Tips and Tricks of flatbedding

Discussion in 'Flatbed Trucking Forum' started by Flightline, Feb 23, 2014.

1. bocker

bocker Light Load Member

Jun 29, 2018
    Thanks for reply, I do use protectors on sharp or ruff areas, but one thing mentioned that I never tried even though I feel it looks much more professional is to pull excess strap threw wench and fold under strap, mainly because I just didn't know how but looked it up and although I tried to do that on current load ,I decided it was not a good idea, as there just wasn't enough length to get 2 full wraps, so as I had always done just rolled all excess on wench, Maybe that's a problem, I even put cut off lenths of old strap against trailer rail as that is a rather sharp corner.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. bocker

bocker Light Load Member

Jun 29, 2018

4. bocker

bocker Light Load Member

Jun 29, 2018
    I do put one twist on straps when dealing with fragile loads that will not hold up to much compression,I just tried padding under strap at trailer side rails, maybe that's where damage begins, I'll get back after I unload and take another look tomorrow, first load on these straps was steel rectangle tubing, no sharp edge so no edge protectors, once again thank you

Lepton1 Thanks this.
  5. Lepton1

Lepton1 Road Train Member

Nov 23, 2012
    Yukon, OK
    It might be helpful if you could post pictures. I would like to see the damage to the straps you are concerned about and how you have been setting your straps.

Highway Sailor Thanks this.
  6. bocker

bocker Light Load Member

Jun 29, 2018

7. mpd240

mpd240 Road Train Member

Sep 17, 2011
    Minnesota
    Always carry dog treats. Lots of dogs at lumber mills.

Tug Toy Thanks this.
  8. bocker

bocker Light Load Member

Jun 29, 2018
    IMG_20180705_115651606_HDR.jpg Thanks for trying to help me with my strap issue.I believe I just solved the mystery of cut straps, and can't believe I overlooked it. But with another set of new straps and inspecting them on removal instead of when about to use again I see the problem. My Fontaine steel deck flat has a sharp corner edge and I always try to run straps inside rub rail which sets them right against that edge

Ruthless, Lepton1 and ChaoSS Thank this.
  9. Lepton1

Lepton1 Road Train Member

Nov 23, 2012
    Yukon, OK
    Perhaps that's why a lot of the steel trailer drivers wrap around the rail instead of inside the rail. If you want to stay inside the rail you might consider padding with something like cut lengths of old webbing or fire hose.

10. bocker

bocker Light Load Member

Jun 29, 2018
    I guess so but now when when I looked at pic again I realized that cut was from flat side of dumpster box I had on trailer apparently I'll have to cover every inch of strap that even touches load, but nobody else seems to I just don't get it

Lepton1 and kylefitzy Thank this.
  11. ChaoSS

ChaoSS Road Train Member

Sep 20, 2014
    Buy your own straps and you'll start protecting them way now than the average company driver. Just the way things are.

cke, krupa530, Lepton1 and 1 other person Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.