Tires rolling when moving tandems while brakes engaged?

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by scott180, Nov 30, 2021.

1. lilillill

lilillill Sarcasm... it's not just for breakfast

Nov 7, 2007
    Possum Booger, Alabama
    My guess using my psychic abilities (as well as knowledge of all the crappy company trailers I've pulled): the shoes are worn out and the drums are oversize.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Savor the Flavor

Savor the Flavor Medium Load Member

Nov 2, 2018
    What percentage of your guess, would you estimate, is based upon your psychic abilities?

Axin' for a friend.

Rideandrepair Thanks this.
  4. Big Road Skateboard

Big Road Skateboard Road Train Member

May 2, 2021
    Brakes need adjustment, brake chamber springs are weak, some other mechanical issue with the brakes.

Yes, lubricating the slider rail helps, but it'll make no difference if your tire roll.

Application pressure is much more than spring pressure. So if you have a "trolley valve", release your brakes, put into gear whichever direction you need to go, pull your trolley valve and slide em.

That won't work with an air slide though unless you have someone hold the valve out.

5. tscottme

tscottme Road Train Member

Brakes out of adjustment or brake shoes worn beyond what the brake adjustment can accommodate.

6. lilillill

Nov 7, 2007
    Possum Booger, Alabama
    After channeling the spirit of Dionne Warwick and Miss Cleo, I would say about 2%.

7. lilillill

Nov 7, 2007
    Possum Booger, Alabama
    On the subject of lubricating the rails, use cheap dish soap. The waxier and cheaper, the better. Squirt it on a paper towel and wipe it on the rails.

Dish soap doesn't attract dirt and grit like grease. Of course, you'll need to reapply it after it rains.

kylefitzy, Rideandrepair and scott180 Thank this.
  8. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    considering the adjuster requires manually adjusting. Indicating that it's already no good.

does it really matter?

And it takes a long time to get to that point..if they haven't been replaced before they get to that point. Someone needs to be shot.

Rideandrepair and scott180 Thank this.
  9. scott180

scott180 Road Train Member

Dec 10, 2012
    Tooele, UT
    Front trailer axles slack adjusters were bad and they needed new breaks too. They have trailer skirts on so checking the front trailer axle is not happening except from a distance. I did give the rear trailer axle a look over and the breaks are good but one of the adjusters was out a little.
    The annoying thing is that this is a new truck and trailer to me (both 2015) and I told the mechanic that something just doesn't feel right. He said he checked and all was OK. I like my truck to be well cared for so I hope to get a good working relationship with this guy.

10. Tb0n3

Tb0n3 Road Train Member

Oct 5, 2012
    Earth
    I'm far from skinny but I can still slide under trailer axles just fine. No excuse for trailer skirts. Come in from the back if you need to.

Rideandrepair, Pamela1990 and lester Thank this.
  11. Pamela1990

Pamela1990 Road Train Member

Nov 7, 2021
    B.C. Canada
    Go between the tires if you need to.
    Its illegal to not pre trip properly.
    No I won't cut you any slack for being a hazard on the road. When you can't slow down quickly enough, and kill people, because your brakes are faulty, what then?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.