Tires rolling when moving tandems while brakes engaged?

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by scott180, Nov 30, 2021.

1. beastr123

beastr123 Road Train Member

Jan 2, 2014
    Moose Jaw SK CAN
    Set your brakes. If you use the trailer brake handle while parked with only the yellow button pulled and the red still in you can listen to the slacks ratchet one click with each application. If the red button is out you can't get application air back to the trailer.
    Liquid soap for slider lube will not capture dirt and dust and the excess will flush off in the first rain.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2021
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. scott180

scott180 Road Train Member

Dec 10, 2012
    Tooele, UT

Rideandrepair Thanks this.
  4. Pamela1990

Pamela1990 Road Train Member

Nov 7, 2021
    B.C. Canada
    Must be some dandy pre trip inspection you all did.

skellr, Magoo1968, DRTDEVL and 2 others Thank this.
  5. Rideandrepair

Rideandrepair Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2015
    The purpose here is to share knowledge and learn something. Never too old to learn. I’ve learned by running old equipment. When I first started, I drove old stuff that always had problems. I learned a lot. Learned things many didn’t Driving new equipment. It has paid off well. There’s always a first time for everything. Always something to learn, or add to current knowledge. It never ends. I like that part of Trucking. Otherwise boredom would set in.

circle h, kemosabi49 and nikmirbre Thank this.
  6. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    if the slacks don't work. They don't work.
    Has nothing to do with a specific pressure technique. They need to be replaced.

look at your brakes. Gaps between brakes and drums tell you adjustment is out. Course, you've already figured it out as the brakes don't hold.

If they can't hold while trying to adjust the tandem. Imagine the poor breaking effect at 70 mph.

Always adjust them when they don't work. Last thing you want is OOS from an inspection.

Rideandrepair and Pamela1990 Thank this.
  7. ibcalm19

ibcalm19 Road Train Member

Nov 30, 2015
    Pennsylvania
    I do grease mine it will help them to slide easier. I use just regular grease from my grease gun. It makes for a smooth slide. I have helped a few drivers along the journey with greasing their rail when having this problem. Definitely always check the brakes as well. Enjoy the ride trucker

Pamela1990 Thanks this.
  8. Cattleman84

Cattleman84 Road Train Member

Nov 1, 2017
    The Sticks, Idaho
    Grab a wrench, climb under that trailer, adjust brakes... While your there inspect brakes for excessive wear, replace if needed. Problem solved.

beastr123 and Pamela1990 Thank this.
  9. Tb0n3

Tb0n3 Road Train Member

Oct 5, 2012
    Earth
    If the automatic slack adjusters are out of adjustment then manually adjusting them is a lost cause because they might just go right back out because the clutch failed.

If your tandem slide is too sticky then just hope you have a trailer spike/brake lever. Use that to add force since spring brakes are not max braking force, or hit it while moving to shock the slides into motion.

10. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    Auto adjusters don't lose their adjustment unless they're totally shot. Which doesn't happen often.

Autos go bad all the time.
    I think I've only had 3 that wouldn't hold in 20 years. One of those 3 was a manual.

You'll be ok to adjust them.

Just because they won't adjust. Doesn't mean they're worthless.

11. Tb0n3

Tb0n3 Road Train Member

Oct 5, 2012
    Earth
    From what I've been told manually adjusting them by meeting the drum the backing off is very bad for the clutch. Just going by my old mechanic.

beastr123 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.