Tire inflation System for Truck

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Midwest Trucker, Sep 21, 2018.

1. TruckerPete1990

TruckerPete1990 Road Train Member

Jul 16, 2012
    Bentonville Arkansas
    I Run the Halo system on my truck. Been running it for a little over a year now. Honestly its great in the winter time to keep the tire PSI at the min. Summer time maybe not so much but why take them off? The only thing i would say where it could improve is if it had tire equalizer built in... One big thing with them is if you go in for a tire service and the techs take them off. MAKE sure they are put back on right and tighten proper.. I had one come lose at 70 MPH and had 2 tires go flat. At least the system still works :D

If you wanna run Wheel covers. These fit over it :) Soft Cover – DEFLECKTOR

Siinman and AperiaTechnologies Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. scoobertdoo

scoobertdoo Road Train Member

Nov 11, 2020
    your cost to build a unit is most likely minimal compared to the amount of goodwill and confidence a written warranty would give to a consumer such as myself. If I own the company, I would most likely do a no questions asked five year warranty. For the 10 units a year, you would give away free that somebody damaged themselves, you would sell more because people would have confidence to buy your product knowing that you stand behind it.

Siinman Thanks this.
  4. Banker

Banker Road Train Member

Aug 19, 2012
    3 or 4 years ago one of mine wasn’t working correctly. I emailed my sales rep Sandra and a couple days later a replacement showed up free of charge. Is that the kind of service you are talking about?

Oxbow, Siinman and AperiaTechnologies Thank this.
  5. Siinman

Siinman Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2017
    Kansas City, MO.
    Can you add these on steer tires? I did not see any options for just steer tires or maybe I did not look in the right direction?

Midwest Trucker Thanks this.
  6. krupa530

krupa530 Light Load Member

Dec 3, 2014
    Orem, UT
    No you can’t.

Siinman Thanks this.
  7. TruckerPete1990

TruckerPete1990 Road Train Member

Jul 16, 2012
    Bentonville Arkansas
    No

Siinman Thanks this.
  8. RedForeman

RedForeman Momentum Conservationist

Jan 30, 2011
    I've run cat's eyes on drives for the past decade and swear by them. Halos are the ones I've seen out on the road, and seem to have an internal pump of some sort. The cat's eyes have worked fine so I never looked into the halo system any further. Cat's eyes run just over $300 an axle with the stainless hoses.

In my previous career I had an opportunity to spend about a month in Sāo Paulo Brazil on a business trip. All the big trucks I seen had a fairly heavy duty contraption on the drives, with air fed through a pipe coming off the body. The pipes on the ones I saw seemed more burly than in the picture below. Considering the vast distances with no services these guys travel, I have to figure the system is durable. Other than seeing them 15 yrs ago, I know nothing about them.

brazil-truck.jpeg

I have the Hendrickson TireMaxx Pro on both trailers. It's great when it works. The controllers are good for about 3 years before they act up, usually one of the regulators fail. I have replaced the hub caps on one trailer due to a couple leaky swivel fittings inside. I also upgraded from the plastic hoses to the stainless ones. The stainless replacements were only about $5 more a piece than the plastic ones. If you haven't already, get the calibration gauge. It's less than $200 and you can check or set your controllers to whatever settings you want, accurately. One of the tattle tale lights went out and got replaced. That had hidden a separate failure of a PPV on the air tank that feeds the TireMaxx and the slider pin retractors. It was a partial failure, so the pins would still release. With the light out, I didn't know I had a problem until I noticed a bit more tire sag under a load than I like and I pulled the hoses off the hub to find less than ideal pressure.

Pro tip: if you need a replacement controller, they're all over eBay for about half the list price from your local dealer. With the calibration gauge, you can also buy one with any preset value and adjust it to whatever you want, making it much easier to get one in hand when you need it.

With any of these systems, when getting tire service, either remove and reinstall them yourself or bird-dog the crap out of the tech doing it. The hose ends are really easy to ruin by over-tightening. The cat's eyes have replaceable seals, a little square shaped o-ring. I keep extras on the truck and usually change them out any time the hoses come off. The Hendrickson hoses are not serviceable on the valve stem end, so more problematic if a ham fisted tech stands on the wrench.

Siinman Thanks this.
  9. krupa530

krupa530 Light Load Member

Dec 3, 2014
    Orem, UT
  10. OhNoTerry

OhNoTerry Light Load Member

May 22, 2021
    I got a quick question for everybody here. So I need to adjust my Hendrickson tire air pressure system to go up some, but that’s besides my point or question.

Yesterday I got my tire patched with the whole wheel mounted off, tire tech pumped the tire up to 94 psi. I come to realize my system is at the factory setting of 95, and according to the manual the actual psi can be 5-8 psi lower than set. So I turned my valve back on and the light has remained on ever since. I check tire pressures individually and my patched tire is higher than the rest.

Does this system deflate as well as inflate?

Siinman Thanks this.
  11. Siinman

Siinman Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2017
    Kansas City, MO.
    Yes on the newer system. Here is a link to the info Hendrickson - TIREMAAX, TIREMAAX PRO-LB, TIREMAAX PRO TIREMAAX CP Tire Pressure Control System

OhNoTerry Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.