Tire inflation System for Truck

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Midwest Trucker, Sep 21, 2018.

1. Siinman

Siinman Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2017
    Kansas City, MO.
    Also here is another link that shows you kind of what you have if you are not familiar with it. https://www.hendrickson-intl.com/getattachment/704a65ee-d8a4-4e4b-afcb-14c80f9df91f/L1017.pdf

OhNoTerry Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. OhNoTerry

OhNoTerry Light Load Member

May 22, 2021
    Well, first off, thank you so much! I haven't had the time to go through the more intricate things like this air system outside of what I knew from my previous outfit. Are you or the other guys in this thread able to pretty easily service this air system or do you guys leave it to the pros?

Siinman Thanks this.
  4. Siinman

Siinman Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2017
    Kansas City, MO.
    It can be done pretty easy but I hardly do any kind of service on my stuff. When I am home I like home time to be home time. That website has all the info you need to do anything to it. Pretty easy system.

OhNoTerry Thanks this.
  5. RedForeman

RedForeman Momentum Conservationist

Jan 30, 2011
    LOL. The pros can barely get the valve stem hoses off without messing it up. If you aren't doing it yourself, you're pretty much screwed.

OhNoTerry and Siinman Thank this.
  6. RedForeman

Jan 30, 2011
    You need the calibration gauge to check and adjust the Hendrickson Tiremaxx controller by the book. The light is turned on by the flow switch. If it's on all the time, you have a problem. The service guide you can download from Hendrickson will lead you to a solution.

In the mean time, if you need to use the trailer it's a good idea to shut the supply valve, remove the hoses and replace valve stem caps, and throw some gorilla tape over the hub ports to keep trash and water out. Running with an unknown fault is asking for trouble.

20220417_220100_copy_450x600.jpg

OhNoTerry, Midwest Trucker and Siinman Thank this.
  7. OhNoTerry

May 22, 2021
    My patched tire is running 7 psi higher than the rest. I do have the pro system so I’m going to let it run today (I’m empty) and hope what I’m hearing is it relieving pressure to equalize.

8. RedForeman

Jan 30, 2011
    That's not how it works. With decent trailer tires approaching $500 a piece installed, and liability insurance premiums already sky high, your strategy is unwise. Disable the system and don't depend on it until you fix it right.

9. OhNoTerry

May 22, 2021
    I’m lost here.. what is there to fix? The light comes on when the system is active.. it was working fine until I took the nail to that tire and now that tire was prefilled by the tire tech over the psi of my remaining 7 tires and my past my set point on the system. The system is designed to relieve pressures as well as inflate.

10. RedForeman

Jan 30, 2011
    Say you have a 95 psi controller. It will maintain system pressure between 95 and 105. It will fill to 95 and stop. If the pressure increases past 105, for example taking off on a cool morning and driving into the afternoon when it's hot, the system will vent down to 105 and stop.

The single tire being off can be adjusted manually and you should do that. Eventually it will equal the rest after a few inflate cycles if you don't. The bigger deal is the light being on all the time. If air is flowing all the time, you have a leak somewhere. You even said you heard air leaking. Where?

It could be coming from anywhere from the controller out to the tires. Inside the controller there's two regulators that could have failed. Without the test gauge you have no way to tell what those are doing even if they aren't leaking. Air lines connecting the controller to the hubs are prone to get holes rubbed in them where they are usually zip tied to brake hoses and such. There could be a leak at the swivel inside the hubcap. There's a vent tube out at the end of the axle where you would hear a leak if that's the case. Of course you could also have a failed tire repair, bad valve stem, or another nail you missed or picked up after the repair.

Failing a visual diagnosis, you can pinch off individual lines with vice grips, starting at the controller to start a process of elimination. The system is losing air somewhere, and running it as-is is not the smart play. It's not going to self heal.

Siinman, roshea and OhNoTerry Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.