Tips for a smaller, older guy, that is a new going into flatbed?

Discussion in 'Flatbed Trucking Forum' started by Michael-CO, Jul 11, 2022.

1. Michael-CO

Michael-CO Light Load Member

Jul 7, 2022
    Aurora, CO
    Hello all! I recently finished CDL school and was not planning on going into Flatbed, but got a job that seemed too good to be true, and one that I couldn't walk away from IMO. The boss, the company, and the job just seemed too good to turn down. The boss seems like a really good man, keeps up with newer equipment, and has zero problems taking care of things, maintenance, spending money, or utilizing the latest technology. He doesn't seem to be afraid to spend money on keeping his drivers comfortable and/or happy, and I sincerely doubt I will have any problems getting things fixed or taken care of if any problems arise.

They will be training me for the first few weeks locally, and then a mix of local freight combined with OTR, with the hopes of sending me primarily OTR as time goes on and the boss expands his flatbed business. Both the boss and the other driver are relatively new to trucking in the last two years, both self-taught, both intelligent, work well together, and open to training and learning together with me as they expand their business. The truck is a newer Volvo (I think 2019, might be 2017) loaded with just about everything one needs, extremely clean, well maintained, and the Step Deck is literally brand new. The really cool thing about it is that I will be the only driver in this rig so I can set it up to my liking, needs, wants, etc...

The company was doing primarily Dry Van with not much experience in Flatbed and just got into this arena recently.

We initially talked about me coming on as Dry Van operator, but during the interview, he asked me if I would be open to doing Flatbed and OTR. After meeting with them and hearing about everything I did, and about them at length, I agreed. Mainly cause my training would be local and I won't have to be locked up with someone as a team driver for many weeks OTR for training, which I had a lot of fear about. Also because both these guys seem like really good people to work with and for, and they are totally open to helping me get into this career with a lot of flexibility as long as I am making them money, reliable, and dependable, which I am. They will train me locally and then cut me loose once we are all comfortable with it.

I was hired last week and start training tomorrow. Since that time, I have been watching TONS of youtube videos absorbing as much as possible, as well as reading as many threads from this forum and others on flatbed trucking and trucking in general. Mostly focusing on weight distribution, proper equipment and equipment in general, securing loads, and just about anything else I can find on OTR and CDL driving in general. I will also continue to do that moving forward and while out on the road during breaks. I think I have a pretty good understanding of what to expect now, job requirements, and life in general as an OTR driver. Prior to being hired, I was already watching and absorbing as much as I can on OTR drivers in general, but since being hired focusing a lot more on Flatbed trucking.

The one thing I am a little concerned with is most of the Flatbed drivers I see are pretty large stronger fella's than I am. I understand moving chains and heavy tarps around is quite a work out from everything I have read and watched so far, and have a pretty good idea about what to expect. But I am 52 years old, in pretty good shape, but only 5'7" and about 150'ish pounds. I don't fit the normal physique of the everyday Flatbed operator I see in most of the videos that I watch on youtube and have a little concern about it.

I was wondering if anyone has some tips and/or experience for a shorter/smaller fella working in this environment? Or maybe just some words of encouragement if I am overthinking this.

Any tips, advice, etc... that could be shared for a guy my size, or anything else in general that you want to point out, would be greatly appreciated. I feel pretty confident I can do it, but just will probably require a little bit more patience with myself, and a little harder work in general to get things accomplished is what I assume and expect. I am super grateful and pretty excited about the opportunity they have given me and really hoping it works out for both my boss and myself in the long run.

I may also ask some general questions in this thread as time goes on.

I am currently working through this thread now: Tips and Tricks of flatbedding

Thanks in advance.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2022
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Michael-CO

Jul 7, 2022
    Aurora, CO
    Another question I would like to ask is how common/important is it to have steal toe (or composite) boots while loading equipment? I have read that it is quite a hassle to drive with steal toe boots OTR and not the most comfortable, so I was planning on getting a pair to slip on and off only when loading freight. However, if I don't have to spend the money on them, I would rather not. I tried a bunch of pairs on in a local Army Navy Surplus place but they felt quite heavy and maybe difficult to climb around on top of trucks and freight in. I am a big fan of Keen shoes/boots and if anything, will get a pair of Keen's that is not so heavy as regular boots, more like hiking boots that will have steel toe in them like these Keen Lansing or these Keen Flint.

