Learn to belly strap and choke strap on pipe to make the load more secure.

10. Flightline

Flightline Road Train Member

Oct 1, 2011
    Almost There
    I carry an 18" peice of pipe for releasing flip binders, easier than getting the bigger bar out.
    Never tried to use it in addition to the long bar.

11. Flightline

Flightline Road Train Member

Oct 1, 2011
    Almost There
    I also pickup and save all kinds of peices of rubber like mudflaps and floor mats for cargo and tarp protection. Never had to buy any.

Kinda amazed how many rubber mudflaps I find in the back of truckstops when walking the dog.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.