Tips and Tricks of flatbedding

Discussion in 'Flatbed Trucking Forum' started by Flightline, Feb 23, 2014.

1. 281ric

281ric Road Train Member

Oct 20, 2011
    TX
    that's local pipe guys for ya. I see them doing that all the time. A local company that runs pipe out the beltway wouldn't throw a single strap because they were just running them a block down the road.
    They got shut down for a few months

Odin's Rabid Dog Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Macneil

Macneil Heavy Load Member

Dec 15, 2010
    Sudbury, ON., Canada
    I have an extendable painted pole with the roller handle attached to it for putting corner boards on tall loads and use it to move a pesty strap over an inch(or sometimes a foot..lol).

4. Flightline

Flightline Road Train Member

Oct 1, 2011
    Almost There
    Could you post a picture of the end of the roller handle attachment? I've wanted to set up the same thing, just not sure on the best attachment.

MJ1657 Thanks this.
  5. MJ1657

MJ1657 Road Train Member

Jan 28, 2012
    Isanti, MN
    +1. I've been trying to think up an end to put on my pole.

Cluck Cluck Thanks this.
  6. MJ1657

MJ1657 Road Train Member

Jan 28, 2012
    Isanti, MN
    I carry a can of 1" roofing nails. If I have to tarp crates or anything with sharp wood edges I nail my carpet samples to them so they dont fall off when I'm pulling the tarp over. Nice part about 1" nails is I can pull them off without using the claw on my hammer.

7. Macneil

Dec 15, 2010
    Sudbury, ON., Canada
    Just a painters pole with the handle you would use for a normal roller to paint the walls in your home. Mine is old and may or may not have gotten beaten up a few times so it's held together with tape now but still works!! I'll get a picture when I go out to my rig later.

Works awesome. I even use it to grab the chain link end of straps if I have a sissy throw over three tiers of lumber instead of tossing it over again and wasting time, I grab the pole(stored under my bunk) and yank on the strap.

Jacked Jaw Thanks this.
  8. Ruthless

Ruthless Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2010
    The City.
    It has a thread on tip right?

I used the extendable version of a painters pole so I can store it compressed under the bunk. Took 2 ~3.5" paint scrapers with the screw on ends, smashed the handle off one, drilled a matching hole thru both (spring steel, it was a pita but I'm too hard headed to change plans) and put a 3/8" bolt thru with some washers in between for space. It has a 3/8"~1/2" gap at the tip. Works great for moving corner protectors up tall loads, moving straps, and hooking bungees up to higher grommets than I can reach without having to get the ladder moved for every placement.

9. Ruthless

Ruthless Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2010
    The City.
    Also I left the bolt long enough out of the side about 1/2" so it can be used to hook chain ends, or flat hooks that haven't made it far enough down to grab.

10. Macneil

Dec 15, 2010
    Sudbury, ON., Canada

Yes screw on tip. Mine extends from 6-14'. I just keep it at 6 and it fits under bunk and I can usually reach everything with it at that length.

Flightline Thanks this.
  11. Naptown

Naptown Road Train Member

Oct 18, 2009
    Indiana
    I like to take the cardboard strips used on the edges of sheet skids and cut them down for strap protectors. Most places just throw them away, so they give them to me if I ask. Sturdy enough to reuse more than once and take up less space than plastic ones. Best of all, they don't break in the cold like the plastic ones tend to do.

DieselDisciple and fargonaz Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.