Do most folks use these types of boots for this situation?

singlescrewshaker Thanks this.
  4. silverspur

silverspur Road Train Member

Sep 26, 2012
    I saw a wiry, pixie-ish young woman doing flatbed work at a steel plant, so your size shouldn't be an issue. It might be an asset if you are nimble and have good balance.

D.Tibbitt, pete781693, CAXPT and 3 others Thank this.
  5. bonder45

bonder45 Road Train Member

Oct 2, 2011
    Williston, ND
    I usually where black sneakers when on the flatbed.

I only pull out my steel toe rubber boots when its gross outside or I'm on a site that requires them.

D.Tibbitt, cool7035, CAXPT and 2 others Thank this.
  6. Michael-CO

Jul 7, 2022
    Aurora, CO
    Hmm...I never thought of that because I am and do for the most part. Thanks!

jamespmack and singlescrewshaker Thank this.
  7. Bean Jr.

Bean Jr. Road Train Member

Mar 30, 2014
    Smaller? I'm 5'6" hanging from my feet! The hard part is throwing straps over a tall load. But there are tools to throw straps over.

There really isn't anything you can't do. Tall load that needs tarped? Most places will take care of it for you. Securing a load? There are cheater bars for ratchet straps. Yeah, there's really nothing that should stump you out here.

8. Michael-CO

Jul 7, 2022
    Aurora, CO
    Well that's all reassuring, so thank you. Perhaps I was just overthinking it.

Bean Jr., CAXPT, MOBee and 1 other person Thank this.
  9. Espressolane

Espressolane Road Train Member

Nov 21, 2009
    Just south of the north 40
    You will be fine. You will need to figure out what works for you. At first it may be a bit overwhelming, your going to Get lots of stuff thrown at you. Best bet, use your eyes and ears. When you do have a question, think it out first, then ask. Be careful with YouTube stuff, lots of people really don’t know what they are doing and pass on bad info.

10. Kyle G.

Kyle G. Road Train Member

Jan 23, 2016
    Eastern Iowa
    Welcome to the forum and welcome to the flatbed world! You’ll be fine. Although I am rather tall (6’5”) and slim, I am not exactly in shape and definitely not strong. Basically I look good from a distance lol. But I get by just fine, in fact I wish I was shorter most of the time.

11. singlescrewshaker

singlescrewshaker Road Train Member

Dec 31, 2017
    Little Havana, FL
    10-4

What also kinda has me worried for him is the Boss has almost no open deck experience either, couple years swinging amazon doors & is self taught if I read the opening post correctly..?

That being said, I'm self taught also. But started out run'n very light, less than 17k lb freight. Also had be working around 100+ ton crawler cranes, so I understood something about rigging & securement. Granted that's not same, but I was in NO position to teach anyone, & still wouldn't..

All that said, yes get some
    -steel or composite toe waterproof boots
    -jeans or dickies pants
    -2-3 pair leather gloves
    -hardhat
    -hi vis vest or T's
    -safety glasses
    -ear plugs

Show up look'n ready to work. Delivering on a jobsite this goes a long way. I've seen more than a few foreman lose their mind when some me no speakie jumps into the dirt with a sleeveless shirt, mesh shorts, & flip flops.. Lol Don't be that guy..

I been row through the box in steel toe wellingtons for 9 years. Your feet get used to the boot in 3 days if you've got a decent pair. I got a truck with more room late last year. I began packing a pair of sneakers for the 1st time. Now on days I'm not loading or delivering, I'll wear them for the driving day in between. Feels weird when I stop for go go juice. Probably just in my own head though.. lol

Oh yeah, I'm a slim 6'3" ~185 lbs.. Have the fork man set the tarp up for ya on the tall ones.. lol

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.