Tires rolling when moving tandems while brakes engaged?

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by scott180, Nov 30, 2021.

1. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    I stick my head over the tires and peek

Rideandrepair and Pamela1990 Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. scott180

scott180 Road Train Member

Dec 10, 2012
    Tooele, UT
    That's what I do too.
    But apparently we have guys on here that will shimmy under axels on gravel or a piss covered truck stop to inspect them daily, good for them.
    Now I'm not saying they are full of #### but I'd advise holding your nose if you stand close to them.

4. Tb0n3

Tb0n3 Road Train Member

Oct 5, 2012
    Earth
    Hey. All I was trying to do was say they were making excuses. To say you can't check anything because trailer skirts are in the way is pretty dumb. You can also slide the axles.

5. scott180

scott180 Road Train Member

Dec 10, 2012
    Tooele, UT
    Not making an excuse. I said it just wasn't gonna happen. I could crawl under there and check every weld and inch of the trailer frame for cracks too. I could, but that also isn't going to happen. Some things I trust to the mechanics that know what they'relooking at. If I can't see it without putting on coveralls and using a creeper then it's not getting caught by me. I do catch most things on a normal non coverall pretrip and how things feel when driving. I asked about possible lub because I just had the brakes checked and was told they were fine.

Rideandrepair Thanks this.
  6. TASK

TASK Bobtail Member

Dec 10, 2021
    Do you pre-trip? Brakes are WAY out of adjustment and you run the risk of killing someone and yourself. Greasing the rails will help in future, but you must pre-trip your truck man... please. Be safe out there.

7. abyliks

abyliks Road Train Member

May 2, 2010
    ludlow MA
    Release trailer brakes, 7/16 or 9/16 wrench tighten it all the way then back off a quarter to a half a turn

meritor slacks are 3/8” and you need a flat head screw driver to pull the lock up

not greasing is the number one reason auto slacks go bad, manually adjusting them all the time will strip the teeth, but these are probably already junk, you could try hitting them with grease and adjusting and see if they hold, if not, I would deal with it until brake time and do all 4 with bushings/s cams and cams and throw it all away.

I had 2 original slacks on my 97 kw when I ripped everything apart, 4 new gunights on it now, front 2 were newer.

I do a thorough “pre trip” including brakes once a month when I grease (6k miles or less), lights tires etc are checked daily

Last edited: Dec 10, 2021
  8. Lennythedriver

Lennythedriver Road Train Member

Feb 14, 2020
    They’re loose, half the trailers where I currently work it seems so this. But don’t ignore it. The brakes need to be adjusted. If you needed to stop abruptly or going through a mountain pass you won’t have the braking power.

That said, you don’t won’t to clamp them down to tight either. Doing so could smoke out the brakes while driving, even to the point of a fire.

If you work for a company that you seem to stumble on lots of trailers this way? The shop isn’t doing their job and the trailers aren’t inspected frequently enough. Every now and then is one thing, but all the time? Red flag on cheap lacking maintenance.

9. skellr

skellr Road Train Member

Jul 17, 2011
    The Village, Portmeirion
    Don't trust automatic slack adjusters. 2015 to current is plenty of time for them to quit working from lack of grease.
    Do you ever have to take them in for "service"? When you have fresh grease in them it is a good time to mash the brake to the floor a few times. They don't auto adjust until you hit 85psi of pressure or so. You really have to stand on it...

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.