TMC Transportation, Inc. - Des Moines, Ia.

Discussion in 'Report A BAD Trucking Company Here' started by TurboTrucker, Apr 23, 2006.

1. TB John

TB John Company Shill of BYOB & CBD

Dec 28, 2008
    The whole point to the exercise was to to see if you could drive THEIR equipment. All Peterbilt I think, with 13 speeds. If you couldn't what would be the point of keeping you? Digging your heel and taking a piece turf out sounds pretty chicken#### to me. Sounds like they made the right decision.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. FirNaTine

FirNaTine Light Load Member

Nov 12, 2008
    South Jersey
    A truck driver should know how to operate any make or model of truck, thats why he/she is called a truck driver and not a Freightliner driver, or Peterbilt driver or insert your favorite truck here driver. I can see not being familiar with it for the first 5 minutes maybe but come on. Thats being way too picky.

4. JustAnotherNewTrucker

JustAnotherNewTrucker Bobtail Member

May 25, 2009
    Olmsted Falls, OH
    I was there for training. Here I'll spell it out for you T-R-A-I-N-I-N-G. The road instructor said it was not a pass or fail. When we were done mike told me I would be out with a trainer about 4 to 6 weeks. Why would he tell me that then. So then "they" could Train (here's that word again) me to drive the truck the way "they" wanted me too.

Now I do. I've been trying for awhile to get into TMC, I was able to back the truck up, no problem,but I back it up my way. I take my time, get out and look, I do it safe. Plus if I could back up how would I been able to get my CDL's in the first place.

You hit the nail on the head, That was the whole problem, but I was able to back with my mirrors, took me little longer, but I was able to do it.

It was a 13sp I was in and when I asked the instructor what RPM's to shift at he told me to shift what I always shift at. So ok, I shifted at 1500 and down shifted at 1000. How I was taught. Later on he told me that I had to shift in the low gears between 800-1000 and when I get into the higher gears shift 1100-1400, but he told me when the test was complete. Plus being a 13sp he wanted me the split all of the high gears, which was a bit weird, but I was able to do it. I then asked why he didn't tell me before and mike said that he thought I'd knew that. He asked if they had gone over shifting in class and I told him no. That, today (monday) was my first day.

I'm still a new driver, All of this is still new to me. It might take me a few days or so to get used to a truck, but when I'm used to it, I'm able to drive it no problem. It's funny how some people forget that they where new to truck driving at one point in there life. They pry had other drivers telling them the same thing. Is that what you call passing the knowledge down.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 11, 2009
  5. Smurf5485

Smurf5485 Bobtail Member

Jul 11, 2009
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    I'm glad i read these comments. I was just getting through the hiring process. I think i need to ask more questions.

6. FirNaTine

FirNaTine Light Load Member

Nov 12, 2008
    South Jersey
    Well its new to me as well, TMC was my first tractor trailer job. I was used to driving the CDL school wrecks and straight trucks before that. They give you a few days with the trucks to get it down but it sounds like you gave them a attitude and they booted you before you could prove yourself. The two weeks at TMC isn't training per say, its a two interview to see if you can follow rules and handle BS and other stress, they purposely push your buttons to see if they can rattle you and see how you react under pressure. And it seems they got to you easily.

TMC is not for everyone, I question some of their practices and hated the 2 week orientation but just keep my mouth shut and sucked it up and continued to show improvement and passed it.

7. KeithT1967

KeithT1967 Road Train Member

Nov 12, 2008
    Springfield, Ohio
    Hmmm, really now. So you're saying that a truck driver should be able to hop between a 360 detroit with a 9 spd to a 525 Cummins with a Super 10, to a straight 10 370 Cummins, then to a 325 M11 Cummins and super 10, to an 18 then a straight 7, to a 15...etc etc etc... I'd love to see you do it. :)

8. Little Princess

Little Princess Bobtail Member

Jun 13, 2009
    kingman,az
    You are correct pertaining to wheel base, yet trucks, just like your car, also have different axel factors built in at the factory to prevent accidents. Drive 2 different manufacturer vehicles, same size (ie. 2 medium 4drs) you will notice the the year and make dectate how tight to the left or right the vehicle turns. Same with trucks.

The 379 Peterbilt will turn on a dream to the right, which makes the truck easier to blindside park, where as the freightliner is designed at the front turning radius to turn tighter to the left, which makes for easier driver side setups.

I do not find amusement with drivers who cannot blindside park, it is like driving your car, you get used to doing things one way, and cannot or have extreme difficulty doing it a different way.

I do agree with you that the concepts for blind side backing, parking ect are the same for driver side manuevers. Same setups ect. Unless one is parallell dock parking, even parallell parking is the same. Alot of drivers, including the older drivers, are terrified of blindside parking, having it ingrained into thier driving habits, that the right side totally does not exist at all. Just like in your car, you have the same space limiting view on the right. Just make sure your mirrors are adjusted to compensate for a wider range of view, just like you do in your car.

As with all backing! Get out and Look! Just because it is on opposite sides of your truck, does not mean that you do not still have that huge stack, and trailer blocking your view.

Oh, the Peterbilt also has mmore blind spots which cannot be eliminated due to the mirrors, than the Freightliner or Volvo does. With both of those, you can virtually eliminate everything except your front and rear end. The peterbilt, you cannnot even eliminate the blind spot at the passenger door.

Am ending this before I start talking in circles ^.^

9. eckz

eckz <strong>"Radio Rambo"</strong>

Sep 15, 2007
    Detroit, Michigan
    Not sure if it was changed or not, but they do explain progressive shifting techniques, and how they want the trucks to be shifted during the classroom part of the orientation, this is also the part where you should've been using the simulators to get used to the 13 speed, turning, backing, etc.

You used to do all this before they put you in a real truck, I guess either something changed, or you're leaving allot out of your statements.

10. P The Fat Trucker

P The Fat Trucker Bobtail Member

Jun 4, 2009
    youngmansoupie, japan
    i heard they are changing their name to tmcf, too
    much
    cheap
    freight

11. DIRTROAD

DIRTROAD Bobtail Member

Jul 11, 2009
    SOUTH CAROLINA
    WOW, Back in about 1998 TMC had some regional lines so I figured why not. Well just a couple of days into the orientation I new something was fishy. Lets just say I am glad I got up and walked out way back then. I guess the moral of the story is to always follow your gut.

The Branch of TMC was called Southport I think. I remember the guy from orientation too. I think he called himself Eddie. That's not what the rest referred to him as though.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.