TMC Transportation, Inc. - Des Moines, Ia.?

Discussion in 'Motor Carrier Questions - The Inside Scoop' started by JCarr, Oct 21, 2005.

1. Toby

Toby Light Load Member

Aug 25, 2006
    Indiana
    Good Evening Guys,
    Another company has come to my attention in my area. TMC out of Iowa.
    I was just wondering if anybody was familiar with them. I did receive a pre- hire offer today from Roehl when I finish my CDL training. It seems from the site they are a good company. Any feedback would be great.
    Thanks

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    There are many posts here regarding TMC with varying opinions. I find that any company that hauls building materials in the quantities that they do don't pay much and will try to run you ragged, but I can't say for certain.

Duckie used to work for them and he liked it there. He could probably give you the best info.

Just don't be fooled that nice equipment they have. Check them out thoroughly, just like any other outfit, before signing on with them.

4. Toby

Toby Light Load Member

Aug 25, 2006
    Indiana
    Thanks. I will look into them a little further. Right now I think am am going to go with Roehl. I haven't really read anything bad on them at this site yet.
    Thanks Again

5. Burky

Burky Road Train Member

Roehl has a really good reputation, and you are living smack in the middle of their freight lanes. They have van, flat, and curtainside divisions, so you could possibly switch at some point and find another type of trucking more to your liking.

They are a great place to get a start. Pay is by the mile, as with most companies, so you'll have to run to make your money, but they aren't a bad choice at all.

6. Rawlco

Rawlco Medium Load Member

Aug 13, 2006
    Central Maine
    TMC has had a few problems lately, mostly due to drivers trying to push too hard and log "incorrectly." There are several attractive things about TMC however:
    1) You have a choice of pay by the mile or percentage pay where you get paid a percent of what the load pays.

2) Your percentage rate can increase or decrease depending on how often you are on time, how clean your truck is, etc.

3) For your first six months (after training) you are guaranteed $650 per week minimum on the percentage pay scale even if the truck doesn't make that much.

As with any company it is the drivers responsibility to work and log legally as well as make sure the truck is in good condition. I believe that TMC suffers from many lazy drivers who have been able to break rules before and it is finally catching up with them.

7. Toby

Toby Light Load Member

Aug 25, 2006
    Indiana
    Hi Burky,
    I went out to the college today to meet with the counselor Bob. He had to leave and wasn't there. The training building is a very old run down building
    and inside it seemed very disorganized. They were in the process of pulling many, many past student files for retesting past students per request of the State. I am suppose to meet with him again next week. She boasted of student placement,but she mentioned all the companies that the drivers on the thread say aren't that good. She did say they would take a truck and trailer for me to Indiana for testing. I am not sure which way to go. The
    $3900.00 is alot of money. If I do go there, they have me slated in the evening classes after I get off work. It's eight weeks, so I will finish December 16th. Isn't it great, I'll be able to get my first winter driving out of the way right off the bat! Based on what I saw today, do you think I should keep looking for another training school?
    Thanks

8. earthbrown

earthbrown Medium Load Member

May 27, 2006
    SAVE $300-500 and home expenses, and go to Central Refrigerated Service driving school...

2 weeks, they pay for room and board, and 2 meals per day, you will need $$ for lunch.

4 weeks otr with trainer, some good some BAD....stick it out get your truck and make $$$..

K

9. Toby

Toby Light Load Member

Aug 25, 2006
    Indiana
    Thanks, Were are they located and do they have a web site?

10. earthbrown

earthbrown Medium Load Member

May 27, 2006
    wait, have you attended school yet?

if not, do to centraldrivingjobs.com

Do your own research, But from my experiance, they are a VERY good company.

They have a few schools around, you would probably attend Medina, NY.

School IS only 2 weeks,you start on a monday, and by friday of the next week you have your CDL assuming you pass state road test.

Even though the school is only 2 weeks, the instructers are great and class size is small. You learn basics, you will learn 2 backing maneuvers, but nothing too technical. YOU will learn most of what you will need when you go out with your trainer.

TRAINERS, as with all OTR trainers, can be good or bad.

I luckly had a good one/

If you have a bad one you will have to deal with it, unless he asks you to break the law or do something unsafe.

for the 2 weeks in CDL school you make no money.

first 2 weeks training $500

second 2 weeks $525

School costs 3000, BUT you only pay $1200 assuming you last 1 year with the company.

11. vader666

vader666 Bobtail Member

Sep 2, 2006
    I am looking at TMC and I was woundering if it is a good place to work or not. I would like to find a good flat bed company to drive for. I don't have any flat bed tranning but would like to find a good place to drive. I am working with Werner right now they are a good company to work for but I am looking for a new place to work. I have about one year of otr right now and a clean MVR. I would like any feed back that I could get.

Thanks vader
    BE SAFE OUT THERE!!!!!

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.