Tips and Tricks of flatbedding

Discussion in 'Flatbed Trucking Forum' started by Flightline, Feb 23, 2014.

1. Flightline

Flightline Road Train Member

Oct 1, 2011
    Almost There
    This is how I hang my ratchets in my chains inside my rack[​IMG]

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. terrylamar

terrylamar Road Train Member

Oct 8, 2006
    Austin, TX
    You are creating extra work for yourself by having to remove every binder before you can get to a chain.

4. Flightline

Oct 1, 2011
    Almost There
    I use them almost everytime I'm chaining. So I pull them down first and when put them away last.
    Only time they are extra work, is if I'm not using all 4.

So tell me your better way, please.

5. skateboardman

skateboardman Road Train Member

Jan 14, 2012
    flatbed heaven

hmmmm, I use a binder every time I use a chain, and I cant recall using one chain. and terry , if you saw his setup with that enclosed drom box , you would be amzed at it. flightline don't waste anything

6. Flightline

Oct 1, 2011
    Almost There
    Thanks Skateboard. I wish I could get my wife to agree.

7. BAYOU

BAYOU Road Train Member

Sep 23, 2010
    Beaumont,Tx
    To agree or understand why you have so much stuff.....I'm looking at new enclosed headache rack now mines done good but I need some shelves in the middle and I'd like to start carrying one set of tarps on my truck instead of having two sets for each trailer......now I have both trailers rigged out.
    [​IMG]

8. Cluck Cluck

Cluck Cluck LTL Wizard

May 6, 2010
    Dunkirk, Indiana
    Well I like to live by the Keep it Simple method.

1. I like to keep everything together. Neatly and orderly. I can't handle the messes some guys have in their boxes or their racks.

2. I enjoy having my trailer empty of everything that can/should be in a tool box like tarps and chains. It makes the loading process quicker and alot less work.

3. If I haul a load with multiple stops I like to strap each stop down individually. For example if you have say a load of pipe. With 4 stops. And you have stops on top of each other even though it might take a couple extra minutes I strap each layer that way when you get unloaded you pull the straps off roll them up throw them in the box and roll. If you saw some of my 8/9 stop implement loads you'd say wow over kill. But when ya pull in and out in 10 minutes it's totally worth it.

4. Do the job right the first time. Everytime. I feel like this is the reason I NEVER have to stop and tighten straps or chains down.

Maybe not tips but rules I like to follow

Oh and separate you rachets from your straps quit being lazy

9. BAYOU

BAYOU Road Train Member

Sep 23, 2010
    Beaumont,Tx
    I did a local load of pipe yesterday went 14miles the other drivers there said where ya headed....when I told them they said I'd put 6 straps and roll I had 11 it don't matter how far I'm going anything can happen, I had a friend of mine get killed cutting his grass so anything can happen
    [​IMG]

10. gingersquatch

gingersquatch Medium Load Member

Dec 15, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Brings me to one of my favorites. "Overkill is underrated." Should be a mainstay in flatbedding

11. kachup

kachup Medium Load Member

Oct 23, 2013
    I wash the tarps after winter every year with the pressure washer. Keeps them looking new, looks good and dont get you dirty, and it keeps the Grommets and the D rings rust free.

Another trick for step decks is a bit expensive but if the loads pays, you could do it. Use 8x8 as load levelers, tie it down with chain, do two sets on the bottom deck. Ive done with my trucks a few times with light loads, idk if it works with heavy pipes.

Use old 30x2 old rugs to load anything with steel tracks. (keep them dry and easy to storage and fold up) keeps your trailer floor looking good

If your loading tall loads for example hay or pallets, and the strap dont reach, use a chain. tie the chain to the side rail and hook the strap to the chain. quick solution.

Loading Container on step decks and don't have container locks, on the front use the folded tarp as a latter and put it against the container as a latter, Tie the chains from the top hole, cross the chain and tie down. chain down on the back using bottom holes (cross two chains if it hangs on a 48 ft) just use one chain if it don't hang off the rear and one strap in front of the first axel, that container wont move. Loaded or empty.

buy a coil tarp if you haul coil on daily basis.

throw the straps from opposite side, easy on you and wont break lights if they stick out.

chain down your tarps if you keep them outside with a lock, especially in Houston lol

if you are tarping tall loads, tell the forklift guys to put them on top, or tarp it before loading the object on the trailer.

Dont load over 900 bags of onions, brokers will pay you the same. Use two straps on the first and last pallet.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.