Tips and Tricks of flatbedding

Discussion in 'Flatbed Trucking Forum' started by Flightline, Feb 23, 2014.

1. Nessmuk

Nessmuk Bobtail Member

Jul 18, 2018
    Really? Can I wear socks too?
    Does it have to be a t shirt? No wife beaters or polo shirts?
    Is mauve ok, or are pastels better?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Doing_flatbed_nc

Doing_flatbed_nc Medium Load Member

Mar 3, 2016
    Socks in the rain? I don't know about that.

4. beastr123

beastr123 Road Train Member

Jan 2, 2014
    Moose Jaw SK CAN
    chartreuse or safety lime green, mauve would be third on the list and barbie pink for pipeyards. reflective safety strips on the bottom of the basketball shorts and the edge of the flip flops please.

Doing_flatbed_nc Thanks this.
  5. Nessmuk

Nessmuk Bobtail Member

Jul 18, 2018
    Would glitter or glow-in-the-dark make-up suffice?

6. Lepton1

Lepton1 Road Train Member

Nov 23, 2012
    Yukon, OK
    Good question.

For ANY flatbedder you should get out of your truck prepared to meet the minimum requirements of your shipper or receiver. That includes:

- Steel toes boots

- Hard hat

- Safety Vest

- High Impact safety glasses

- High Impact gloves

- Hearing protection

In some cases you may need more than that, like fire resistant clothes or an H2S monitor (for oil wells or refineries). Always get out of your truck with required PPE's (Personal Protective Equipment). This shows that you are a professional.

Yes, I've been to shippers and receivers where drivers get out in far less than proper PPE. I don't. I make it a habit to be fully ready for any requirements when I get out of my truck.

Edited to add comments about rainwear:

The best and cheapest rainwear is Frogtoggs. You can find it at any Walmart in the outdoor section. About $20 each for jacket and pants. I use them for chaining or load securement IF fire resistant clothes aren't necessary. If FRC's are needed, then I use a Carhartt rain jacket and bibs. THOSE are expensive, BUT not by any means necessary for the average flatbedder.

7. Flightline

Flightline Road Train Member

Oct 1, 2011
    Almost There
    Trash bag can work as good one time rain gear also.
    Just put a hole in the bottom, turn upside down and slide over the head.
    Couple holes in the side for the arms.
    Though I usually just get wet, and get a towel out and dry off when I get back in the truck. Rain doesn't bother me much.

stwik, Tug Toy, Lepton1 and 1 other person Thank this.
  8. InTooDeep

InTooDeep Donner party survivor

Jan 17, 2016
    Carmichael CA
    I started using Frogtoggs riding motorcycles in the rain. They are the best at keeping you dry and not to bulky or heavy to interfere with movement

Tug Toy and Lepton1 Thank this.
  9. Lepton1

Nov 23, 2012
    Yukon, OK
    When Goretex rainwear first came out in the late '70's it was a "trilaminate". This means that the waterproof/breathable layer of stretched Teflon was sandwiched between an outer layer and an inner liner layer. Trilaminate fabrics are noisy. So WL Gore, under the urging of retailers and brand name manufacturers started building bilaminate fabric in the 1980's. The Teflon layer was laminated ONLY to the outer fabric, then the manufacturer could add a separate inner liner. This stopped the noisiness of trilaminate fabric, and made it drape better, BUT it reduced the ability of Goretex to pass water vapor (sweat) through the fabric.

I know, because I did extensive field testing of outdoor products and helped design products for use in extreme conditions in the '80's and '90's. The new bilaminates SUCKED at being able to do the MAIN job of waterproof/breathable fabrics: BREATHE.

The original patents on Goretex trilaminates are long expired. Frogg Toggs started filling that gap years ago. Trilaminates ALWAYS are going to pass water vapor (sweat) far more efficiently than bilaminates.

Frogg Toggs went one better. The outer layer is a nonwoven fabric. Nonwoven fabrics are more abrasion resistant. Goretex never produced a fabric with a nonwoven outer layer. FT is by FAR the best trilaminate I have ever used. I have never been drenched in sweat after securing a load or laying in the snow or mud to chain up.

FT's are available in one color. Henry Ford black. For that reason I add a reflective vest if I am chaining up near traffic.

10. InTooDeep

InTooDeep Donner party survivor

Jan 17, 2016
    Carmichael CA
    I agree and wear a vest as well. It always amazes me how dry they keep me both from sweat and from rain snow.

back street slider and Lepton1 Thank this.
  11. Lepton1

Nov 23, 2012
    Yukon, OK
    There's other benefits to Frogg Toggs. First, they are CHEAP. About $20 each for tops or bottoms.

Second, you can wash them with your colored clothes and toss them in the dryer. You can't do that with expensive Goretex.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.